Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Do you think Jimi Hendrix is the best guitarist ever?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.06.2007, 08:43 AM   #21
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
without jimi hendrix NONE of the music we listen to and love (sonic skronk music) would have come about. there would ne no velvets, there would be no sonic youth.

Can't agree with you there, at least so far as the Velvets are concerned.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 08:47 AM   #22
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_buzzo
Well, yes and no. He was original and minimalistic but yet so great.
I 'd have thought you v'e said "No, Mascis is the best, ever" or something, like Mr ANAL said. I'm impressed.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 08:48 AM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
How so? Hendrix used feedback in ways never before heard. The velvets were most certainly, from what i ahve read, influenced by Jimi's guitar. I have also read articles where they bad mouth jimi but that is because the velvet underground members are self-admitted snot asshole new yorkers who will talk shit about something just to make themselves seem even cooler.
Old 06.06.2007, 08:51 AM   #24
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
don't worry, I was talking about buzzo's post.
I don't slander Hendrix influence, man.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 08:58 AM   #25
sarramkrop

Not only The Velvet Underground and Jimi Hendrix are unrelated, but listening to Les Razilles Denudes sometimes makes me think that perhaps there was no need for The Jesus And Mary Chain either. You were made to pay a fine for playing a blues scale in the Velvets , so I don't know what you mean with statements like that.

Edit - Roberta
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 08:59 AM   #26
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Jimi hendrix was the greatest guitarist ever. Please do not forget that in his short 27 years he played with everyone from blues acts to jazz bands to little richard to the experience, band of gypsies, etc. He was a genius, undoubtedly, and he is most definitely in the running for BEST GUITARIST EVER and if you do not think so then you are CRAZY and deluded or sme sort of hipster than wants to name drop some japanese noise guy.

without jimi hendrix NONE of the music we listen to and love (sonic skronk music) would have come about. there would ne no velvets, there would be no sonic youth.

Jimi Hendrix died at age 27, if he had lived, he woudl be playing free jazz improv concerts with lee ranaldo and thurston and blowing their asses out of the water.

Jimi played lead and ryhtm at the same time, with a right handed guitar backwards and strung upside down. self taught.

Long live Jimi.

Jimi, please forgive them for they know not what they do.

Spot on Mr. Instigator.

Greatness is measured not just by his technical ability, but by the innovations he made within his chosen art form and his influence on his peers and the generations of musicians ( not just guitarists ) that came after him.

On all three counts Hendrix is head and shoulders above every other guitarist I can think of so, yes I think Hendrix was the best guitarist ever.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 09:38 AM   #27
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Not only The Velvet Underground and Jimi Hendrix are unrelated, but listening to Les Razilles Denudes sometimes makes me think that perhaps there was no need for The Jesus And Mary Chain either. You were made to pay a fine for playing a blues scale in the Velvets , so I don't know what you mean with statements like that.

Edit - Roberta

There was never any need for the J&MC.

anyone who sclupted feedback AFTER Jimi, owes a debt to JIMI and you know it sarramkrop

come on. Lou Reed used to frequent all o Jimi's NYC gigs. he stormed out of one becausd eof DEEP JEALOUSY, disguised as petty faggotry
Old 06.06.2007, 09:48 AM   #28
sarramkrop

Where did you read that? Lou Reed wote an article where he praises Jimi Hendrix, sure, but The Velvet Underground acknowledged The Who or even the cruder bits of The Rolling Stones as vague rock influences. I appreciate Jimi's talent, no problem with that, but he simply wasn't the most revolutionary musician at the time.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 10:22 AM   #29
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

he was the most revolutionary electric guitarist at the time for sure man.
Old 06.06.2007, 10:37 AM   #30
sarramkrop

Answer my question, Roberta. Where did you read about Lou Reed storming off a Hendrix gig in a fit of jelousy?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 10:41 AM   #31
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
There was never any need for the J&MC.

anyone who sclupted feedback AFTER Jimi, owes a debt to JIMI and you know it sarramkrop

Thing is, he really doesn't know. He's got his head up his ass.

Quote:
come on. Lou Reed used to frequent all o Jimi's NYC gigs. he stormed out of one becausd eof DEEP JEALOUSY, disguised as petty faggotry

The majority of musicians were jealous of Hendrix back in his day; everyone knew he was so much better than they were. Hendrix made them all look like pretentious fools by comparison.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 10:44 AM   #32
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

besides, we have to thank him for all the moron guitarists who twist and contort their faces every time they solo. he's done more harm than good.

haha there were tonnes of awesome gurners/guitarists out there even before mr hendrix.

I think he was awesome solo guitarist on both levels of influential innovations he made and his technical ability, but on them same full two levels I also think mr mascis equals out with him. Put it this way, if mascis and hendrix dueled it out in some hilly meadows with huge marshall stacks opposing each other, I think they'd both draw their guitars and turn around at the same time, then we'd have two dead guitar heroes or in this reality, another dead guitar hero and they'd be lying down dead opposite each other with a never ending increase of roaring feedback, the roar of two big dinosaurs, now dead.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 10:48 AM   #33
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
that's a laugh

a sampling of the reaction to Hendrix

Jeff Beck: "I suppose I have to give up the guitar now." (paraphrase)

Pete Townsend (to Eric Clapton): "What are we going to do about this?"

Neil Young: "There's nobody even in the same building as that guy (Hendrix)."

Eric Clapton: "Is he really that good?"
(after being joined onstage by Jimi doing "Killing Floor" and leaving the stage in complete frustration)
Old 06.06.2007, 10:52 AM   #34
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
Thing is, he really doesn't know. He's got his head up his ass.

The majority of musicians were jealous of Hendrix back in his day; everyone knew he was so much better than they were. Hendrix made them all look like pretentious fools by comparison.

Didn't you claim that The Beatles influenced The Velvet Underground, once? Talk about having your head up your arse.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 10:54 AM   #35
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Yeah, the Velvets were hermetically sealed away in a time capsule until they made their first album.

And, as for your feeble attempt at a sleight, no, I've never mentioned that specifically anyway, resident cornball.
Old 06.06.2007, 11:00 AM   #36
sarramkrop

Whatever. Didn't you also claim that Thurston Moore hated all disco music, once? Fucking hell, you have a habit of making these grandiose statements that are just your own assumptions and nothing more.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 11:02 AM   #37
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior
I like Hendrix just fine, but best guitarist ever? That sort of implies that every guitarist should strive to be just like him

Why? It's just about being cognizant of and giving the respect that's due. I don't know why you have to bring in all this other baggage when it's merely a plain fact to anyone that knows anything about playing a guitar.
Old 06.06.2007, 11:05 AM   #38
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Whatever. Didn't you also claim that Thurston Moore hated all disco music, once? Fucking hell, you have a habit of making these grandiose statements that are just your own assumptions and nothing more.

I've mentioned that Thurston Moore hates NIN before and implied that he hated most "electronic" rock...electronica...which is something he stated in, I think, a SPIN magazine interview in the '90s. In the same article, he said he liked Elastica okay though. As for whatever else you're driving after, maybe you should stop attributing these "grandiose statements that are just (my) own assumptions and nothing more," because they are obviously just your own assumptions and nothing more.
Old 06.06.2007, 11:07 AM   #39
sarramkrop

I've read that, but you still posted on here that he hated disco music and not 'electronic' rock.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 11:12 AM   #40
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
To say that a band are influenced by other bands or musicians is one thing, and I'm sure that to a certain degree Lou Reed heard and considered what Hendrix was doing. But to say that the Velvet's wouldn't have existed without him is frankly absurd considering that a massive bulk of their influences came from elsewhere.

Hendrix was undoubtedy responsible for changing vast swathes of rock music, but not all of it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth