Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page post comething completely irrelevant!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.22.2006, 10:29 AM   #761
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I'm just about to go and buy a new smoke alarm, because our old one keeps going off for no reason, and we don't want to burn to death over the Christmas period.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2006, 11:12 AM   #762
Destroy Rock 'n' Roll
bad moon rising

Destroy Rock 'n' Roll is a splendid one to beholdDestroy Rock 'n' Roll is a splendid one to beholdDestroy Rock 'n' Roll is a splendid one to beholdDestroy Rock 'n' Roll is a splendid one to beholdDestroy Rock 'n' Roll is a splendid one to beholdDestroy Rock 'n' Roll is a splendid one to beholdDestroy Rock 'n' Roll is a splendid one to beholdDestroy Rock 'n' Roll is a splendid one to behold
Pecan Pie rocks my socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself on Russell Brand
He is one of many 'comedians' Britain is churning out that I would gladly see die. Like I always say, better people have been shot dead.

Destroy Rock 'n' Roll is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2006, 11:18 AM   #763
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
i like your avatar, she is cute
Old 12.22.2006, 11:44 AM   #764
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
im gonna go watch harry potter 4 soon
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2006, 11:44 AM   #765
Kannibal
children of satan

Kannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's asses
look into his eyes and you shall see
why everything is quiet and nothing's free
i wonder how he's gonna make her smile
when love is running wild on the diamond sea
Kannibal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2006, 11:54 AM   #766
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannibal
look into his eyes and you shall see
why everything is quiet and nothing's free
i wonder how he's gonna make her smile
when love is running wild on the diamond sea

holy fuck! i was just humming that song!
Old 12.22.2006, 12:10 PM   #767
Destroy Rock 'n' Roll
bad moon rising

Destroy Rock 'n' Roll is a splendid one to beholdDestroy Rock 'n' Roll is a splendid one to beholdDestroy Rock 'n' Roll is a splendid one to beholdDestroy Rock 'n' Roll is a splendid one to beholdDestroy Rock 'n' Roll is a splendid one to beholdDestroy Rock 'n' Roll is a splendid one to beholdDestroy Rock 'n' Roll is a splendid one to beholdDestroy Rock 'n' Roll is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_buzzo
im gonna go watch harry potter 4 soon

I love that movie. One of my favourite adaptations from book-to-movie period, let alone the best one from the HP series, a mon avie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself on Russell Brand
He is one of many 'comedians' Britain is churning out that I would gladly see die. Like I always say, better people have been shot dead.

Destroy Rock 'n' Roll is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2006, 12:19 PM   #768
Dues
little trouble girl

Dues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to all
Quote:
Every life is inexplicable… No matter how many facts are told, no matter how many details are given, the essential thing resists telling… We all want to be told stories, and we listen to them in the same way we did when we were young. We imagine the real story inside the words, and to do this we substitute ourselves for the person inside the story, pretending that we can understand him because we understand ourselves. This is a deception. We exist for ourselves, perhaps, and at times we even have a glimmer of who we are, but in the end, we can never be sure, and as our lives go on, we become more and more opaque to ourselves, more and more aware of our own incoherence. No one can cross the boundary into another – for the simple reason that no one can gain access to himself.
What can this tell us about the extimate core of the subject, the lack and desire of the Other? That there is something at the 'center' of the subject which has been forgone. Or to put it another way, it is precisely the center of the subject that has been forgone (and thus the subject's decentering). Though again, this should not be viewed as a hollowing, as a threat to the subject, but rather as constitutive of the subject. According to Lacan, there is a necessary 'choice' involved in this 'process'. It is the choice the subject makes in favor of the Other's desire, and thereby in favor of its own subjectivity. This choice for the Other's desire at the expense of one's self, as we have already discussed, is a choice which includes a certain sacrifice, but a necessary sacrifice in order for the subject to emerge.

In "xxx xxxxxx xxxx", when considering what managing Xxxxxxxx’s writing means to him, the narrator thinks to himself, “I had stumbled onto a cause, a thing that justified me and made me feel important, and the more fully I disappeared into my ambitions for Xxxxxxxx, the more sharply I came into focus for myself.” This can be illustrative of how ‘choosing’ the Other is in fact a choice of freedom, not only in that one is ‘free’ to choose, but also in that gaining subjectivity allows you to be ‘free’ to perform (within) the will of the Other as if it were one's own: "Given the strain of reconciling myself to the project, it was probably necessary for me to equate Xxxxxxxx's success with my own". Also in this respect: “The true test, after all, is to be like everyone else. Once that happens, he no longer has to question his singularity. He is free – not only of others, but of himself” (italics, mine).

The true test, after all, is to be like everyone else. Once that happens, he no longer has to question his singularity. He is free—not only of others, but of himself.

Dues is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2006, 12:42 PM   #769
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm going to die of alcohol poisining in about 3 hours.
Old 12.22.2006, 01:20 PM   #770
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasher02
I'm going to die of alcohol poisining in about 3 hours.

rest in peace
Old 12.22.2006, 01:26 PM   #771
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy Rock 'n' Roll
I love that movie. One of my favourite adaptations from book-to-movie period, let alone the best one from the HP series, a mon avie.

yeah, this is the second time im watching it, its funny as hell!
Old 12.22.2006, 09:05 PM   #772
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Just bizarre:

Fore Shame: Did the Vatican steal Jesus' foreskin so people would shut up about the savior's penis?

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2006, 07:06 AM   #773
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Some special seasonal irrelevence!

Science explains Christmas goodwill

Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 20/12/2006

Roger Highfield reveals that a leading professor has at last figured out why we are so generous to each other at this time of year.

One of the world's leading game theorists has come up with an explanation for the orgy of goodwill and giving at Christmas, a feature of the seasonal good cheer that has baffled scientists for years.

At first glance, the universal idea of survival of the fittest should have put paid to giving presents and acts of charity since the last thing any competitive creature will do is to waste its valuable resources on another.
advertisement

But in the animal kingdom, gifts are made for good reason: in many insect and some bird species, females accept males as mates only if they are offered a morsel of food to boost the chance of reproduction; and there are many other behaviours seen in insect societies where individuals help each other, so long as they are related and carry each other's genes.

In human societies, however, we are often charitable and give to people who are unrelated to us, or whom we do not even know, particularly at Christmas. Experiments also show that we often express our gratitude by being more charitable to others. The reason for all this Christmas goodwill is spelt out in a mathematical analysis carried out by Prof Martin Nowak of Harvard University, working with Sebastien Roch of the University of California, Berkeley.

In the Proceedings of the Royal Society B, the scientists examine what they call "upstream reciprocity." Prof Nowak explains: "If someone is nice to you, you feel good and may be inclined to be nice to somebody else. This everyday experience is borne out by experimental games: the recipients of an act of kindness are more inclined to help in turn, even if the person who benefits from their generosity is somebody else."

This 'upstream reciprocity' - which includes giving to a charity at Christmas - may appear to be a misdirected act of gratitude: at first glance it only makes sense if you help somebody because they have helped you. The team's mathematical analysis shows that upstream reciprocity alone does not lead to the evolution of cooperation, which would help society to thrive, despite the simple-minded view that only the fittest should survive in our dog-eat-dog world.

But the models do show that upstream reciprocity can increase the level of cooperation if it is linked to direct reciprocity, the equivalent of "if you scratch my back, I will scratch your back."

And they also show that all important cooperation thrives if there is 'network reciprocity' - giving to people who are likely to give to another, who will in turn give to another - and so on - who will eventually give a gift to you. That embodies the concept of 'I help you and, eventually, somebody else will help me'. After calculating random chains of altruistic acts between one person and another, the team reaches a heart-warming conclusion in its technical paper:

"Our analysis shows that gratitude and other positive emotions, which increase the willingness to help others, can evolve in the competitive world of natural selection." Scrooge himself would have been impressed by their arguments which show how, even in a nature that is supposed to be red in tooth and claw, a person who has just received help may go on to help several others in "an 'epidemiology of altruism' resulting in an explosive increase of altruistic acts."

In this way, science has at last explained Christmas goodwill.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2006, 07:55 AM   #774
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
20 4
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2006, 12:46 PM   #775
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
apples
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2006, 12:53 PM   #776
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
to elaborate:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apples
Old 12.27.2006, 12:56 PM   #777
ondskan
children of satan

ondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's asses
My brother says i'm a wigga.
ondskan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2006, 12:59 PM   #778
afterthefact
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondskan
My brother says i'm a wigga.
Do you wear Fubu?
Old 12.27.2006, 01:02 PM   #779
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

whats a wigga? *forgive me
Old 12.27.2006, 01:09 PM   #780
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
Do you wear Fubu?

haha

Hey the erotic Pacman! How are you? Welcome to the board
363738 39 40414249891395391039 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth