Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim Gordon and Kathleen Hanna
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.12.2010, 03:47 PM   #21
kinn
the destroyed room

kinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asses
identity politics is a fucking consumer trap. avoid at all costs. there is no payoff, its just a form of labour on the modernist concept of the self, which has taken over for god. its a joke.

as for riot grrl, well
capitalism is feminist now.

the coming insurrection has a line like "a neo matriarchy is trying to take over from a dead patriarchy."

i think there is truth in that. i think a kind of watered down riot grrl/punk is the establishment right now. obviously.

but you can argue that this is all a bourgeios cover up of the actual event of punk which was just anti life and too nihilistic to last and become institutionalised. the problem is that it was very stupid to begin with and in you can't go very far with it. i mean who the fuck cares anymore.

i think punk IS the music of late capitalism, for all its pretenses otherwise. it is a soundtrack to consumer identity crisis, to the build up to the end of history. and we are beyond that now. so its become a useless decadence. a middle class joke.

what the fuck does it mean to have a riot grrl show or a punk show now? when we are committing genocide in the name of the kind of liberal human rights these bands were "fighting" for back in the late70's-90's? their "revolution" is the establishment and they are just a bunch of media professionals right now. how is this remotely political, its apolitical, or its a kind of disavowed establishment ritual akin to priests in churches talking about "making sacrifices for god and country".

what will the response to this post be if i were to run into the club screaming it? something along the lines of "just shut up and enjoy it, you're taking it too seriously, it's all about fun, having a good time or shut up".

this is what you get when you'll only accept a revolution that let's you shake your ass LOL.

i mean seriously DR. fight the system? wut. come on. what a vague and airy concept. all these identity politic causes are exactly the type of thing good liberals keep themselves occupied with, because all they can imagine is capitalism with a more human face.

guilt is all it is. and "questioning privilege" and all that crap. who is it that's AGAINST womens rights and gay rights etc. today? oh that's right i forgot, racists and right wingers who get censored and treated with exactly the kind of contempt and scorn that is the actual PROBLEM in gay/womens/racial oppression. that is not "progress". there is no such thing as "progress". just western capitalism's inbuilt dream it can perpetuate itself to infinity. and i'm sorry but it can't. and it's efforts to do so involve the genocide of people who i'm sure were gay/straight or whatever. so its kind of a sick joke.

in fact the system THREATENS us now. "oh, if it weren't for us benevolent liberals you would be getting stoned and forced to wear veils! so shut up and enjoy yourself and spend and fight for inclusion and equality!"

this is what people need to understand about the system now. it is not liberal enough to except those of us who want NO identity. who don't believe sexual binaries exist. who don't WANT to pretend to have a self, nevermind an "identity". just consumer modernist bullshit. what about freedom FROM identity? not acceptable nowadays.

and let's not pretend the liberals are anything other than hedonists and homophobes in disguise who want to play nice to show how tolerant they are. as long as you mark yourself off as GAY in their little pre approved rituals of coming out and being the side character in a sit com and carrying this identity around your neck like a noose and ironically deprecating yourself then you are FREE to drink and drug yourself to death in gaybars BECAUSE YOU ENJOY YOUR LIFE and fuck those mean homophobes who are trying to steal your enjoyment!

by playing the gay game you slot yourself nicely into a form of discourse that is at its root white/straight supremacist. because it is the white women and men who get to govern the laws of language and deem FAGGOT and NIGGER acceptable. which is precisely how they control the discourse and keep themselves as the default setting precisely because there is no word for them, they are just normal, but the rest of us are all special. and we need special codifications of language that THEY control. that's just how it is considering whose got the money. i mean it's pretty useless to change that. altho for the race thing, whites will be a minority by the end of this century so things will change then.

the thing people really don't seem to want to admit about "art" or music or whatever is that its all part of the spectacle for us proles. it is never going to be "pure" or have "political" value because it is a basically a game of people who don't have enough money being forced to commodify and sell knowledge and ideas back and forth between each other.

now you have rich middle class folk who think this is just THE GREATEST AND MOST AUTHENTIC thing ever and start to develop all these religious theories about it. that's because its a form of hedonism and it requires little more than consumerism but it makes them feel "real" and "cool" like they are some poor person who has to struggle to survive, not a middle class person lost in a sea of inertia and meaninglessness. and for those middle classes right now, punk and indie is THE thing.

there is a very cruel aspect to it. like - hurt yourself, drug yourself, fuck up yourself more, just do it as part of a spectacle for us and we'll reward your ego and give you status. its a game, for we who are NIGGERS. that's why the word nigger is unacceptable, because we are all niggers now. it's got nothing to do with being black or white. its socio economic. if anything, people with black skin get it deflected onto them in this kind of obfuscatory ritual. the more you believe in the "political" potential of art the more impotent you are. but the more you THINK its got something to do with having a vagina or brown skin or someone's penis in your male mouth the more the fact that its all CLASS based is ignored. turned into the unthinkable.

see, punk culture is and has always been held together by hedonism. art, music, drugs, bars, dealers, small time record labels, artists etc. there's nothing you can do within this scene that isn't reflecting the same old messages back and forth between mirrors. noone in power is going to be remotely influenced by it. as for the people who are actually exposed to it, all the styles and scenes will fall with time, and at the end of the day everybody is out for themselves anyway. and what kind of collectivity could you ever hope to create when it has ART/ENTERTAINMENT at its centre, because there's going to be people scamming and fooling the rest for cash. it's all self interest, the same as any other form of capitalism.

seriously, i shouldn't have to SAY all this. but there are a lot of people who would like to claim punk as having some sort of deeper political ramifications. well if it can't move beyond yesterdays failed leftism then let it rot in the museum for all i care.

case in point - me - i am hesitant to even say a fraction of the stuff i do say on this forum because i want to save it up for a book. so i can make money off it. and you can all buy it from me and find out the real truth and solution to your shitty lives. it will tell you how to be a good alternative consumer who fights the system, still gets all its resources but can do so with no guilt. you can paypal me now to help fund the project. i'm only half joking.
kinn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 03:56 PM   #22
kinn
the destroyed room

kinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asses
i should add that i do not intend to say "give up on gay/womens/racial stuff" alltogether. there is a LOT of stuff you can do. you just have to shed all the capitalist ideological illusions from your thinking. you are not going to get anywhere unless your politics also take economics into consideration, at the very least. in fact i'd say they should have economics as their foundation.
Old 12.12.2010, 03:58 PM   #23
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Punk is an antithesis to ''bad'' music music as much as fascism is an alternative to capitalism. It isn't an alternative at all. Not when you think about its overall effects.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 04:02 PM   #24
kinn
the destroyed room

oh yeah? tell that to atari teenage riot or are you to much of a soulless mainstreamer to remember the revolution that their music caused and how we all got pensions and free healthcare when we bought their cds? thought so.
Old 12.12.2010, 04:06 PM   #25
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinn
oh yeah? tell that to atari teenage riot or are you to much of a soulless mainstreamer to remember the revolution that their music caused and how we all got pensions and free healthcare when we bought their cds? thought so.
I'm not a victim of their ''revolution'' as much as they are. You should ask them.
Old 12.12.2010, 04:08 PM   #26
kinn
the destroyed room

i was joking.
Old 12.12.2010, 04:09 PM   #27
kinn
the destroyed room

i would ask carl crack how much of a victim he was, but he's dead. probably because he thought he was a victim and it wasn't his fault he was smoking so much crack. larl
Old 12.12.2010, 04:10 PM   #28
kinn
the destroyed room

btw don't you read your PMS?
Old 12.12.2010, 04:17 PM   #29
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Sorry, read the pm and still mean to reply. What do you think about riot grrrl bukkakes?
Old 12.12.2010, 04:19 PM   #30
kinn
the destroyed room

oh you.
Old 12.12.2010, 04:31 PM   #31
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinn
LIKE DON'T TELL ME I LIKE CAN'T DANCE JUST COS I'M A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

noones telling you that. noones telling you anything like that. you just wish they were so you could write a song about how oppressed you are deary.

This I can agree with.
Old 12.12.2010, 04:36 PM   #32
kinn
the destroyed room

well i would hope you don't agree with anything i say at all. but not so much that you might decide to try "discussing" it with me.
Old 12.12.2010, 04:47 PM   #33
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
This is so dumb on so many levels:
http://stacykonkiel.com/soulponies/2...want-it-to-be/

Self-proclaimed nu-riot grrrls!
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 04:50 PM   #34
kinn
the destroyed room

You’re probably thinking, “Well then, how CAN we start the Riot back up again, Debbie Downer?!?” Lucky for you, I’m a pushy Jewess with no shortage of opinions on the matter.

olololooloolo
Old 12.12.2010, 04:50 PM   #35
kinn
the destroyed room

The next step is realizing that Carrie Brownstein, Allison Wolfe, etc are not rockstars. They really aren’t any different from you or me.
Old 12.12.2010, 04:51 PM   #36
kinn
the destroyed room

Omg Cos I Thought They Were Like Rockstars But Im The Same As Them Wow Omg I KNEW I WAS SPECIAL
Old 12.12.2010, 04:52 PM   #37
kinn
the destroyed room

Omg Im Going To Be Able To Express Myself And Have A Bisexual Affair And Smoke Cigarettes And Stay Out All Night And Go Shopping Omg Riot Grrl Is Awesome Omg
Old 12.12.2010, 05:05 PM   #38
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah! Let's just play the same 3 chords over and over again! Remember, it's not about the music. Skinned Teen is really kewl and riot and they sucked, so we can too! Get out there grrlz!
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 05:07 PM   #39
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

There are many women movements I support. Riot grrrl is the product of dumb, financially comfortable women with guilt though. Yes, they have less fortunate people in their ranks. Still, they are they are idiotic and time wasting and achieve too little because of that. They remind me of so many gay pride activists.
Old 12.12.2010, 05:08 PM   #40
kinn
the destroyed room

i'm going to write "don't be racist" on the flaps of my vagina so that george bush will stop discriminating against the equal rights of african americans.

then they will be able to dance with me and we will all be equal.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth