Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page fucking Jury Duty
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.03.2009, 05:09 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I am killing time here while the videos play for my online Jury Orientation so that I can go in two hours later.. I plan to get off by being a Quaker, I can't cast judgment against anyone.. bastards.

jury duty would be a wonder idea if it wasn't compulsory. It is good to be judged by your peers, but if they are coerced into it there is a definite bias and conflict to justice so it is not a very good system. at the same time, if you relied strictly on volunteers then the jury pool would not be representative of the general population and therefore 'peers'

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 05:21 PM   #2
sonicpixie
bad moon rising

sonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's asses
good luck with getting out of it! i dont think i could handle that if i got called up... what else could you say that would mean you couldnt do it? you could pretend you know or recognise the defendant perhaps
sonicpixie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 05:23 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpixie
good luck with getting out of it! i dont think i could handle that if i got called up... what else could you say that would mean you couldnt do it? you could pretend you know or recognise the defendant perhaps

last time I told them I have a bias against the court and the police and I do not trust any evidence it presents.. they scratched their head and let me go.. I was prepared to get loud and angry to become a "hostile juror"

if you are assertive enough against service but in full compliance of all the bullshit steps up to the interview, they send you on your way for being polite but antagonizing.

Old 10.03.2009, 05:24 PM   #4
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't have anything to worry about.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 05:31 PM   #5
sonicpixie
bad moon rising

sonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's asses
you've been called up twice? is this normal? only one person i know has been called for jury duty
sonicpixie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 05:36 PM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't have anything to worry about.

I have absolutely nothing to worry about, I have done this before. It is the inconvenience of it all, it takes hours and even days for me to simply tell the judge and prosecutor that I am in no means interested in this whole thing to be dismissed. I am doing this orientation so that I don't have to go over there at 730am and sit there all damned morning.. hopefully the God smiles on me and the stars align so that though my number has been called once, they do not call me the first day for a jury, if they do not I am automatically dismissed..

"I know this. know all the world besides,
that part of tyranny I do bear,
I can shake off at pleasure.."

Old 10.03.2009, 05:51 PM   #7
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I would like to have jury duty at least once for the experience.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 05:56 PM   #8
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
I would like to have jury duty at least once for the experience.

I've been called once. Having a mother and sister each be the victim of
separate armed robberies at their places of employment made me an easy
scratch when they were picking the jury for a criminal trial where the
defendant was facing six counts of armed robbery. But then I was chosen
to serve on a civil case, the most fucking boring one imaginable.

I would give the experience a B-.
Old 10.03.2009, 06:03 PM   #9
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn

I would give the experience a B-.

Yr such a good american.. my experience was only mild and I still gave it a D- if not a full on F!

Old 10.03.2009, 06:10 PM   #10
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
I nodded off on the bench while a witness was speaking, hence the high
grade. You can't beat serving on a jury and taking a bit of a nap.
Old 10.03.2009, 06:17 PM   #11
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I'm helping my lawyer dad photocopy invoices for a civil case.

I might not find civil cases as boring as most.
Old 10.03.2009, 06:34 PM   #12
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I just fucking sat in a room. Fuck
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 08:57 PM   #13
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I am killing time here while the videos play for my online Jury Orientation so that I can go in two hours later.. I plan to get off by being a Quaker, I can't cast judgment against anyone.. bastards.

jury duty would be a wonder idea if it wasn't compulsory. It is good to be judged by your peers, but if they are coerced into it there is a definite bias and conflict to justice so it is not a very good system. at the same time, if you relied strictly on volunteers then the jury pool would not be representative of the general population and therefore 'peers'

And the people who did agree would be more likely to be people who WANT to pass judgement on a person.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 09:09 PM   #14
artsygrrl
the end of the ugly

artsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's asses
I've been called for jury duty only once, but it was such a waste of time. I had to call them really early every day for 3 days to see if I was "needed". Of course I had to go in just in case. Of course I was never "needed".
artsygrrl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2009, 06:13 AM   #15
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
I got out of jury duty by getting my dad to ring the court to tell them I was too ill to do it.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2009, 06:24 AM   #16
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

YEA

LET OUR SOPREME LEADER HAILIE JAKARTAWAM SELLLASSIE JUDGE US ALL

ONLY HE IS DIVINE

SEZ THE POSTER!!!!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2009, 07:09 AM   #17
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
If everyone's going to start a thread for every mundane and irksome thing they do, I'm starting a blog about the consistency of my turds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2009, 07:19 AM   #18
pbradley
invito al cielo

^ Do it to it, Lars.
Old 10.04.2009, 12:00 PM   #19
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I wrote to them telling them I was racist (I'm not at all), I worked 3rd shift so it'd be hard to be there for jury duty (I only work the weekends, so...), and I don't really believe in casting judgement on people (...I just really didn't want to do this bullshit). They never got ahold of me again.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2009, 12:08 PM   #20
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
last time I told them I have a bias against the court and the police and I do not trust any evidence it presents.. they scratched their head and let me go.. I was prepared to get loud and angry to become a "hostile juror"

if you are assertive enough against service but in full compliance of all the bullshit steps up to the interview, they send you on your way for being polite but antagonizing.

Yeah, they usually don't want to bother with nut jobs.

I've done it before and it's nothing. Once I only had to be on call as an alternate. I've also sat as a jury member in a courts martial when I was an officer in the Air Force. That was better because I was still getting my regular AF wages and the case was entertaining.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth