Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.25.2016, 03:09 AM   #19661
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
right-- DD is coming next week!

i hope it's not made for 3D also (though i suppose it was)

i don't have a 3D TV or the stupid glasses... but i'll say today was the first time ever i felt like i needed one. DD might make me feel deprived ha ha ha.

ETA: a funny nod to jaws that richard dreyfuss was there or what??

I don't know how it works in the US but my copy of 3D, the one you watched, came on 2 discs. One was the 3d version you need glasses to watch and the other one was the same film but without the 3d processing. I tried to watch the 3D version disc and it was horrible, even with the glasses.

My copy of 3DD is just the regular film with no need for glasses.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2016, 09:05 AM   #19662
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't know how it works in the US but my copy of 3D, the one you watched, came on 2 discs. One was the 3d version you need glasses to watch and the other one was the same film but without the 3d processing. I tried to watch the 3D version disc and it was horrible, even with the glasses.

My copy of 3DD is just the regular film with no need for glasses.
oh, rentals dont come in fancy boxes

i ordered piranha (2010) from netflix, but the bluray was busted, so-- instead of waiting for a replacement to arrive i streamed via amazon, which had "piranha 3D"-- i dont know if amazon does actual 3D, i thought it was just a title thing. the movie is advertised as "3D" everywhere outside of netflix. weird.

in any case, watched also THE ISLE

great, beautiful film--not sure it qualifies as "horror" though there are many violent and disturbing scenes, and some apparent animal abuse i did not dig (i read UK versions had them deleted). regardless, beautifully filmed and acted and great story and characters-- so little dialogue that it's virtually a silent movie
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2016, 10:05 AM   #19663
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Children of the stones

Probably belongs in the TV thread but given previous chat about The Wicker Man, this was a children's TV series from the 70s that has a very similar vibe. Amazing it was aimed at children. Genuinely creepy.

The whole series here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwT0wLnT7Rc
Old 09.25.2016, 10:11 AM   #19664
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS

Made it on to my "Favorite Comedies Ever" list.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2016, 11:51 AM   #19665
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
GREMLINS

hated it

never saw it before. had a couple of semi-funny moments with the dog but otherwise what a fucking boring piece of shit. watched the last 1/2 hour of it in fast forward because it went on and on with the bullshit and i just wanted to get to the end

only 2 good things about it now that i turned it off:

1) phoebe cates was so pretty

2) audrey from the original little shop of horrors had a small part here, which was a hilarious coincidence (the opening of the movie also is reminiscent)

spielberg has his name all over this as "presenting"-- this is the type of shit that taught me to hate his name before i realized he was actually a great filmmaker.

but fucking gremlins, jeezus, fucking terrible. i want my money back. can't get back the time wasted on it though.
Old 09.25.2016, 12:41 PM   #19666
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS

Made it on to my "Favorite Comedies Ever" list.

Oh, yeah, this was just fucking fantastic. One of the most all-around enjoyable movie watching experiences of the last few years for me.

Keep an eye out for the sequel, "We're Wolves," which is coming in 2017 I think.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2016, 12:48 PM   #19667
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
GREMLINS

hated it

never saw it before. had a couple of semi-funny moments with the dog but otherwise what a fucking boring piece of shit. watched the last 1/2 hour of it in fast forward because it went on and on with the bullshit and i just wanted to get to the end

only 2 good things about it now that i turned it off:

1) phoebe cates was so pretty

2) audrey from the original little shop of horrors had a small part here, which was a hilarious coincidence (the opening of the movie also is reminiscent)

spielberg has his name all over this as "presenting"-- this is the type of shit that taught me to hate his name before i realized he was actually a great filmmaker.

but fucking gremlins, jeezus, fucking terrible. i want my money back. can't get back the time wasted on it though.

Hmm... I would have thought this one would have held up, kind of like Tremors. I remember really liking it as a kid. But, really, what '80s kid didn't love this movie? It's probably been over 20 years one I last saw it. Maybe I'll revisit.

Don't watch the sequel.. not that you would, just saying. Don't.

I think Spielberg more or less "presented" the entire 1980s. I can't believe he agreed to have his name associated with some of those films. Jesus.
Old 09.25.2016, 01:18 PM   #19668
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Hmm... I would have thought this one would have held up, kind of like Tremors. I remember really liking it as a kid. But, really, what '80s kid didn't love this movie? It's probably been over 20 years one I last saw it. Maybe I'll revisit.

Don't watch the sequel.. not that you would, just saying. Don't.

I think Spielberg more or less "presented" the entire 1980s. I can't believe he agreed to have his name associated with some of those films. Jesus.

tremors is a grownup movie and the banter between the main characters is hilarious. other characters are appealing as well--walter and the mexican dude and the gun nuts. the annoying kid as comic relief. and the mom/girl while rather nondescript are the "vulnerable" spot that adds drama. the grad student girl didn't do it for me but okay.

this one... maybe appealed to kids through the toy aspect, but it was a rambling mess with too many cartoon characters in only for a brief appearance and then gone

the icing on the shit cake was having the "bad" gremlins as black people cartoons, break-dancing and wearing big hats and in some sort of jazz/blues joint and shit. wtf. i should have known it was coming after the chinese caricatures from the beginning.

but yeah it's not like i turned against this because the racial aspects. it was first and foremost a boring flick made of random parts and way too long

i used to think spielberg was a hack who pandered to the suburban masses, a kind of ideologist of reaganism, which made me skip schindler's list and ryan's privates in their day, but when i finally saw duel, and then empire of the sun, i was like "wait a minute..."
Old 09.25.2016, 01:30 PM   #19669
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

i used to think spielberg was a hack who pandered to the suburban masses, a kind of ideologist of reaganism, which made me skip schindler's list and ryan's privates in their day, but when i finally saw duel, and then empire of the sun, i was like "wait a minute..."

wow you missed out initially. yeah Spielberg is a "pop" movie maker but he is diverse with range and his serious films are as much in the pantheon of film as his blockbusters

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2016, 01:40 PM   #19670
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I vaguely remember GREMLINS 2 had some pointed social commentary. No?
Old 09.25.2016, 01:42 PM   #19671
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I vaguely remember GREMLINS 2 had some pointed social commentary. No?
ha ha ha-- that i'll never now

this one made overt references to that jimmy stewart movie about his savings and loans (i forget the name) and it attempted a criticism of 80s greed but it was pretty fucking weak and went nowhere with it

oh and then the "lesson" that the "wise chinaman" imparts at the end. nature's gifts and you're not ready yet or something. lame.
Old 09.25.2016, 02:04 PM   #19672
evollove
invito al cielo

WHY GREMLINS 2 IS AN ESSENTIAL COMMENTARY ON CONTEMPORARY POP CULTURE

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...y-pop-culture/

Actually, a search of "Gremlins Social Commentary" came up with more stuff than I imagined.

Xenophobia in Joe Dante’s Gremlins

https://kissmybloodyaxe.wordpress.co...gremlins-1984/
Old 09.25.2016, 02:04 PM   #19673
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2016, 07:04 PM   #19674
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
WHY GREMLINS 2 IS AN ESSENTIAL COMMENTARY ON CONTEMPORARY POP CULTURE

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...y-pop-culture/

Actually, a search of "Gremlins Social Commentary" came up with more stuff than I imagined.

Xenophobia in Joe Dante’s Gremlins

https://kissmybloodyaxe.wordpress.co...gremlins-1984/

dammit man, now you have me wanting to watch gremlins 2 if only for anthropological reasons.

---

i need picks for next weekend. piranha DD is a shoo-in as "action" (plus tits). need some sex horror (nekromantik is a candidate), and a horror comedy at least. that's the backbone, i might add fillers (really wanna see invasion of the body snatchers). weekdays i can only fit in TV shows so likely true detective 2 plus the end of house of cards 4.

so: what's a good, can't-miss horror comedy?

eta: cabin in the woods? i might get cabin in the woods
Old 09.25.2016, 07:22 PM   #19675
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Cabin rules. Hilarious and brilliant.
Old 09.25.2016, 08:41 PM   #19676
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

eta: cabin in the woods? i might get cabin in the woods

Cabin in the Woods is legitimately brilliant. I know you like Joss Whedon's Avengers, and I think you like Joss Whedon in general (?), but Cabin is a MUCH smarter and more interesting movie. It's, like, "real" Whedon, without the intervention of massive publishers and film studios. It's Whedon's story.

I went into it expecting to see a pretty good, but fairly straight-forward horror film, and ohmagod it's totally not that.

You might think it is, up to about the 30 minute mark, but then shit gets seriously cray-cray. And seriously stupid. Ad genuinely hilarious. And perhaps more amazing than anything else, pretty goddamn scary.

The premise is a little bit Evil Dead, a little bit Monster Squad, a little bit The Office (or Parks and Rec or whatever your poison is), plus a fair amount of Lovercraft > All mythology that made it extra special for me.

Cabin and Serenity are my favorite Whedon films. I strongly recommend it, but only if you see it through. It might feel like an Evil Dead meets Scary Movie kind of thing for the first bit, but push through.

incredibly sayisfying. Whedon is clearly a true film nerd, and he pulls from some obscure places as well as some very obvious ones.

Might be the best "horror" movie of the decade, really.
Old 09.25.2016, 11:10 PM   #19677
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

thanks guys-- yes, i'm a whedon fan since his buffy days

it should be here soon!

also lining up the evil dead which i've never seen

i should try to get the roger corman gothic horrors too if i can-- i used to be an edgar allan poe fan when i was a kid and it would be interesting to see
Old 09.26.2016, 02:25 AM   #19678
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Can't go wrong with Cabin in the Woods and Evil Dead.

Piranha 3DD probably qualifies as comedy horror but other than that, how about Return of the Living Dead?

Masque of the Red Death would cover your Poe requirements, and it's a great film in its own right.

If you can get hold of Nekromantik then it's worth seeing

Also. how about something that's genuinely scary, like the 1st Paranormal Activity?

I'd also recommend It Follows and House of the Devil if youre interested in recent (and very good) homages to 80s horror movies.

Another good recent horror is The Babadook.

Also reasonably new and with a real good story, and surprisingly scary, is The Woman in Black

If it was me, on Halloween night itself, I'd go for something like

Bride of Frankenstein
Night of the Living Dead
Carnival of Souls
The Funhouse
Old 09.26.2016, 08:24 AM   #19679
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Cabin in the Woods is legitimately brilliant.

It really, really is.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2016, 08:47 AM   #19680
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
The babadook had way too much screaming toddler in it. For me, screaming toddler is the real horror
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
884934974981982983 984 98598698799410341084 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth