Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rather Ripped review up on Amplitude
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.07.2006, 09:53 AM   #1
frequencysquared
empty page

frequencysquared has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I just posted a review of Rather Ripped to the phonography section of the Amplitude Equals One Over Frequency Squared web site.
See Link Below:
http://amplitude-phonography.blogspot.com/2006/08/sonic-youth.html

A=1/F Squared is dedicated to the exploration of Independent Rock, Free Jazz, Lo-Fi, Drone & Universal Rock.
See Link Below:
http://www.frequencysquared.com
frequencysquared is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 01:11 PM   #2
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
I have grown attached to Kim Gordon’s guitar playing.

Haha !!! Kim only plays guitar on 'Rats' (and she's just making background noise), this guy doesn't know his shit !!

Just kidding, the rest of the review is pretty good though...
lunberg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 05:03 PM   #3
frequencysquared
empty page

frequencysquared has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I think you misunderstood. I am aware that Kim did not play guitars on most of the songs on Rather Ripped. I was stating that I missed the three guitar attack of Thurston, Kim and Lee, when Jim was in the band, since they were four piece again during the recording of this album. Sorry if I did not make that clear.....
frequencysquared is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 05:47 PM   #4
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
It's not a bad review (although I do hate RR, that's beside the point I suppose). I would say it comes from a strange point of view though. The "O' Rourke years" were not at all their jammiest. I would say those are the WM and A Thousand Leaves sessions, which are where they reached their peak ability when it comes to jamming (not, as many say, on Murray Street).

Also, "Shoot" isn't from the perspectie of a junkie. It's from the perspective of a woman who shoots her husband/boyfriend because he's an asshole/oppressor.
Old 08.07.2006, 10:01 PM   #5
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Washing Machine is where most of their jams run free, so to speak... Especially the part in the title track where everything just spaces out and the song drops into free fall mode... Beautiful... Your review is actually one of the most eloquent ones I've read with regards to Rather Ripped. Most of the other reviews out there seem a bit brief and dismissive... Kudos...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth