Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Politics in Music
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.26.2008, 08:16 PM   #61
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
The rap industry is not sustained by people in the hood (who as a market force are pretty negligible.) It's sustained by white, largely middle class males who get off on a certain romanticised idea of ghetto-life. Black kids in Compton may listen to it on the radio, but it's not for them. If anything they're simply buying into somebody else's version of their life.

that depends what part of the rap industry you're talking about, if you're talking about someone like dj screw then i'd say his market was almost entirely people from the ghetto, if you're talking about puff daddy, then his market was white women who aren't from the ghetto.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2008, 08:19 PM   #62
sarramkrop

Politics in music can suck my arse for sure, regardless of the nature of the problems.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2008, 08:24 PM   #63
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
There's gonna be exceptions, and massive ones when it comes to someone like P Diddy, but I'm talking more generally in terms of the industry as a whole. It's certainly true that major artists like the Wu-Tang, NWA, etc, relied almost exclusively on the college audience in terms of sales.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2008, 08:33 PM   #64
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, but on the other hand wu-tang started out by selling their first single out of the back of their cars.
Old 08.26.2008, 08:37 PM   #65
sarramkrop

Hip Hop is a shite medium when it comes to do anything politically releveant, exactly like rock and roll. It has a vague scope of influence that remains exactly that , vague, because it also delves in the oppressive nature of the treatement of people of darker colour than the lighter supremacy in such a simplistic way that becomes too incomplete and irrelevant in the reality of things. Its message is often thought as having a more powerful resonance than effectevely it has.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2008, 08:41 PM   #66
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
yeah, but on the other hand wu-tang started out by selling their first single out of the back of their cars.

People do anything everywhere, Wu Tang Clan are great but ultimately irrelevant to any political decision taken by anyone seriously.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2008, 08:51 PM   #67
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
the only political band that matters is amen.

"i go to work
i lick your ass
on my way to the top
I'M JUST A LIE
IN MY MIND
I SIT AND LICK
AND COMPROMISE"

see? Brilliant.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2008, 08:55 PM   #68
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
People do anything everywhere, Wu Tang Clan are great but ultimately irrelevant to any political decision taken by anyone seriously.

my point was that without first gaining support in poor neighbourhoods in new york wu-tang probably wouldn't have been able to break through into the mainstream, where as this was not the case at all with puff daddy, he bank rolled himself to fame and success. i wasn't really making any point about politics.
Old 08.26.2008, 08:57 PM   #69
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
the only political band that matters is amen.

"i go to work
i lick your ass
on my way to the top
I'M JUST A LIE
IN MY MIND
I SIT AND LICK
AND COMPROMISE"

see? Brilliant.

isn't the guy from amen the son of a multi-millionaire?
i.e. that song is not about politics but about his own oedipus complex.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth