Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Classic Albums: No New York
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.27.2007, 01:57 PM   #21
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
coughs, hospitals, oshiri penpenz, aids wolf, hamborginni, ex-models, nightwounds, times new viking a little, los llamarada some, death sentence: panda! a bit...not with us anymore but arab on radar and harry pussy.

liars, i guess because they are atonal but it's a different approach they actually have verses and choruses and use notes, and yeah yeah yeahs, the guitar can be as obliterated as lydia lunch's or arto lindsay's, if the drummer didn't know how to play, they would be more no wave, but they played structural melodic rock.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2007, 02:22 PM   #22
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
I like the DNA and Mars songs the most

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2007, 03:30 PM   #23
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
ex-models no wave? i dunno. maybe their last record, but their first two were.. hmm.. they reminded me of gang of four with clean guitars all the time. i loved them though!

i forgot about arab on radar, harry pussy (duh!), coughs, and hospitals.. not a big fan of aids wolf.. and i haven't heard the other bands you mentioned so i'll check em out. oh, and i forgot that the flying luttenbachers have a LOT of no wavey kinda shit going on on most of their records too..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2007, 03:35 PM   #24
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Sonically i can see Liars in the "no Wave" things ive heard, Contortions, DNA, Branca. But the more i listen to the Butthole Surfers the more i see Liars have in common with them
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2007, 06:40 PM   #25
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
eh.

actually, i was thinking, ikara colt have some no wave influenced guitar lines.. they remind me of a band who used to be a no wave band but then heard the fall.

Old 08.27.2007, 06:52 PM   #26
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
eh.

actually, i was thinking, ikara colt have some no wave influenced guitar lines.. they remind me of a band who used to be a no wave band but then heard the fall.

Well, when i saw them for the first time i didnt know what the sod they were on about. but they impressed me
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2007, 07:03 PM   #27
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
well, the only album i heard by ex-models is zoo psychology and haven't looked more int them, but that album is no wave fo sho.

yeah, the luttenbachers, weasel considers them no wave.

funny you mention that thing about the ikara colt, los llamarada are kinda like the fall if they played no wave and removed everything british about them.
Old 08.27.2007, 09:26 PM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

oh.. xbxrx are pretty no wave now that i think about it.. some o their shit..

Old 08.27.2007, 10:07 PM   #29
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

i didn't include xbxrx because they cross the line between precision and looseness in a total chaotic way.
Old 08.27.2007, 10:09 PM   #30
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

true.

one of the best bands i ever saw live.

Old 08.27.2007, 11:14 PM   #32
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

first time i saw them, they had everyone on stage with them.

second time i saw them, they completely trashed the drum set every song and by the end weasel walter was just standing there or jumping down to play the trashed drums. it was insane.

Old 08.27.2007, 11:23 PM   #33
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Weasel fucking rules. I hope I can see The Lutt's and XBXRX before I die...
videos of XBXRX I've seen are fucking INTENSE, total chaos, balloons, looks like a fucking blast.
But I don't think I'd consider them (XBXRX) no-wave, they're pretty structure stuff (though extremely discordant and dissonant).

Zoo Psychology is a really no-wavey album, and that's also the only one I've heard.

Black Eyes were pretty no-wavey, especially on Cough.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2007, 11:59 PM   #34
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Erm... yr not making any sense here, swa(y).
Yr only argument for SY being able to happen without the no-wave movement is ...that... they just could.

I honestly don't believe they would have. If they did, they certainly wouldn't have lasted long, probably as a punk-rock band or something. They wouldn't really have a grounding for noise tendencies and extreme experimentalism... I mean, I'm sure they themselves were very original people, and would have come up with a few cool ideas, but they would not be the same band at ALL, if they existed, and they wouldn't have lasted well into their twenties (and beyond).

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2007, 12:36 AM   #35
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

you know, i know i brought them up earlier in this thread.. but you all have heard bride of no no right? fucking amazing band. it's seriously like no wave songs that are like 10 minutes long.. two guitars.. it's insane..

Old 08.28.2007, 11:30 AM   #36
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

historical fact: sonic youth started in the no wave scene.
another historical fact: glenn branca started in the no wave scene.

artistically, they all were different and went on to far different things, but historically, they were part of it.

when i saw xbxrx they weren't that insane, they didn't kick the drums or had balloons or any of that shit, they even played between bands (local band opened, then they played, then another band played), but the singer and the guitar player were moshing the whole time with us crowd...probably the crowd had something to do with it, since it was mostly hipster idiots who were just standing there, arms crossed trying too hard to look cool, you know the song were they people to get down? they took more time trying to get people down than to play the whole show. even some dude i know told me "they are good but this kids still need a lot to go" and i was like "they have been around for more than ten years".

i know scissor girls but i haven't heard brides of no no, and i've heard from more people that they are fantastic.
Old 08.28.2007, 12:39 PM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

yeah, early sonic youth is the no wavest. why else would they have collaborated with lydia lunch?

and everyneurotic, definitely check out bride of no no. you'd love em.

when i saw xbxrx the first time, they did have balloons.. forgot to mention that.. second time i saw them, the singer had everyone in the crowd focus all their energy into him so that he could break down the wall.. an actual physical wall.. our energy couldn't knock it down.. but i COULD have.. he ranted about it for like 10 minutes.. great!

Old 08.28.2007, 02:21 PM   #38
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm thinking of the band I'm being good at the moment. I like them. They have really dirty guitars. Which I like. No wave? Probably not. But. People who like no wave might like them. Is all I have to say for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.29.2007, 05:45 AM   #39
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

...huh..

Old 08.29.2007, 06:30 AM   #40
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'm thinking of the band I'm being good at the moment. I like them. They have really dirty guitars. Which I like. No wave? Probably not. But. People who like no wave might like them. Is all I have to say for now.

i saw them support melt banana, i'm suprised you like them, i thought they were like a budget mr bungle
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth