Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page just discovered tom waits as awesome
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.22.2006, 12:49 PM   #1
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
I just started listening to Real Gone over the past few days and it's one of the best records I've heard in a long time. I can't believe I didn't listen to this when it came out. I'd tried to listen to Tom before to mixed results, but real gone has won me over.

Anyone else a fan? Should i check raindogs next?
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2006, 01:52 PM   #2
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey alex

Uh, yeah.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2006, 02:01 PM   #3
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Always good to learn. Tom Waits is the man.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2006, 02:09 PM   #4
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
I wish i had known about a month ago. I might've put up the money to see him live when he was in louisville
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Old 09.22.2006, 02:29 PM   #5
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
That sucks. I've had that happen to me before. Bands come to my area, and then just shortly later I rwealize how amazing they are and how affordable their shows would have been ahd I attended. Oh well. They all come back. You just have to wait a little while.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2006, 04:50 PM   #6
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
He's a pretty cool guy. Don't forget to check out his acting in Down by law too.

The first time I saw him was on a UK television show called The Tube about 20 years ago. Tom Waits is the kind of artist you remember discovering.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2006, 05:21 PM   #7
hey alex
the end of the ugly

I'll remember one day hearing chocolate jesus for the first time and then learning the chords and recording a cover with a firend about an hour later. Then a few months later I've listened to real gone and did some cool drawings.

Quote:
That sucks. I've had that happen to me before. Bands come to my area, and then just shortly later I rwealize how amazing they are and how affordable their shows would have been ahd I attended. Oh well. They all come back. You just have to wait a little while.
Well, I don't know about affordable hear... it was like 60$ a pop so I may not've gone even I had known his coolness

Old 09.22.2006, 05:53 PM   #8
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee

damn that blows. DFA1979 played here a ton... before i was into them. same with From Fiction... such a shitty feeling/thing.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2006, 05:56 PM   #9
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey alex
I just started listening to Real Gone over the past few days and it's one of the best records I've heard in a long time. I can't believe I didn't listen to this when it came out. I'd tried to listen to Tom before to mixed results, but real gone has won me over.

Bone Machine is probably my favorite, though pretty much all of his records are strong to brilliant.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2006, 06:07 PM   #10
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
first time i heard him was actually on my way to a DFA1979 concert. odd... anyways it was on Sean Cullen's (the comedian) radio show on the CBC. i didn't like his voice then. it was also the last time i heard him (this was a couple of years ago though..)

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2006, 06:50 PM   #11
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
my favorite tom waits movie role has gotta be as himself in "coffee and cigarettes"

i've posted this picture before:

brilliant!

anyway i like his stuff; im not a huge fan or collector but i enjoy it. back in the early 90s i knew this hippy chick who carried around a cassette with "diamonds on my windshield" on it. that's what got me-- the phrase "colder than a welldigger's ass"-- & the bass--

i think these are the lyrics:

Well these diamonds on my windshield
And these tears from heaven
Well I'm pulling into town on the Interstate
I got a steel train in the rain
And the wind bites my cheek through the wing
And it's these late nights and this freeway flying
It always makes me sing

There's a Duster tryin' to change my tune
He's pulling up fast on the right
Rolling restlessly by a twenty-four hour moon

And a Wisconsin hiker with a cue-ball head
He's wishing he was home in a Wiscosin bed
But there's fifteen feet of snow in the East
Colder then a welldigger's ass
And it's colder than a welldigger's ass

Oceanside it ends the ride with San Clemente coming up
Those Sunday desperadoes slip by and cruise with a dry back
And the orange drive-in the neon billin'
And the theatre's fillin' to the brim
With 'Slave Girls' and 'Hot Spurs' an' 'Bucket Full Of Sin'

Metropolitan area with interchange and connections
Fly-by-nights from Riverside
And out of state plates running a little late

But the sailors jockey for the fast lane
So 101 don't miss it
There's rolling hills and concrete fields
And the broken line's on your mind

The eights go east and the fives go north
And the merging nexus back and forth
You see your sign, cross the line, signalling with a blink

And the radio's gone off the air
Gives you time to think
And you hear the rumble
As you fumble for a cigarette
And blazing through this midnight jungle
Remember someone that you met
And one more block; the engine talks
Whispers 'home at last'
It whispers 'home at last'
Whispers 'home at last'
It whispers 'home at last'
Whispers 'home at last'

And there are diamonds on my windshield
And these tears from heaven
Well I'm pulling into town on the Interstate
I got me a steel train in the rain
And the wind bites my cheek through the wing
Late nights and freeway flying
Always makes me sing
It always makes me sing

(Hey look here Jack, ok)
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2006, 07:35 PM   #12
Tickerwelly
little trouble girl

Tickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's asses
I've been on a huge Tom Waits kick recently. I just picked up Small Change, Closing Time, Heartattack and Vine, and Nighthawks At The Diner. The latter two are my favorites of the lot.
Old 09.24.2006, 05:33 AM   #13
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
his older cds are so goddamn cheap you'd have to be insane not to buy them all. I have not bought them yet.
Old 09.24.2006, 05:51 AM   #14
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoThe Groovey
his older cds are so goddamn cheap you'd have to be insane not to buy them all. I have not bought them yet.

A confession of insanity then.

haha

Rain Dogs, Heartattack & Vine, and swordfishtrombones are his best.

I liked Real Gone, but like everything else these days, it just didn't live up to the hype. Although, I did rank it as one of the best of '04.

I think I posted an mp3 once of his Chocolate Jesus performance on Letterman. It was in a thread where I was describing that I had played it on the stereo at a party prompting numerous requests to please change the music.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2006, 07:23 AM   #15
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
A confession of insanity then.

haha

Rain Dogs, Heartattack & Vine, and swordfishtrombones are his best.

yeah, thats true

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2006, 11:35 PM   #16
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Heart of Saturday Night, baby.

Old 09.25.2006, 12:19 AM   #17
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Waits kicks ass, I've got

Small Change
Nighthawks at the Diner
Rain Dogs
Bone Machine
and
Mule Variations

All are great.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2006, 01:21 AM   #18
DemonBox
the end of the ugly

DemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I love the guy. Check out Rain Dogs, it's a good idea. But don't forget to pick up Blue Valentine, a very fine album, that nobody have mentioned yet.
DemonBox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2006, 02:07 AM   #19
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Tom Waits is great. Can't believe no one mentioned Bone Machine in this thread. Everything Tom Waits touches is great. Although, I wasn't a fan ofCoffee and Cigarettes - thought it was a boring pile of dung.
Old 09.30.2006, 07:25 PM   #20
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Im very interested
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth