Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page tunings
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.02.2006, 10:48 AM   #1
MusicIsMySavior34
little trouble girl

MusicIsMySavior34 has much to be proud ofMusicIsMySavior34 has much to be proud ofMusicIsMySavior34 has much to be proud ofMusicIsMySavior34 has much to be proud ofMusicIsMySavior34 has much to be proud ofMusicIsMySavior34 has much to be proud ofMusicIsMySavior34 has much to be proud ofMusicIsMySavior34 has much to be proud of
what tuning is mostley used by the youth out of all the wierd tunings they use
MusicIsMySavior34 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 11:30 AM   #2
crappydrummer
little trouble girl

crappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicIsMySavior34
what tuning is mostley used by the youth out of all the wierd tunings they use

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/tab/tunings.html

they used to play in GGDDEbEb a lot, now it's mostly variations of CGDGCD.
crappydrummer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 06:50 PM   #3
doctor dan
bad moon rising

doctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's asses
yeh, kinda depends what era. pre 1986 its ggddEbEb, but in the last few years (for thurston at least) its prolly cgdgcd. i think lee uses mainly octave tunings of the AAGGAA type (im guessing there). f*f*f*f*eb is also used loads when t and L use the same tuning for a thrashy song, like kool thing.
Old 04.02.2006, 09:15 PM   #4
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
Quote:
f*f*f*f*eb

I see that one the most on their older hits. And whatever Dirty Boots and Diamond Sea are in is popular as well. Lately stuff has been Low-C or Pavement tuning, as stated above.
Old 04.02.2006, 09:17 PM   #5
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
I almost forgot, you have to try EG#EG#EG# at least once in your life. Expressway and PCH are in this tuning, and there's few greater feelings than hearing expressway blasting out of your amp.
Old 04.03.2006, 04:18 AM   #6
crappydrummer
little trouble girl

crappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neongod
I almost forgot, you have to try EG#EG#EG# at least once in your life. Expressway and PCH are in this tuning, and there's few greater feelings than hearing expressway blasting out of your amp.

my classic guitar is tuned like this for about a month now. i find it very strange they used this tuning for two songs and abandoned it for 18 years.
crappydrummer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 06:27 AM   #7
doctor dan
bad moon rising

doctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's asses
EG*EG*EG* is very hard to write stuff in i find, its most effective to just turn up yr amp and let it feedback, as its a really sweet tuning for letting the strings ring open.

dirty boots and diamond sea, for thurston at least are in EGDGEB, which is probably his fave 90s tuning
Old 04.03.2006, 07:12 AM   #8
FruitLoop
children of satan

FruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard sucka
"i find it very strange they used this tuning for two songs and abandoned it for 18 years."

Hmmm, maybe they thought the same thing too, and came up with Paper Cup Exit. Worst thing is that I managed to tab it out, but the emails I sent got bounced, and the laptop it was on got stolen
FruitLoop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 01:48 PM   #9
DoubleNickels
bad moon rising

DoubleNickels ain't too shabby
I have my other guitar tuned to the pavement tuning, but I'm thinking of switching it to some E tuning where I could play in all keys easily. The Pave tuning pretty much limits you to G or C.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth