Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.16.2013, 10:59 PM   #401
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
In any case, From the Basement made TKOL listenable for me, and brought out the krautrock vibe that was lacking on the original album.

That is a fact, I couldn't even remotely touch King of Limbs until I heard that From the Basement, and then it was like magic, that shit clicked and ten simultaneous levels and became one of my all-time favorite Radiohead albums/performances.

As to rap,

Hey Spurs,

when we see y'all in Miami its gonna be dump bust blast yo !

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2013, 11:30 PM   #402
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

Quote:
"Like my niggaz the Thugz say, I'll see you at the crossroads

Happy Birthday Tupac! we miss you my ninja, all bullshit aside, there was no more sincere and creative voice in rap music, its not just hype, nobody had the balls to speak the religious, cultural, and political truth. You knew the Devil would have to take you like all the Saints before, the realest G'z always bear the cross. Thug luv my ninja.

Quote:
Expect me like you expect Jesus to come back, expect me nigga, I'm coming..

Old 06.17.2013, 01:56 AM   #403
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
"Jay-Z Announces New LP Magna Carta Holy Grail
Out July 4, featuring Pharrell, Timbaland, Swizz Beatz, and Rick Rubin

During game five of the NBA Finals, Jay-Z aired a commercial announcing that on July 4, he'll release a new album. It's called Magna Carta Holy Grail, and if the commercial's cameos are to be believed, it'll feature collaborations from Pharrell, Timbaland, Swizz Beatz, and Rick Rubin. Check out the commercial below.
The album will be released via an app on Samsung Galaxy phones. The app will be available via Google Play on June 24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B--ZARCwSIE"

WOW. great news to wake up to. and those beats sound like piff.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2013, 03:59 AM   #404
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
yeah, i'll check this out haven't heard shit from this dude. new rappers i like: Danny Brown(not so new), Kendrick Lamar, and Chance the Rapper( my favorite and he's like on some after school Sesame Street cartoon special soul not so innocent shit), seem to be my favs right now.
Kendrick is absolutely my fav. though i like all the rappers you've mentioned. i think that Drake, Schoolboy and Danny Brown have the potential to drop album of the year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4z4OrPmZgA
Old 06.17.2013, 04:43 AM   #405
louder
invito al cielo

Yeezus is amazing to me, gets even better with every listen. it's a don't-give-a-fuck album with no fluffiness. i already said it's his weirdest album but it's also the hardest.

oh and btw since Sev has been worried (), P4k is gonna give it an extremely positive review.
https://twitter.com/ryanpitchfork/st...10529773084672
https://twitter.com/ryanpitchfork/st...17956921155584
Old 06.17.2013, 11:24 AM   #406
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
1. "Pyrimid Song" is amazing! The friggin crazy way he drops in w/ the drums is one of my favorite moments on taht whole record.

2. From The Basement you all say? Was this released on DVD by chance? It sounds like something i should see.

3. Makavelli FTW!

4. Yeah that Jay-Z announcement made my day. We got Kanye tomorrow and new Hov next month!
Old 06.17.2013, 01:40 PM   #407
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
1. "Pyrimid Song" is amazing! The friggin crazy way he drops in w/ the drums is one of my favorite moments on taht whole record.

2. From The Basement you all say? Was this released on DVD by chance? It sounds like something i should see.

3. Makavelli FTW!

4. Yeah that Jay-Z announcement made my day. We got Kanye tomorrow and new Hov next month!

It was, but you can find it on YouTube as well. Its the version I listen to on my ipod instead of the studio version. When you hear it, you see where all that energy was intended to go, but was lost in the studio translation. I feel the same way about Atoms for Peace and Thom Yorke's other solo album the Eraser. The studio versions are absolute shit, unlistenable, period. However the soundboard recordings from several shows? Epic. Gold. Beautiful.

Old 06.17.2013, 02:34 PM   #408
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

over and over again.

The lyrics are better than 99% of the music that pretends to be rap music these days, but I just don't really dig Kanye, neither his cadence or his approach, so I can tip my cap to albums like this, but I just ain't feelin it. I ain't feeling the beats, its not my steez, its that hyper-aggressive East-Coast style, more yelling than rapping. meh.

Here is what I want to know, why is the whole country jumping about this dude? I didn't get it when he blew up like 5 or 6 years ago, I don't get it today. I appreciate that the brotha brings some substance to pop err.. rap music, but really, that substance gets lost in translation across the millions of folks who really don't give a shit and just want to bump. If I want some pseudo-conscious political rap, I'll bump that DP y'all

Old 06.17.2013, 02:37 PM   #409
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeezus is amazing to me, gets even better with every listen. it's a don't-give-a-fuck album with no fluffiness. i already said it's his weirdest album but it's also the hardest.

oh and btw since Sev has been worried (), P4k is gonna give it an extremely positive review.

But the problem is over the past few years Kanye has proven all the more that he really does give a fuck. He gives a fuck about his image, he gives a fuck about the pop music scene, he gives a fuck about all that boogie rap music bullshit. fuck beyonce. fuck all that rap shit. fuck all that music industry hype shit. fuck it. THAT is not giving a fuck. Crafting a record and image that looks like it doesn't give a fuck particularly because you do give so much a fuck? Meh.

Quote:
We're undeground reporterz, we tell what's going on around in our area our hood, you know? But FRANKLY WE DON'T GIVE A FUCK you know?. Most kids Compton don't know who the man or the president is, aren't interested in voting for you know, the police. I SAY FUCK EM!

I know I sound like a broken record, but the last two ninjaz to truly put out NOT GIVE A FUCK rap albums was Makaveli the Seven Day Theory and Eazy E Str8 Off the Streez of Mutha Phukkin Compton.

THAT was not giving a fuck. Yeezus? its all just a part of Kanye's Andre 3000 2.0 vision of himself. Trust that. I tip my cap in his direction again, but I don't trust or respect this ninja, and I will always accuse his music of being disingenuous as demonstrated by his actions.

Old 06.17.2013, 02:47 PM   #410
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
The lyrics are better than 99% of the music that pretends to be rap music these days, but I just don't really dig Kanye, neither his cadence or his approach, so I can tip my cap to albums like this, but I just ain't feelin it. I ain't feeling the beats, its not my steez, its that hyper-aggressive East-Coast style, more yelling than rapping. meh.

yeah... you have no idea what you're talking about. sorry.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2013, 02:53 PM   #411
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
yeah... you have no idea what you're talking about. sorry.

What everz homie, keep ridin that dudes nutz all the way to his bank account

Like he said, new slaves yo.

Why I could never dig this dude was that for the past years Kanye's cadence has been all the fuck off, that ninja be either (a) talking or (b) yelling but rarely if ever rapping. The key to rap music is TIMING and CADENCE, and that ninja is generally a quarter beat off the track consistently

Old 06.17.2013, 03:06 PM   #412
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
An MC needs to be talking to his people, and I have no fucking clue who Kanye's people are supposed to be.
Old 06.17.2013, 03:17 PM   #413
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
An MC needs to be talking to his people, and I have no fucking clue who Kanye's people are supposed to be.

Generally speaking, Wendy Williams and the TMZ crowd

He is like the great, black, Bieber. Ok, now I'm just hating with that one.

Old 06.17.2013, 08:09 PM   #414
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Here is what I want to know, why is the whole country jumping about this dude? I didn't get it when he blew up like 5 or 6 years ago, I don't get it today. I appreciate that the brotha brings some substance to pop err.. rap music, but really, that substance gets lost in translation across the millions of folks who really don't give a shit and just want to bump. If I want some pseudo-conscious political rap, I'll bump that DP y'all

You sound like me, almost exactly, before I found myself listening to MBDTF from beginning to end during one of those work days where your eyes never leave the screen, you work for ten hours, and leave feeling totally lost and behind.

I honestly think that Kanye has universal appeal because he's so charming, so inventive, so genuinely good at what he does, and can (if you listen carefully) establish the same profoundly emotional connection with listeners that it's almost difficult to believe that it's RAP.

... I also think his albums are all brilliant, but I haven't always thought that. I didn't like the first two until a few months ago, for Christ's sake. And I know why... it's because they felt like the same old Chicago soul "backpackery" that made me think Common was a douche.

I guess I had to listen in reverse. I always go for genre benders, and I didn't even consider buying one of his albums until 808's and heartbreak.
But now I can see how the charming, relatable, underdog became an icon by sneaking innovative music in behind the curtain. His production on Diamonds was a big moment. And the last track on College Dropout. What really started it for me was listening to "Runaway" and realizing that I'd clearly been misinformed about this guy. That's when I became a big serious Kanye fan. I can only think of one or two billboard top 100 songs from the past ten years that have been that goddamn weird and awesome.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2013, 08:19 PM   #415
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Louder,
I caved last night, and downloaded Yeezus. Saved it for this morning. Put it on at work. Listened four times, beginning to end.

Obviously, it's great. But it really is surprisingly stark. It is not a sequel to MBDTF. It's a different beast. I don't like how abruptly it ends, and some of the tracks could use a few minutes of chill time in between. Maybe some pretty instrumentals to contrast the manic, drill synth bad acid trip skullfuck buzz of the rest of the album.

Yeah, it's goddam brilliant. It's almost too intense, but not quite. I hope it sells a billion copies so he continues to fuck with trends while managing to create them in the process. I hope he's not really as angry as the album would have use believe. I actually feel sorry for him at a few points.

I really need more time to process this Chi-town chainsaw massacre of an album, but you were right in assuming that I would love it.

2013 has a new best rap album. Sorry Ghostface. Maybe repeated listens will put you back on top... I almost feel bad. Wu-Tang is my hip hop Sonic Youth. I don't relish admitting that a member has been outdone, but it's Kanye after all.
Old 06.17.2013, 08:23 PM   #416
Severian
invito al cielo

And what's the deal with this awesomely titled new album by Jay-Z? As far as flow and lyrical ability go, he's the King of the genre. Probably my favorite solo rapper out there, and he's releasing his album on a goddamn Samsung???
Old 06.17.2013, 08:29 PM   #417
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Well, there's louder, noisereductions, and myself for a few.

You don't k ow his people because they're to spread out and massive in number to constitute any kind of minority or sub-strata. He is too big to have a cult following. He doesn't appeal to one demographic. But he has people. I think.
Old 06.17.2013, 08:42 PM   #418
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

I don't read that shit, bro. I know the strength of my resistance to suggestion is no match for the Illuminati-like thought police who run that godforsaken place.

His las album got a 10, right? Well, that means that unless this one got a ten as well, people will read it and walk away with a slightly skewed view of the album's quality. The plant the seed of doubt and harvest it when the moon turns the tides of change. They form opinion. No thanks.

Though feel free to quote the parts that confirm my own bias.
Old 06.17.2013, 10:31 PM   #419
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
When judging hip hop, I don't like it when people focus so much on the lyrics/flow. It's like judging Johnny Ramone based on his technical ability. If it's creative or suits the music, it works

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2013, 11:14 PM   #420
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

This art-rap bullshit be conflating what rap music is about. Rap music is street music, its mob music, its ghetto music, its hustler music, its gangster music, its broke folkz music. Suburban kids starting listening to rap because it was controversial and seemed like Menace II Society to them. The truth? It ruined rap. When rap came out the streets and became pop music, that is what opened the door for Kanye to put out all this art-rap. Art-rap is what completely ruined Outkasts and Andre 3000, those dudes were just street dudez until that pop star shit got Andre thinking that ninja was on The Voice or some shit. Ninja please! Y'all is street, like they say at Sik Wit It, "Speak da real!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
You sound like me, almost exactly, before I found myself listening to MBDTF from beginning to end

I didn't dig that album either, it was more of the same, those things I don't like about Kanye West. I feel the Game when he said,

Quote:
But I just ain't buying that the best rappers is Kanye and Wayne, I don't win no grammies nigga I'm to gangsta
Fuck that beat is sick. Luda came out swingin on that. Plus, you just ain't a rapper if you don't mention the NBA

If they are, then rap music is dead like Bush put the nail in the coffin on grunge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_ladyland
When judging hip hop, I don't like it when people focus so much on the lyrics/flow. It's like judging Johnny Ramone based on his technical ability. If it's creative or suits the music, it works

But that is entirely the point. You either enjoy one particular style of cadence or your don't. Lou Reed or Thurston Moore? They have an off-kilter sound that resonates well with people. With hip-hop and rap, sometimes that works, but most of the time, the opposite is true. Rap is sort of all about delivery, timing, and cadence because aside from that, its just talking (unless your a singing kind of rapper like Snoop Dogg or Suga Free)

Also, I realized one of the things Kanye is missing is that backing vocal tracks, he just raps by himself, but needs to come out like e-40 rapping with himself on the overdubs. Maybe that's just some of the Zap and Roger westcoast shit, but LOVE it!
Quote:
"I was able to slip past everything with a pink polo, but I am Dead Prez." Kanye in New York Times

No. You are not. Get over yourself. DP is that RBG revolutionary but G shit. You don't be knowin bout that shit. G ain't about pimping girls and looking cute like LL Cool J yo! You ain't a G. M-1 would LOVE to have words with you about shit comments like that. You iz a rich kid making art-rap albums, some songs about substance, others mostly about the same decadence, hedonism, and materialism that ruined rap music.

Quote:
Ima tell you like papa told me, stay stay sucka free and fuck the police

Meanwhile all this Kanye/Wayne/Drake bullshit y'all be talking about, ain't none of y'all mentioned the literally DOZEN fucking knock ninjaz the fuck out albums he's put out in the
past THREE years. Unstoppable.

181920 21 2223243171 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth