Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rather Ripped rocks!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.04.2006, 01:02 PM   #1
BarbecueSmell
little trouble girl

BarbecueSmell is a jewel in the roughBarbecueSmell is a jewel in the roughBarbecueSmell is a jewel in the rough
Hi everyone,i'm a newie and i just wanted to say that Rather Ripped rocks my world!
Sonic Life!

BarbecueSmell is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 01:03 PM   #2
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
yep.
welcome.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 01:04 PM   #3
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbecueSmell
Hi everyone,i'm a newie and i just wanted to say that Rather Ripped rocks my world!
Sonic Life!

It rocks my world too!

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 01:04 PM   #4
BarbecueSmell
little trouble girl

BarbecueSmell is a jewel in the roughBarbecueSmell is a jewel in the roughBarbecueSmell is a jewel in the rough
Hey thanks,why all the bashing that this great album is recieving left,right and centre?It rooooockkkkkssss maaannnn!!!!

BarbecueSmell is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 01:07 PM   #5
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
I know! Whenever I hear it I'm like "OMG! How could they produce this complete and utter pop brilliance?"

Old 07.04.2006, 01:11 PM   #6
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
dont be an ass

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 01:17 PM   #7
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
dont be an ass

Huh? .....Pop brilliance! It's one of the best albums ever.

Old 07.04.2006, 01:20 PM   #8
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
It sure does rock! Listening to it at the moment. Try to keep these threads down though, there's plenty of them already!
Old 07.04.2006, 01:23 PM   #9
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

I don't see anything wrong with spreading the sonic love. Post away, newie! Incinerate!

Old 07.04.2006, 06:57 PM   #10
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
I've only been listening to Sonic Youth since Goo came out...so I'm a relative newbie only digging rock music since I first saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan as a 7 year old !! Through the years...all the rock and pop and blues and jazz....the utter garbage of top 40 pop....all the various changes within this time and....

I first heard Rather Ripped and was blown away from the first few seconds. I immediately thought..'This is one of the most perfect POP/ROCK records I've ever heard. My opinion may be a bit overblown perhaps...but I was just so thrilled and renewed hearing it after so much mediocre POP lately. I'm one of those old timers...HA..who feels so much has been recycled and copied...but for some reason this one just hooked me from the get go.

The more I listen, the sbumerged subtleties reveal themselves.....Overall it may sound fairly simple at first but geez...the interplay of guitars is just so....so...nice. There are pretty parts too...and I never really associated SY with 'pretty'......I think they've become my favorite ROCK group now...especially after going to their Denver show....I just felt so rejuvenated. I really do....

Thank you Thurston, Kim, Lee and Steve for floatin' my boat. I'm rather ripped with your new record.....and almost as ripped from the negative posts about this new one I've been reading here. I love the dissonant too....the blend on this record is superb.....sweet vocals over grinding guitars and pretty chords too....

Oh well....

I just ordered the Deluxe editions of GOO and DIRTY from deepdiscountcd.com and eagerly await them. I dig that SY are in their 40s and appeal to kids 12 to 60 ! Not many do that nowadays....and I'm an ardent fan....diggin' em more than ever..and catching up with some records or re-releases I don't have yet. It's great...lots of stuff to get. I only have 4 of their cd's now...but will collect the others within a year or so....YAY !!!

I'm just a punk !

I'm listening to Daydream Nation right now.....excellence and outstanding !! I love their variety....
against_the_grain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 07:05 PM   #11
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Against_the_grain: Right on! Your post was inspiring.

Old 07.04.2006, 07:15 PM   #12
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Great post against the grain!
Watch out for all the Haters on this forum!

"Yes, I am a fag. Thanks for noticing!"
--HaydenAsche
Gookid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 07:53 PM   #13
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
It really is funny about all the negative I've read, especially about this new cd....Sell out and such...sheesh...

I was a big Gentle Giant fan in the 70s. While others were listening to Nugent, Aerosmith, Journey..and other garbage..I'd gotten into Progrock like GG and King Crimson and such...But GG was my favorite. They just kept pushing the boundaries of ROCK..mixed with jazz, classical, folk, blues etc....They were musicians musician's....seemingly pretentious..but just because this music blew the rest out of the water !! The insane counterpoint, mixing of instruments..the lushness.

When GG started to become 'commercial' at the end of their career...I felt probably the same as some of the posters here who see SY as toning down..or compromising..or just becoming simpler..who knows.

I don't know what it is ... but the simplicity of Rather Ripped, at first listen anyway, just captured me. As I listen more though, and I do EVERYDAY....the nuances come to the fore. It's much richer than some seem to believe. And on retrospect about Gentle Giant in the 70s...I started to enjoy their last ablum 'Civilian' alot more in later years than I did back at age 23. It's like they were running a race...faster and faster..more and more...then just decided to simplify....and then I heard the beauty in what it was by itself. But I don't think this new Sonic Youth is that radically 'mellowed' compared to their other output. I mean, in ways, yeah...like I said, I never associated SY with 'pretty'...but this one is....it's beautiful !!!

Simplistic beauty if you will.....I always liked the girl next door....not the glamour queens.

I shoot from the hip.
Old 07.04.2006, 07:55 PM   #14
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Grain, check out A Thousand Leaves, that album is very beautiful as well.

Old 07.04.2006, 08:00 PM   #15
against_the_grain
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
Grain, check out A Thousand Leaves, that album is very beautiful as well.

I will !!!

I have alot to catch up on with this band. I'm excited to have so much to get. And yes..I will BUY all their cd's in coming months.

I just fuckin' love INCINERATE...it's on now.....gorgeous !

I saw them '92 as well....
Old 07.04.2006, 08:17 PM   #16
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by against_the_grain
I will !!!

I have alot to catch up on with this band. I'm excited to have so much to get. And yes..I will BUY all their cd's in coming months.

I just fuckin' love INCINERATE...it's on now.....gorgeous !

I saw them '92 as well....
The goo tour? What city?

"Yes, I am a fag. Thanks for noticing!"
--HaydenAsche
Gookid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 08:25 PM   #17
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Grain--check this out:

http://www1.kitsapsun.com/bsun/enter...810789,00.html

That article should read "Sonic Nurse" (2004), not "Youth"

Old 07.04.2006, 08:35 PM   #18
against_the_grain
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gookid
The goo tour? What city?

It was the DIRTY tour......I saw them in Newport, RI at a private sponsored show at the Armory. They played with Throwing Muses, who were from Newport and....Cell.

Small place, about 300 people and I talked to Steve Shelley before the Denver show at his bus..and he remembered the gig. A friend of mine there had an organization called 'Shake-a-Leg' and brought in this show. There was very little advertising...I lived in Newport at the time...and I spread the word in Providence at a few places like Brown University and RISD.

*oh yeah...cool article Daycare Nation....I hear more than just 70s 'classic rock' in their influence though...I hear more of the obscurish...even King Crimson at times....some of the guitars sound rather Frippy !
Old 07.04.2006, 08:38 PM   #19
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

I saw them in Providence in 2000...I flew from Texas for the weekend, it was fun.

Old 07.04.2006, 08:46 PM   #20
against_the_grain
stalker

Providence is a cool city. I love that East side. I got thrashed at a Dead Milkmen show at The Living Room....never had such a swollen noggin' !! I loved it !

For some reason because SY did a tune 'Providence' on DN and the Talking Heads came from RISD...I just thought maybe they collaborated there in the early days....but I guess they all hooked up in NYC....

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth