Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rather Ripped? Disillusion.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.23.2006, 10:43 PM   #21
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
But a mediocre Sonic Youth record is still much better than all of the other "great" rock albums albums that have come out recently that are being eaten up by the press.

Absolutely
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 10:52 PM   #22
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
Yr not really listening to me. I'm not calling Thurston pretentious. I said he comes across as pretentious.
You wrote 'I also agree that Thurston's super cool attitude should disappear.' It's obvious atari understood you perfectly..you might not understand what atari's saying, though. No backpedalling!

Why do crazy people always say 'You're not really listening to me!'?

"Yes, I am a fag. Thanks for noticing!"
--HaydenAsche
Gookid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 12:04 AM   #23
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Still, I think there is a certain amount of overanalysis with this particular LP. I believe the less you think through this record and the more you feel it in your gut, the more likely you are to enjoy it. It's a very heartfelt record and it is showcasing a change in direction for Sonic Youth. With Sonic Nurse and Rather Ripped under their belt(which I think, along with Murray Street, are best enjoyed together, as a trilogy-cum-era piece), they can only move forward now, and I can hear hints of even greater heights to come in their music... Maybe something even surpassing their late 80s output, who knows? Groove on, SY Fans...
Old 06.24.2006, 06:24 AM   #24
follow.blind
bad moon rising

follow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's asses
Just...you know - I usually listen to music in the tram. I think it's great to just sit and watch how everything pass by: I become an independent spectator; everything around is just like in a movie...
Sonic Youth's records are the ideal stimulant. One could almost feel the social-vibrations etc. (Yes, I'm very sensitive person :-) )
When I listen to Rather Ripped it has no effect, just a flat nothing.
And I feel bad about it.
follow.blind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 06:27 AM   #25
follow.blind
bad moon rising

follow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe later I found it inspiring...
(On the other side I must admit that it still rocks well.)
Old 06.25.2006, 06:08 PM   #26
bytheriver
bad moon rising

bytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nice
i think its nice
bytheriver is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2006, 06:10 PM   #27
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheriver
i think its nice

hey look, a sweet a sentiment! amazing.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2006, 10:26 PM   #28
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by follow.blind
Just...you know - I usually listen to music in the tram. I think it's great to just sit and watch how everything pass by: I become an independent spectator; everything around is just like in a movie...
Sonic Youth's records are the ideal stimulant. One could almost feel the social-vibrations etc. (Yes, I'm very sensitive person :-) )
When I listen to Rather Ripped it has no effect, just a flat nothing.
And I feel bad about it.

Once again I agree, to a certain degree. When I listen to Sonic Youth's other records it really gets me amped up. They really know how to get yr energy flowing. But with this record, I don't really feel as much. The hint of energy is still lingering in some of the songs, but overall it's largely absent.

I do not mean to insult the band by any means what so ever. I love them and their music. It's just that in my opinion they released a bit of a lack-luster group of songs and called it an album. It just doesn't really hit you the way that all the other albums do. It's not their worst album but it is far from being one of their best. I'm not adverse to hearing some of their songs live on tour, some of them sound pretty good. It's just that as a whole Rather Ripped falls short. But it's not really their fault.

All musicians go through slumps. It happens to all musicians who have been around as long as Sonic Youth have. I mean come on! 25 years in the music industry and they have released very few songs and even fewer bad albums. If this is the weakest Sonic Youth can do then that's still pretty goddamn good. I know that a lot of other extremely talented musicians have done much worse than this. It may not be Sonic Youth in top form but it's still decent. Rather Ripped doesn't really suck, it just falls short of living up to the Sonic Youth legacy.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2006, 10:34 PM   #29
Geofoco
empty page

Geofoco has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I dont hear rather ripped...cause we dont have it in Mexico yet.... so, if somebody knows when the album come to Mexico, please tell me
Geofoco is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2006, 10:43 PM   #30
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
Still, I think there is a certain amount of overanalysis with this particular LP. I believe the less you think through this record and the more you feel it in your gut, the more likely you are to enjoy it. It's a very heartfelt record and it is showcasing a change in direction for Sonic Youth. With Sonic Nurse and Rather Ripped under their belt(which I think, along with Murray Street, are best enjoyed together, as a trilogy-cum-era piece), they can only move forward now, and I can hear hints of even greater heights to come in their music... Maybe something even surpassing their late 80s output, who knows? Groove on, SY Fans...

I agree...not only is it being over-analyzed, but I don't understand all this nonsense about the album not being good. It's the best thing they've done in years. This thread kind of makes me sick in a way.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2006, 10:57 PM   #31
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Yr crazy, baby!!!! There's no way it's their best album in years. Just no way.

Old 06.26.2006, 05:30 AM   #32
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I personally love this album! You just have to understand its intent is different to other SY albums. Daydream Nation was very much a 1980's album, a poinent and inspiring portrait of late 80's america, Dirty was the album that highlighted all the musical and social conflicts of early 90's alternative scene. Rather Ripped however sets out to be a very 2006 album - The return to rock and songform can be seen to be reflective of how rock itself has seen a reinsurgence. Its a battle ground between art and 'catchy' rock, an album that proves both can exist. This is of course sub-concious but still its intention as a album.
Old 06.26.2006, 12:20 PM   #33
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
all right follow.blind, i can understand yr. opinnion on rr album (which i like), but i don't understand and i must disagree with yr. statement about lee's out of rhytm, not like(ing) sonic evolution and that confusion(?). that's not true to me. he wouldn't do it, or do you think he's really doing it only coz a lot of bills? did you watch rock en seine '05? to me, he is the man of stage that evening and he enjoying it more than thurston (when we talking about recent past). with kim playing abilities and others.....it was always like this, wasn't it? and still eventhough kim aint no super skilled bass player, sy creates something extraordinary with that great feel, you wont find in case of any other band, never.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2006, 01:09 PM   #34
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
all right follow.blind, i can understand yr. opinnion on rr album (which i like), but i don't understand and i must disagree with yr. statement about lee's out of rhytm, not like(ing) sonic evolution and that confusion(?). that's not true to me. he wouldn't do it, or do you think he's really doing it only coz a lot of bills? did you watch rock en seine '05? to me, he is the man of stage that evening and he enjoying it more than thurston (when we talking about recent past). with kim playing abilities and others.....it was always like this, wasn't it? and still eventhough kim aint no super skilled bass player, sy creates something extraordinary with that great feel, you wont find in case of any other band, never.

I do agree with you there. Lee is spot on with the new material. I was watching their latest Letterman performance of Incinerate and he was always on his mark and in synch with the rest of the band. No foul ups. Sonic Youth are too tightly regimented of a band to have such a central and talented musician to be fouling up such simple riffs.

Old 06.26.2006, 06:58 PM   #35
follow.blind
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight

Hi. I don't mean that Lee is bad guy ;-) Actually - I'm big fan of his work. I consider him to be very creative musician. His tracks are often between my personal "Top 3" of every new sy record. But try to listen to a few bootlegs (and I'm pretty sure that you have a more of this stuff than I have) from the periods right after new releases - it seems he's often little unsure...but after a few gigs he - in my opinion - feels more confortable, starts to enjoy himself and he plays "real good feedback and super sounding riffs" :-)
Yes, you're right - his guitar makes the essential texture that covers Thurston's riffs and strummings and this "texture" leads to what we know as "SY sound".
About rhythm...I think that our guitar heroes aren't that accurate in this case. But they have great drummer who keeps time so almost everything sounds OK. And I'm not perfectionist or some snobbish academician (and I do rhythmic faults too - for example in transitions into some tremolo stuff etc... ) There's proof for head-less/fanatic lovers of SY (and I don't mean you, greenlight!!) who believe that their idols couldn't make some fucking rhythmic fault :-) : http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=360&page=8
download "Karen Revisited" and focus yourself on Lee...Yes! But anyway - they are awesome!
Kim Gordon...she plays really BAD (when we compare her with Jim O'Rourke, errr...indeed - iť's bad example - we all play really bad in comparison with Jim), BUT she puts so much energy in the whole performance. Some her easy bass lines are sweet and so significant and she IS Kim Gordon!
Rock En Seine? I don't consider it to be so good show (btw. it was '04 I guess) Did you watch Belfort (France too) 2005? (Eurockéennes Festival....)
It was really good! (and there was much more better playlist!)
For these who aren't familiar with dimedozen or eMule(there's DVDrip that fits one CD-R) there's my DVD-rip (from original compilation by Mr."Ducky"):
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=360&page=7

Reason of "overanalysis" when RR came out?
It was very hyped record ("Sear Studio again!"...), interviews were promising (Do you remeber?---> LEE: "...some of it seems to be an extension of the last couple of records, but some hearkens forward into territory and also back to earlier, more dissonant and atonal stuff we've done...") and we were just curious (4 members again...).

So...I know that these fine guys from Sonic Youth play together for 25 years (btw. this is very poor apology for situation when the band release shity record...) and I respect them. Raher Ripped is good LP for this year, but I still think that it's not good enough for such great band as SY.

I just don't like to be duped easily.(We say "to get drunk on 'crescent roll'...")

'crescent roll'
(yes,yes - it IS breadstuff...FUCKing Freud)

Wow. I'm tired. (There's 1:50am) Maybe I'm writing nonsenses. I hope you'll understand the context - at least.
Old 06.26.2006, 11:45 PM   #36
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
I like you.
Old 06.27.2006, 05:32 AM   #37
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
all of you who talk about Kim's 'poor' playing are driving me mad. ok, for example, when i started into SY i was really amazed about how Kim's singing (ex. WM, EJSTNS, CIS, most 'classic' SY LPs) is slightly out-of-tune but always very impressive and emotional. her playing is not virtoso, but hey-this is SY, not shred metal or something. her bass lines fit great on SY. about lee being static and out of rhythm- well this is clearly not true. especially on the last tour when i had the chance to see them live lee was very vital and sometimes leading, rocking hard like i've seen on vids, nothing to say he's bored about the SY idea. i also noticed RR has lots of vocal/riff unisons. this has been used in various other songs of SY, so what's wrong if they wanted to 'finish' the idea about it. i find songs like Lights Out extremely good, even though they are quite simple compared to other SY work.
RR is both very 'light' and 'poppy', it really feels weird from listening the first time, but i'm sure it's will grab me (personally) more and more with further listening. thats how all SY albums work for me.
and i really hope this is not one of the last SY we get. (i chant this mantra every time an album comes out since NYCGF)
peace on you boardies.
Old 06.27.2006, 12:09 PM   #38
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
hi follow.blind!
shentov have put that nicely.
was it '04 rock in seine? (uff that time fly man!)
yes i saw belfort and it's better show, i agree, but i mentioned rock in seine only in connection with lee, where he is enjoying himself (in sy) more than the others (in sy) that night. i wanted to point out this video (f.e.) that he's not bored with sy. that's it. hopefully i'll see them this year live, so i can tell you how i personaly feel about that. and i like rr very much, i can understand, that many people have this feeling of "dull" album (yes, it's catchy and popy big time, compare to the previous releases), yet i think it's because we (they)was expecting something like.....
maybe i'm wrong (that's my feeling), but i think the album is like it is, because it was natural sy maturing, progressing (eventhough thurston wrote most of the songs?). if you listen to their recent gig from DC, short but exceptional noise parts can be found as well. good gig, with some faults though, hey but that's rock 'n' roll. yes it's not their best release but, maybe this have to be like that, coz their next one might be one of their finest.

peace attack!
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2006, 12:28 PM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
The more I listen to it the more I LOVE IT> I loved Murray Streeta nd Nurse, Nurse more so that MS, but bth were great, yet melancholy albums. well, rather ripped is GREAT and NON-melancholy! They are writing great fucking rocking songs. let them. being a fan, a REAL, TRUE FANATIC, means giving your rock heroes the benefit of the doubt.

let them rock. let them fucking just make riffs and beats and GREAT fucking 3 minute ROCKL songs. That has always been a part of sonic youth music, and always will be and if you do not see that then you have not explored their full catalogue. (if you listen to RATS you can hear trhe same guitar from Eric's Trip, which is why they are playing Eric's Trip live now. the same guitar was used for both and they recorvered it along with some of their stolen gear remember?)
sonic youth is not NYCG&F. It is NOT washing machine. i is not the SYR series. it is all of these things and more in one package. you don;t like this album? keep quiet and wait for the next one, because it will be different yet again.
Old 06.27.2006, 12:30 PM   #40
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
disilussion my ass. the album is okay.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth