Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page how would you rate rather ripped?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: how would you rate rather ripped?
10 10 9.35%
9 16 14.95%
8 29 27.10%
7 25 23.36%
6 12 11.21%
5 2 1.87%
4 3 2.80%
3 7 6.54%
2 1 0.93%
1 2 1.87%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06.05.2006, 02:38 PM   #21
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
There's a few songs I'm really neutral to, but songs like Reena and Rats really make up for them. I said 8.
Old 06.05.2006, 02:38 PM   #22
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
6, Nice album just not good enough.
8 is rated too high.
Old 06.05.2006, 02:50 PM   #23
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't listened to it yet...
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 03:16 PM   #24
Style
stalker

Style kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's asses
I gave it a 7. Lights Out and Pink Steam are great songs in my opinion, but the rest of the album doesn't quite live up to the level of these two, or else I'd have scored it higher. I also agree that it gets better each time you listen to it. Overall there arent any tracks I skip when listening to it.
Style is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 03:23 PM   #25
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses

reena, pink steam and rats are the standouts. too bad about the words to pink steam. i think thurston gave his best lyrics to kim.
jennthebenn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 03:59 PM   #26
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
rather weak = 3. I think i listened to it 3 - 4 times yet.
Gulasch Noir is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 04:26 PM   #27
FruitLoop
children of satan

FruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard sucka
7.... it's got its moments, some of them absolutely gorgeous, others not so much. Then again I've felt this way for every a;bum since ATL, yet it grew on me once I started having a few songs stuck in my head.

and yeah, Reena and Rats are amazing!...
FruitLoop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 04:59 PM   #28
maggot brain
little trouble girl

maggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to behold
i gave it 8 - its got such a great atmosphere, really different from other sy records

maggot brain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 05:40 PM   #29
badgercorn
bad moon rising

badgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's asses
After a few more listens:

Reena - loving this, really instant, like the rocking out bit. 9/10
Incinerate - again, very instant, stuck in my head right now. 9/10
Do You Believe In Rapture - nice, love the simplicity of the guitar harmonics. 8/10
Sleeping Around - OK, fairly straightforward rocker, tracks like this make me think of EJST&NS. 6/10
What A Waste - Ditto this one, but not quite as good - 5/10
Jams Run Free - I like the mellower Kim tracks on the album, this has a really strong melody. 8/10
Rats - reminds me of a No Wave track at the start a bit, nice to hear them going a bit darker. 8/10
Turquoise Boy - nice textured arpeggios, quite A Thousand Leaves. 7/10
Lights Out - liking this one more and more, pretty dark, great lyrics. 8/10
The Neutral - lovely chiming guitars, but need to hear it more. 6/10
Pink Steam - Murray Street-ish groove - 8/10
Or - This one reminds me of some other band but I can't think who. Good to hear that picking-behind-the-bridge clanging again - 7/10

I'll probably have a totally different opinion after a few more spins..
badgercorn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 05:46 PM   #30
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
After a lot of thought I rated it 6 out of 10... I was going to give it 5 but the quadruple charms of Reena, Jams Run Free, Pink Steam and Or raise it above mid point.
If you accept it for what it is, Sonic Youth lite basically, then you're going to enjoy it a lot more... like freshly squeezed orange juice with no frills. In many ways it is completely new territory for them... I like the controlled discipline of the song structures, you could argue that this album is more experimental than meets the eye... (In the context of what they've produced before and their approach to songwriting) They have taken the difficult route of producing a straightforward album of songs that are both pure and simple with precious little trademark sonic intervention. I think that it will hold a unique position in their body of work and it has my respect for that.

I was hoping that they would throw another curve ball like NYC Ghosts And Flowers... well actually thinking about it, in a way they have, but it's just not the curve ball that I was hoping for.

It certainly has it's moments... and it's growing on me the more that I play it... oh and I think that the vinyl version sleeve is one of their best.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 06:01 PM   #31
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
I won't rate it because IK don't believe in it but I'd say the album isn't
strong enough all the way. I also noticed that the lyrics sound very uninspired sometimes ( Reena). My standout tracks would be :
Incinerate : the melody is neat but most of all, I like the sound of the guitars
D Y B I R? : best lyrics
Jams run free : my favorite song, maybe the only one that brings in new musical ideas ( instrumental section ), plus the bass part is better than average SY bass playing( I have to admit I'm not a huge Kim fan, she could use a little more technique IMO )
Rats : Lee is directly inspired by a band whose name I can't remember
Turquoise boy : song that succeeds in all aspects where heather angel failed (both use same harmonic progressions in the beginning).

The downside to this are these songs :
What a waste : ok but sounds like a filler
the neutral : what happened ?

Overall I like this album more than EJSTNS and Dirty and Goo but it kinda pales in comparison with the last 2 releases, of course in my not so humble opinion. They could've used Jim in a song or 2, especially in Pink steam that sounds like it's been inspired by 'Stones'. The big disappointment for me is the fact that they didn't explore the jazzy directions they jammed towards in the previous LP ( I'm thinking Rain on Tin, unmade bed ).
lunberg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 06:06 PM   #32
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
it is definetly a grower of a record.....needs time to sink in after each listen
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 06:06 PM   #33
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
7, but like moshe said i need more time.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 06:16 PM   #34
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Nice, I got it right! 8. Not the best SY album, but it's definately worth buying. It grows on you like a motherfucker
Old 06.05.2006, 06:41 PM   #35
faggot mangler
little trouble girl

faggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's assesfaggot mangler kicks all y'all's asses
This album has some of the worst lyrics I have ever heard in my life.
faggot mangler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 07:14 PM   #36
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Saying its a 1 is like saying it like recording your mom typing on a keyboard!
I said 8, it's good stuff.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 07:15 PM   #37
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by faggot mangler

this must be your first sonic album..

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 07:21 PM   #38
Ignatius J.Reilly
empty page

Ignatius J.Reilly ain't too shabbyIgnatius J.Reilly ain't too shabby
i gave it 6.theres just something wrong with it.the songs arent' catchy or loose and open.some of the lyrics are bad.real bad.the songs sort of just drift along without much point and then end.hmmm. thats' how i feel about this album.hmmm. i hope they get back to dark,looser songs.their getting on a bit now so theres hope they could make a mature ablum.
Ignatius J.Reilly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 07:23 PM   #39
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by faggot mangler

I rip the heart out of your chest
Replace it with a grenade blast
Old 06.05.2006, 07:26 PM   #40
SugarLips
little trouble girl

SugarLips ain't too shabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
A most excellent album! One of SY's best in my opinion....Come on Incinerate!...Incinerate!!!

agreed ... and I love Rats !
SugarLips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth