Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page roundhouse - saturday
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.03.2007, 04:15 AM   #41
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
I'm sorry for showing off, this just made me a happy guy for a while:

(thanks to sonicl)

wow you lucky bastard!
nice one!

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2007, 04:48 AM   #42
elsuko
empty page

elsuko has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
maybe cos' it's monday and at work (hey, on a gossip site now!) but Saturday's roundhouse gig's still bashing thru my head... it's just getting better and better.

Once again, 'Expressway' jamboree was the crown of the night!!

I'm grateful for David who bought a bunch of tickets and had a spare to sell through gumtree. Didn't even know that SY were in town but the fact that 'DDN' rendition was on was instant on convincing me to go for it.

Some vid cams were out and undoubtedly, audio was being recorded too - any links?
Hasta pronto Sonicos
elsuko is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2007, 12:08 PM   #43
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Saw them for the first time on the 1st, having been a massive fan for a long time, and it was absolutely amazing. I really think they performed DDN brilliantly and added lots of new bits that made the songs sound even better. And the Rather Ripped songs in the encore really stood up to the classic songs before them. They still rock harder than most bands i've seen.

Was stood at the front on the right, in front of Thurston.
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2007, 03:13 AM   #44
jenkooo2002
empty page

jenkooo2002 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_kennedy
I was at the show last night and I thought it was shit - made me change my whole perspective on things. Sound quality was part of it (bang bangs sounded shit).

I did miss the 2nd encore though, and I think I wouldve liked the Corsano/Shelley dual drum thing.

The venue was great - never seen a barbecue at a gig before!

I must say i tend to agree.I was downstairs and the sound was terrible.I was also about half way back and i could see very little.I t was my first Sonic Youth show and i was expecting maybe more than i got.I left as soon as they finished Daydream Nation and hearing what happened for the encores ,i am a little pissed off.I thought the Corsano Duo were great.....
jenkooo2002 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2007, 05:33 AM   #45
kippenhok
empty page

kippenhok has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkooo2002
I must say i tend to agree.I was downstairs and the sound was terrible.I was also about half way back and i could see very little.I t was my first Sonic Youth show and i was expecting maybe more than i got.I left as soon as they finished Daydream Nation and hearing what happened for the encores ,i am a little pissed off.I thought the Corsano Duo were great.....

my first sy gig as well. after catching about 5 mins of their show on lowlands 96, that is. anyway, as for the sound: i was a bit disapponted at first. it being the 3rd show in the same venue i'd expected better sound. but about halfway through ddn it improved quite a bit i thought.

roundhouse is an awful venue if you're not in one of the front rows. it's difficult to see what happens on stage with so many people packed in front of you. i spent most my time at the front on the very right. you get to see the stage from the side, but at least it's an unobstructed view.

highlights for me were the ending of teen age riot and expressway to yr skull.
kippenhok is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2007, 12:11 PM   #46
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Well it was awesome at the front... It is a really old venue, I guess it isn't brilliant for rock gigs...

Anyone got photos of the show?
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2007, 07:00 AM   #47
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Greatest. Gig. Ever...

I took 2 of my less converted friends with me, by the end of the show they were giant Youth fans. Expressway was amazing.
Old 09.06.2007, 06:30 AM   #48
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
I liked the Roundhouse as a venue. I'm used to seeing SY play in places half the size, but for a 3000 capacity venue it's quite nice. Had to make sure to be somewhere at the front though, because at the back in the lower section it was difficult to see anything at all.

It's hard to say which night was "the best" out of the three shows, but Saturday was my favourite of the three... because of the support act, because of Expressway to yr Skull and because SY were much more talkative compared to the other nights. Crowd response was probably the biggest on Saturday as well. It seemed everyone that traveled from far had chosen the Saturday gig (obviously because it's in the weekend). I overheard many different languagues being spoken on the Saturday compared to the other nights and while on the Friday I only met boardies boardies form the UK, on the Saturday they were all from abroad except one.

I thought the sound of the drums could've been better on each night, and to my ears the vocals seemed to be a bit lower in the mix on the Friday. I thought Thursday was better soundwise, but then spoke somebody who thought it was exactly the other way round, so it's all in the ear of the beholder I guess.... and depending on which position you're standing on each night.

The weeks before these gigs I started to have doubts about going. During my teens I maybe listened to Daydream Nation close to a thousand times and my fear was that it could be disappointing... and then I'd have to experience it another two times. I really didn't want to see my favourite band rape the soundtrack of my youth.
But it was phenomenal at times... The Sprawl, 'Cross the Breeze and all songs from the Trilogy... all great. I think Rain King and to a lesser extend Total Trash were the weakest songs on these shows, but I loved every minute of it. Awesome to see Kim play the Thunderbird and great to spot the small differences and similarites in the band's playing/behaviour every night.

On the first night the Rather Ripped songs seemed a bit bleak to me compared to the DDN set, but still better than on the 2 gigs I saw last December. The band seemed more into it though and I'm appreciating those songs live no more than I did when seeing them last year. I've even started growing fond of the live performances of Pink Steam.

During the Saturday show, the possibility of Expessway with Corsano went briefly through my mind, but I instantly dismissed it due to the 11 pm curfew and the length of the song. But when Corsano's drumkit was brought back on stage I knew an already fantastic weekend was going to finish even better. Had a blast during the rest of my stay in London as well... thank you all.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2007, 06:34 AM   #49
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'm sorry for showing off, this just made me a happy guy for a while:

(thanks to sonicl)

Haha... awesome!
You look better with your eyes open though.
Did you catch that last train in the end? Because I remember thinking "Euston in 10 minutes... he's never going to make that."

Hello to the other boardies I've met too.
Old 09.06.2007, 06:38 AM   #50
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic johnny

DDN.
________

What A waste
Incinerate
Jams Run Free
Pink Steam
Or.
________

Expressway To Yr Skull.

Hmmm, not that it's really important, but didn't they play "Do You Believe in Rapture?" on the Saturday as well? Because I think I might just vaguely remember them playing it on every night... but maybe I'm just mixing things up now.
Old 09.06.2007, 06:39 AM   #51
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Haha... awesome!
That was rather unfortunate, wasn't it? I thought about getting someone to photoshop the eyes in, but figured that it just looked like a look of total ecstacy. I've seen cats with a look like that on their faces when they're having their tummies tickled.

I'll confess to having gently flirted with Kim to get her to be in the photo. You can see by the look on her face how attracted to me she was.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2007, 06:45 AM   #52
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

she's certainly deemed you worth at least 2/3rd of a smile...
you must've been at the venue pretty early then?
Old 09.06.2007, 06:46 AM   #53
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Not really, we just got lucky.
Old 09.06.2007, 09:23 AM   #54
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
I must say, this thread is bumming me out a bit. I saw DDN two nights in a row on Glasgow and was slightly concerned that heading to London to see it again on the Friday might be overkill.
However, when I saw it I enjoyed it more than ever as well as seeing Turquoise Boy which I'd not seen them play before. My only gripe w/ the DDN shows was the audience during the encores, especially in Glasgow where I could hear people openly berating the RR material. Maybe it's not their best stuff but its still not good form to put it down. Go to the bar and get a drink or leave early, don't heckle the band.
Anyway, I was sticking around in London for the extra day and came very close to getting tickets off ebay except I was w. friends who weren't so down for seeing it again... my only consolation was that I saw Expressway in Paris, but fuck, I would've loved a second dose.
I guess I'm just getting spoiled and greedy - I did get to see SY four times in a couple of weeks for christ sake.....
Old 09.06.2007, 09:31 AM   #55
sonicl
invito al cielo

I was going to ask you if you'd made it to Paris. I kept an eye out for you but (obviously) didn't see you.
Old 09.06.2007, 09:44 AM   #56
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
ditto - I was looking out for you but unfortunately didn't have much time to make concrete plans for a meeting.. paris was.. hectic.. we went over with no accomodation or anything booked... didn't realise what a bad idea that was until we got there.. still, it was good fun
Old 09.07.2007, 03:38 AM   #57
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Haha... awesome!
Did you catch that last train in the end? Because I remember thinking "Euston in 10 minutes... he's never going to make that."

I did not, I was like 4 minutes late after the train had gone. I thought I would have to spend the night at Euston, but fortunately my friend has come with a connection to Watford and from Watford we caught a direct bus to Tring. At about 2am I was already in bed, so it was pretty ok.

I am just sorry that I did not even properly say goodbye to you all because of all the rush. Did you go for a pint, as diamond sea proposed? I would have loved to have one with you guys if I had a place to stay in London.

So, cheers for the evening and nice to meet you!

As for the photo, I look like a twat on all the pictures anyway .

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2007, 03:38 AM   #58
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
I'll confess to having gently flirted with Kim to get her to be in the photo. You can see by the look on her face how attracted to me she was.

Hahaha

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2007, 03:46 AM   #59
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
The Roundhouse as a venue was great. Loved the outdoor roof terrace with the deck chairs, BBQ and Bar. It was good to have a beer and chat with fellow Youth Freaks.
Old 09.07.2007, 04:16 AM   #60
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

Quote:
I did not, I was like 4 minutes late after the train had gone. I thought I would have to spend the night at Euston, but fortunately my friend has come with a connection to Watford and from Watford we caught a direct bus to Tring. At about 2am I was already in bed, so it was pretty ok.

I am just sorry that I did not even properly say goodbye to you all because of all the rush. Did you go for a pint, as diamond sea proposed? I would have loved to have one with you guys if I had a place to stay in London.

no, we didn't go for a beer. i think everyone had to go separate ways, which meant tube and bus to hackney in my case...

speaking of which, i'll have to rush for the bus now or i'll be late for work.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth