Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page london or new york?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.02.2007, 08:31 PM   #21
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Yes we do, but gmku, the sly devil, was referring to the huge influx of immigrants London has experienced recently.
there's a kajillion people in new york who speak no english
so you know
Old 09.02.2007, 08:34 PM   #22
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
so you know

I'm familiar with such, what with that "give us your tired, huddled masses, etc" thing.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2007, 07:42 AM   #23
sarramkrop

They are two different places entirely. I find that when people moan a lot about London (which happens a lot), they generally have no life to speak for, or don't even know the place enough to really pass judgement. Just the other week I went strolling along the river in Wapping and the views from there would melt your heart, if you had one. I seriously advice any Londoner who posts on here to do that when when they think that everything in the city is shit. Personally, sometimes I hang around on the infamous gay scene, but the tag that it has never reveals how you get to know some of the weirdest people on the planet, but not bad weird, just genuinely interesting types. The public transport sucks, though. So, to conclude this brief(ish) rant, a place is only interesting if yourself is interesting enough to make it interesting.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2007, 08:52 AM   #24
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
Marry London, shag New York, chuck everywhere else off a cliff.
Katy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2007, 09:26 AM   #25
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
So, to conclude this brief(ish) rant, a place is only interesting if yourself is interesting enough to make it interesting.

in many cases however, this may involve murder and/or rape

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2007, 05:48 PM   #26
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
They're both great cities, but over the past ten years I've become overly frustrated with London. I've lived there all my life and just don't get all that excited by it. Being brought up in a place affects your perspective of it. Most actual Londoners are gonna be basic families who aren't that bothered about some exciting new bar or scene. What they notice is an infrastructure at the point of meltdown and escalating housing costs that, when combined, make it increasingly difficult to raise their family. Sad but true.

I'm sure actual NYers have a similar relationship with their city too.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2007, 06:52 PM   #27
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
They are two different places entirely. I find that when people moan a lot about London (which happens a lot), they generally have no life to speak for, or don't even know the place enough to really pass judgement. Just the other week I went strolling along the river in Wapping and the views from there would melt your heart, if you had one. I seriously advice any Londoner who posts on here to do that when when they think that everything in the city is shit. Personally, sometimes I hang around on the infamous gay scene, but the tag that it has never reveals how you get to know some of the weirdest people on the planet, but not bad weird, just genuinely interesting types. The public transport sucks, though. So, to conclude this brief(ish) rant, a place is only interesting if yourself is interesting enough to make it interesting.

But this applies to anywhere in the world. My hometown (and country) is beautiful but I don't go on about it on internet forums like I have some kind of superiority.

New York and London are not the only two places in the world worth going to.
Old 09.03.2007, 07:54 PM   #28
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
so you know

that's why new york is so fucking great

if it wasn't for them, new york would be just another yahoo town, like... most u.s. "cities"

cosmopolitism FTW
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2007, 08:00 PM   #29
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
San Francisco. Because that's were I live.

Also our Chinatown is larger than yours.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2007, 08:03 PM   #30
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Yes we do, but gmku, the sly devil, was referring to the huge influx of immigrants London has experienced recently.

Irish immigrants?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2007, 09:27 PM   #31
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
dubai
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2007, 10:43 PM   #32
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
basically, to answer the question, which i am aware that i never actually answered:
new york and london are both great cities, just like the whole of ireland that i've been to, paris, berlin, et al. i would actually like to live in berlin one day. i would've moved there instead of new york if i could but there were a couple of things preventing me from doing so...at this point in my life i don't think it would be wise for me to move out of the u.s., and my german is terrible.
Old 09.03.2007, 10:45 PM   #33
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i can't answer this question because i'm biased, i've never been to london and i've been to ny tons of times. i'm in deep love with ny but i'd love to go to london.

still, my ideal city (or place to live, however you want to read it) is mexico city.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2007, 11:23 PM   #34
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I've always like London since the Real World was there......yeah, I went there. London seems slightly less insane and as much as I like insanity, I think I'd always take a less chill spot. NYC is still really great and historical on many levels though.
Old 09.03.2007, 11:42 PM   #35
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
in all seriousness, i prefer paris over london and nyc
Old 09.03.2007, 11:45 PM   #36
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

i love paris. love.
is your sig from breathless?
Old 09.03.2007, 11:50 PM   #37
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

Quote:
i love paris. love.
is your sig from breathless?
Oui.

I spent 3 weeks and a couple of days in Paris this summer, it was lovely.

p.s. i'll be in NYC on Oct 20th for JUSTICE... you should tag along with us! I think we have some extra tickets.
Old 09.03.2007, 11:51 PM   #38
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I've really limited myself in terms of exploring the world because I only speak English. Great cities like Rome, Barcelona, Tokyo, Paris, Berlin etc., are therefore difficult for me to fully appreciate. It pisses me off that my only real option outside of the UK is America. I really wish I'd put in the effort to learn another language when I was younger. Maybe I'll take night classes in Italian or Spanish or something.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2007, 11:54 PM   #39
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I've really limited myself in terms of exploring the world because I only speak English. Great cities like Rome, Barcelona, Tokyo, Paris, Berlin etc., are therefore difficult for me to fully appreciate. It pisses me off that my only real option outside of the UK is America. I really wish I'd put in the effort to learn another language when I was younger. Maybe I'll take night classes in Italian or Spanish or something.
america is NOT your only option:
australia
canada
south africa
ireland
the netherlands (they speak english very well there)

there are great things to be found in all of these countries.

also in most countries a lot of people do speak english, however you'll be better recieved if you make an attempt to speak their language first.
Old 09.03.2007, 11:58 PM   #40
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Tokyo is amazing, but at times be a bit expensive.
I havent been to Berlin in a while, I think i'd probably like it better now that i'm older and can enjoy the night life.
Barcelona is so much fun, I love Spain.
You must visit the island of Ibiza for at least a week in your lifetime.
Italy is way cool, shopping is amazing, but I think I like Greece a tad more.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth