Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Nostalgia
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.17.2009, 02:11 PM   #1
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Peoples be feelin' it today!
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I bought Banjo Kazooie for my n64 today from amazon. Is it because I actually really enjoy the game or is it because I want to relive my memories of playing it when I was younger? I dunno.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2009, 02:42 PM   #3
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
I would go with the latter. A few months ago a bought an N64 as well. I got San Fransisco Rush and Goldeneye.

Memories... *sigh*

Although I started this because of all of the old threads getting bumped today...
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Well I never sold my n64 but when I was younger I would get to play Banjo Kazooie and Diddy Kong Racing every new year's eve as my parents would go over to my neighbours and their kids (who were older than me) had those games. I think I was only about 6 or 7 at the time!
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2009, 02:57 PM   #5
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Kill yr nostalgia
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2009, 08:12 PM   #6
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
yes, nostalgia is a sin
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2009, 12:36 AM   #7
Andrés
children of satan

Andrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's asses
"nostalgia for an age yet to come"

Andrés is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2009, 12:39 AM   #8
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
video games are the ultimate nostalgia...i remember playing clayfighter in a crusty basement and i remember playing diddy kong racing the first time i was stoned etc. etc.
maybe ill post the whole list
the whole rigamarole
Old 05.31.2009, 06:19 AM   #9
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Oddly enough I am really nostalgic when it comes to stuff that was as soon as 10 years ago.
Old 05.31.2009, 06:51 AM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Oddly enough I am really nostalgic when it comes to stuff that was as soon as 10 years ago.

How old are you?

I'm 27. That's too young for nostalgia. I think it's more a sense of being retarded if you get nostalgia below the age of, say, 45. I think there's a sense in which a lot of people get 'nostalgia' for things they didn't experience. You can't tell people how to experience life, but you can tell them that something doesn't stop being shit because it was 20 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2009, 07:25 AM   #11
sarramkrop

There's no way a well-adjusted person can't remember how bad it was as much as they remember how good things used to be. Since nostalgia is just a feeling, and one that doesn't relate to any present happening, I don't understand what use it can have for someone who continues breathing.

Unless you just can't get out of a particular way of feeling in your present life, in which case nostalgia will only make it more difficult for you to move on because you spend too much time idealising the past with confusion regarding what really happened. If you even really lived what you are nostalgic for.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2009, 07:34 AM   #12
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think playing an old N64 game, or a Soundgarden album (which you enjoyed at the time but have since neglected) really qualifies as nostalgia. It's just taking a harmless trip down memory lane that I imagine most people take from time to time. Nostalgia, as porky suggests, is more a kind of irrational yearning for the past with little attention paid to the actual reality of that time.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2009, 07:41 AM   #13
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't think playing an old N64 game, or a Soundgarden album (which you enjoyed at the time but have since neglected) really qualifies as nostalgia.

No it doesn't. Having an interest for things that were produced in the past is not being nostalgic for what happened when those things were created. It's just getting a bit of perspective and simply enjoying a variety of music/movies etc etc.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2009, 08:26 AM   #14
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
What?

There are no rules to how and why you feel nostalgic. Maybe you're not interested in that N64 game or Soundgarden, but surely it can take you back to a time when you were around/loved someone who did like those things, and in turn you long for those days, or for a 'more simple time'. I don't know...
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2009, 08:54 AM   #15
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
What?

There are no rules to how and why you feel nostalgic. Maybe you're not interested in that N64 game or Soundgarden, but surely it can take you back to a time when you were around/loved someone who did like those things, and in turn you long for those days, or for a 'more simple time'. I don't know...

There are patterns, though. Also, if that 'loved one' who's gone is what makes you feel nostalgic, does that not imply that no matter what you will never be able to be happy again? Is that a good thing? NO. Uh?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2009, 09:06 AM   #16
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's possible to enjoy a little nostalgia without being completely lost in another time.. Isn't it far more strange for someone to not ever think back to some particular time that was especially wonderful?

hum.
Old 05.31.2009, 09:11 AM   #17
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
What?

There's nothing wrong with any of those things. the danger is when people use it as a long-term escape route from what's taking place around them now.

Enjoying memories of the past is very different from wanting to live in them.
Old 05.31.2009, 11:57 AM   #18
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
I miss my N64.

*sigh*
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2009, 02:58 PM   #19
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
I miss my N64.

*sigh*

You probably miss that game a bunch but don't worry...I relioved the N64 and this game and rust me...it's not as good as it used to be.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2009, 03:07 PM   #20
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Goldeneye is still the bollocks though.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth