Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Serena-Maneesh
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.12.2006, 07:56 AM   #1
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
i just saw a clip of them playing on MTV2 and they reminded me alot of sonic youth. check them out.

website
http://www.serena-maneesh.com/news.php

info
The network of musicians who each contribute to its unique sound is organized around its main protagonist and songwriter Emil Nikolaisen. Emil has previously played the drums in Norwegian punk rock band Silver as well as in the retro-pop orchestra The Loch Ness Mouse. He even has a past as guitarist in the metal band Extol.
Important sources of musical inspiration are amongst others Velvet Underground, My Bloody Valentine, Sonic Youth, The Stooges, Suicide, Spacemen 3, Stereolab, Royal Trux, Neu!, and George Gershwin. As these names indicate, Serena Maneesh is a band built upon a love of musical tensions. Intense noise and pulsating rythms often hide beautiful harmonies and melodies. Crooked and distorted blues-riffs are replaced by psychedelic strings and vague vibes, flutes and organs, and the structure of the songs are often quite unorthodox.
The vocals of Serena Maneesh serves its function as an instrument amongst others, and its lyrics reflect the very same tensions as the music itself - from dark to light, from the poverty of the soul to its greatness. In its critique of superficiality and egocentrism a clear social awarenes comes to expression as well.
In late 2005, the band has toured Europe in support to The Dandy Warhols. In early 2006, Serena Maneesh did the opening gig for British band Oasis during its UK tour.
The highly acclaimed self-titled debutalbum was released on the Norwegian record-label HoneyMilk in the autumn of 2005. In december of the same year, the Norwegian vinyl label Hype City has released a LP print featuring two exclusive tracks, and the Spanish indie distributor Touchme Records has published the CD. In March 2006, the band announced its transfer to the PlayLouder-branch of the Beggars-group established in Europe (UK, Germany & Italy), North America (United States & Canada) and Oceania (Australia). In June 2006, the band released an international edition of it's self-titled album (both CD & LP) through the international label PlayLouder.

Pictures

screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2006, 08:01 AM   #2
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Band members
Emil Nikolaisen, vocal and guitar.
Lina Holmstrøm, vocal and organ.
Hilma Nikolaisen, bass.
Eivind Schou, viola.
Einar Lukerstuen, drums.
Øystein Sandsdalen, guitar.
Sondre Tristan Midttun, guitar.
Tommy Akerholdt, drums.

Diskography
-Fixxations (2002)

-Zuruck (2005)

-Serena-Maneesh (2005)

Old 06.12.2006, 08:02 AM   #3
screamingskull
invito al cielo

-Drain Cosmetics (2006)

Old 06.12.2006, 10:54 AM   #5
DemonBox
the end of the ugly

DemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's asses
I like them. I'm gonna be seeing them live this summer, it's gonna be a blast, I've seen some footage, and it was great.
DemonBox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2006, 11:14 AM   #6
screamingskull
invito al cielo

kool, im getting Rather Ripped tomorrow, i think ill get something by them aswell, if i can afford it.
Old 06.12.2006, 11:24 AM   #7
DemonBox
the end of the ugly

DemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, i dont think you can go wrong, they're great
DemonBox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2006, 06:58 PM   #8
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
I heard a few of their songs in a friend's car. I was actually really impressed. I thought they had a definite My Bloody Valentine vibe to them.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth