Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Scientific Attempt To Create Most Annoying Song Ever
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.28.2008, 07:11 AM   #1
sarramkrop

An online poll conducted in the '90s set Vitaly Komar, Alex Melamid and David Soldier on a quest to create the most annoying song ever. After gathering data about people's least favorite music and lyrical subjects, they did the unthinkable: they combined them into a single monstrosity, specifically engineered to sound unpleasant to the maximum percentage of listeners. The song is not new, but it resurfaced on Dial "M" for Musicology.

Amazingly, this "most unwanted music" contains little dissonance -- that would have been too easy. For the most part, they seem to have tried to assemble these elements in a listenable way.

Komar & Melamid and David Soldier's list of undesirable elements included holiday music, bagpipes, pipe organ, a children's chorus and the concept of children in general (really?), Wal-Mart, cowboys, political jingoism, George Stephanopoulos, Coca Cola, bossanova synths, banjo ferocity, harp glissandos, oompah-ing tubas and much, much more. It's actually a fascinating listen, worthwhile for the opera rapping alone. (We didn't think that was possible either.)

You can listen to and download the song on here: http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/04/...ntific-at.html
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 07:26 AM   #2
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
opera rapping? LOL
Old 05.28.2008, 07:29 AM   #3
sarramkrop

It has to be heard.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 07:34 AM   #4
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I'll check it out at the start of next month when my download limit resets :/
Old 05.28.2008, 08:07 AM   #5
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
Listening... I like it pretty well.

Not sure how scientific their "scientific" approach was. They certainly overlooked some things.
hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 08:39 AM   #6
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
they could have just used that recent kylie minogue song or the new duffy song about warwick avenue tube station and saved themselves a lot of trouble
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 08:39 AM   #7
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
listening to the opera rapping whilst that guy shreds on the bagpipes is blowing my mind
Old 05.28.2008, 08:43 AM   #8
sarramkrop

Why did I not think of opera rapping myself? I could have been the new Pavarotta.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 08:45 AM   #9
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I know a song thatll get on yer nerves
get on yer nerves
get on yer nerves
I know a song thattl get on yer nerves
get get get on yer nerves

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 09:17 AM   #10
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

here's the opposite experiment, a song created after 500 people were surveyed to say what they would most like to hear in a song, it's a lot worse, it's like a spoof michael bolton song
http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/05/...-produced.html
Old 05.28.2008, 09:39 AM   #11
sarramkrop

That's horrendous. I wonder who they interviewed that would like their favourite song to sound ''humble''?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 09:58 AM   #12
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
all that and they didn't invite yngwie mälmsteen to contribute a neoclassical two handed tapping solo?
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 09:59 AM   #13
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
they could have just used that recent kylie minogue song or the new duffy song about warwick avenue tube station and saved themselves a lot of trouble

or just about anything heard on mTV in the past 10 years
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 10:04 AM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, this is really fucking good.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 10:33 AM   #15
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
this isnt half as annoying as the annoying song by the butthole surfers!
Old 05.28.2008, 10:39 AM   #16
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
This is moreso "let's try to clusterfuck a million genres to make one weirdbutt genre" than it is annoying. I could think of way more annoying sounds than this.

This actually kinda reminds me of something Negativland would do, especially with the Walmart jingles.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 11:02 AM   #17
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
I was listening to bits of this. To me it just sounded a bit dull and sparse.
The Residents succeed in this sort of stuff better and are actually annoying, demented and great simultaneously.

I need to hear Helter Stupid to remember if it's more annoying than this.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 11:09 AM   #18
sarramkrop

The only difference is that what The Residents, Negativeland or even People Like Us do is not what these dudes were trying to do.

It's not like they were making some sort of artistic statement, they were just experimenting with what a sample of the population find are ''good'' or ''bad' qualities in a song, and then put those qualities together to compose two examples of songs that reflect what that group of people might have thought of as good and bad. Of course there are way more annoying songs out there, that's hardly the point.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 12:00 PM   #19
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
that song is so fucking LONG

that, and the opera rapping are the worst aspects.
Old 05.28.2008, 12:05 PM   #20
sarramkrop

The opera rapping and that bit at 13:33 are my favourite bits. The whole thing is good.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth