Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Anyone remember... (or the 'I've listened to some shit in my days' thread)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.17.2011, 08:02 AM   #1
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
This thread may only be of interest to myself and Herr Death. I'm not going for obscure bands, so much as bands that are obscure now because they weren't very popular some ten years ago. Capiche? Well, it doesn't matter if you do capiche, because I'm sure Herr Death will. I'm not going for bands that are, y'know, 'arty' or 'cool' or anything, just the stuff that had a certain appeal at a certain time. So none of this 'most under-rated' bollocks, ta.

Anyone remember the Warm Jets?
Anyone remember 18 Wheeler?
Anyone remember Salad?
(Pains me to say this, as they were ACTUALLY GOOD) Anyone remember Elastica?
Anyone remember Powder?
Anyone remember Bette Davis and the Balconettes (DON'T COMMENT ON MY LIGHTER/ I know it's fucking furry)
Anyone remember Ultrasound?

This could go on a while, you might want to roll a fag and pull up a seat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2011, 11:42 AM   #2
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
This thread may only be of interest to myself and Herr Death. I'm not going for obscure bands, so much as bands that are obscure now because they weren't very popular some ten years ago. Capiche? Well, it doesn't matter if you do capiche, because I'm sure Herr Death will. I'm not going for bands that are, y'know, 'arty' or 'cool' or anything, just the stuff that had a certain appeal at a certain time. So none of this 'most under-rated' bollocks, ta.

Anyone remember the Warm Jets?
Anyone remember 18 Wheeler?
Anyone remember Salad?
(Pains me to say this, as they were ACTUALLY GOOD) Anyone remember Elastica?
Anyone remember Powder?
Anyone remember Bette Davis and the Balconettes (DON'T COMMENT ON MY LIGHTER/ I know it's fucking furry)
Anyone remember Ultrasound?

This could go on a while, you might want to roll a fag and pull up a seat...

elastica were excellent!
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2011, 02:34 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

"Hi."

Elastica got sued for 100% completely ripping off Wire

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2011, 02:38 PM   #4
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Elastica, yes I used to listen to that. Do you remember Republica? I actually bought the album for that one song, and I don't think they should have bothered writing any other songs, or they could just remix it 12 times.

I'm not even embarassed of the fact I used to like The Cranberries.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2011, 03:43 PM   #5
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
^ I kind of am embarassed that I used to like The Cranberries....you...you're a chick...and..well that's kind of ok. I guess...

me? I used to listen to Stone Temple Pilots....ew.....I'm really embarrassed about that.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Elastica got sued for 100% completely ripping off Wire

BUT crucially they were better than Wire. Which I'll admit is odd. Actually, it's not that odd, they obviously stole their riffs to heal them.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 03.17.2011, 09:49 PM   #7
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
^ I kind of am embarassed that I used to like The Cranberries....you...you're a chick...and..well that's kind of ok. I guess...

me? I used to listen to Stone Temple Pilots....ew.....I'm really embarrassed about that.

What is truly embarassing is that at some point I had Marylin Manson posters on my walls...

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2011, 11:45 PM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
BUT crucially they were better than Wire. Which I'll admit is odd. Actually, it's not that odd, they obviously stole their riffs to heal them.

elastica made albums better than pink flag, chairs missing, 154, read and burn 1-3/send, object 47, red barked tree?

...impossible.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.18.2011, 03:25 AM   #9
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Sultans Of Ping F.C.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.18.2011, 04:46 AM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Ah, Stu gets it! Good man, that's the spirit.

Honestly, Herr Park, I've never got Wire. It might be that I was a lot younger when Elastica were about, but Wire just never interested me. And of course, there wasn't any internets in those days...

Anyway. Anyone remember Eastertown?

Anyone remember the Darling Buds? (Crawdaddy has aged really well).

Quote:
Old 03.18.2011, 05:07 AM   #11
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone remember SMASH? Someone told me recently they're still going under a different name.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.18.2011, 05:42 AM   #12
Glice
invito al cielo

Smash the T-pop group? No, no-one remembers them.

Or do you mean S*M*A*S*H? WITHOUT THEM THERE'D BE NO 60 FOOT DOLLS. NEVAR FORGET.

(Didn't one of them go on to be in These Animal Men and later Mo' Solid Gold?)

Quote:
Old 03.18.2011, 05:45 AM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

Oh dear, the 90s

Quote:
Old 03.18.2011, 05:57 AM   #14
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah s*m*a*s*h.
Someone told me that they're a bunch of old men now playing with a young kid in Brighton. Let me see if I find a link. The guitarist in Powder is underrated, I think.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.18.2011, 05:58 AM   #15
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Jesus, they are the most 90s band ive ever seen

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.18.2011, 06:04 AM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

Given that, Ikara, I suppose we should get Flowered Up out of the way.

Which leads me onto... anyone remember Campag Velocet? (God, were they ever shit...)

Quote:
Old 03.18.2011, 06:11 AM   #17
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Given that, Ikara, I suppose we should get Flowered Up out of the way.

Which leads me onto... anyone remember Campag Velocet? (God, were they ever shit...)

Oh yeah i remember Campag Velocet, we're getting more into late 90s/early 00s there.

On that note... anyone remember The Cooper Temple Clause?

Old 03.18.2011, 06:26 AM   #18
Glice
invito al cielo

Ha! I assumed they were still going/ popular. They're at about the time I stopped paying attention to indie stuff.

Now, Gomez - have they aged well or have I just got into the weekend blues warrior phase of waiting to die?

The Coral, anyone?

Quote:
Old 03.18.2011, 06:37 AM   #19
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ha! I assumed they were still going/ popular. They're at about the time I stopped paying attention to indie stuff.

Now, Gomez - have they aged well or have I just got into the weekend blues warrior phase of waiting to die?

The Coral, anyone?

Gomez have always been my absolute no1 hated band of that era, theres nothing that makes me cringe quite like that Whippin Picadilly song.

TCTC broke up about 4 years ago. I stand by their first album, they were unapologetically suburban and had a nice line in album art. Plus they were always good when i saw them live.

Old 03.18.2011, 06:52 AM   #20
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

I feel like breaking out some seriously obscure early 00s British indie-post-hardcore-rock. Anyone who remembers or recognises any of these gets double points, anyone who bought something by them gets triple points. Anyone who was a band member wins

Punish The Atom On the EP i bought the singer was wearing a balaclava - and based on this video, he made the right decision

The Parkinsons Portugeezers who worship the clash

Seafood The only thing i really remember about them is "Seafood are back!" Then i stopped paying attention

Easyworld BLEAAACH! This is still fun

King Adora I atually queued to MEET this band (mainly because friends were going, but im still ashamed) The phrase "Sub Manics" was invented in their honour

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth