Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The new GbV by the old GbV is out.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.04.2012, 07:23 PM   #1
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Check mediafire.

I tried to find the original thread on this, but kept getting distracted and poking into other threads. By the time I realized I'd wasted 45 minutes at work, I stopped.

Halfway through, it pretty much sounds like Guided by Voices. Nothing earthshaking going on here, but it's definitely essential. I was hoping for a Dinosaur jr style reunion, with an ever-so-slightly updated sound and the energy of a new band in their 20's. This kinda sounds like the indie kid version of what all those 2000's Paul McCartney albums sounded like to my parents.

It's worth having. Sorry to bring it up again.

Let's Go Eat the Factory.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2012, 09:22 PM   #2
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Toby's got 3 or 4 on it. very solid record.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2012, 10:02 PM   #3
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i hate gbv. robert pollard is just an annoying prick.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2012, 01:28 AM   #4
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
you just hate because he can drink more beer than you.

He can drink more than Isaac Brock. The guy's a machine and his oil is booze. I've never been to a non-slurred-word GbV show. I think the alcohol increases his tendency to speak in a faux-British accent.

But I love GbV. They're like the reverse Beatles of indie rock. In the sense that their most ambitious records came at the beginning, and the lamer stuff came later.

Still totally essential, though. It's a solid record and I give them props for using the "classic" line-up. It's a good f'n album.
Old 01.05.2012, 08:09 AM   #5
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
He can drink more than Isaac Brock. The guy's a machine and his oil is booze. I've never been to a non-slurred-word GbV show. I think the alcohol increases his tendency to speak in a faux-British accent.

But I love GbV. They're like the reverse Beatles of indie rock. In the sense that their most ambitious records came at the beginning, and the lamer stuff came later.

Still totally essential, though. It's a solid record and I give them props for using the "classic" line-up. It's a good f'n album.

i wouldn't call _Forever Since Breakfast_, _Devil/Toes_ or _Sandbox_ all that ambitious....

jon boy, have you had any personal, negative encounters w/ Pollard? sure he's got an opinion and a mouth to voice it, and he can come off pretty egotistical, but then again that's a pretty common trait of musicians in general. I've met him a few times and he's always been really nice and very funny.
Old 01.05.2012, 01:35 PM   #6
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by narlus
i wouldn't call _Forever Since Breakfast_, _Devil/Toes_ or _Sandbox_ all that ambitious....

jon boy, have you had any personal, negative encounters w/ Pollard? sure he's got an opinion and a mouth to voice it, and he can come off pretty egotistical, but then again that's a pretty common trait of musicians in general. I've met him a few times and he's always been really nice and very funny.

Yeah, I was talking about the biggies. Y'know... the three or so albums that are so well known I don't even need to name them that were followed by a decade of tolerably enjoyable but quintessentially unexciting stuff?
Old 01.05.2012, 02:38 PM   #7
narlus
100%

but yeah...Bee Thousand was their 8th record...
Old 01.05.2012, 05:20 PM   #8
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by narlus
but yeah...Bee Thousand was their 8th record...

All I mean is they got worse as time went on instead of better, but you're right. In reality their prime era was really in the middle.

Actually, with the exception of Bee and Alien Lanes, I think their true early stuff was better, but most would disagree and tell me Bee Thousand is the bible.

Long story short, the new album sounds like Guided by Voices. Pretty much,
Old 01.08.2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
For a moment i thought this at first glance said GVB! i nearly had an emotion stir up but not quite. Ar well lalalala...
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2012, 04:53 PM   #10
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
I really love the gbv "classic" period from 92-95 so when i heard that the lineup was back together i got real excited for the new lp but was kinda letdown after hearing it. He should have just released this as a solo lp.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2012, 06:32 PM   #11
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
used to really love this band for a short time back in 99. during that time i think i collected everything that they put out besides the box set of their earlier albums. the obsession didn't last long. very hit or miss band and i don't feel like hearing 30 second songs unless it's from Wire and the stupid song titles with the stupid lyrics got old.

heard the new album. didn't like it. don't care to hear it again.

agreed that Bee Thousand is good, but Alien Lanes was always my favorite. and still is.

Alien Lanes is my favorite too I think. I really love Bee Thousand, and pretty much everything from Propellor to King Shit and the Golden Boys, but Alien Lanes seems to be the long lasting favorite.

Oh, and I should mention that sometimes I HATE this band. It usually happens after I've been on a huge GbV kick, and listened to their entire catalog on repeat for a week. For the following month, their songs blend together in my head and drive me insane.

I think the new album will be a grower in the sense that its value will be more readily evident a few years from now.
Old 01.08.2012, 06:32 PM   #12
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Still, this album has not pushed me into a GbV binge as I thought it would.
Old 01.08.2012, 07:22 PM   #13
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
where is TheFoxBen? I went him to tell me if it's worth getting or not. I SHOULD be so excited, but I'm not sure now.
Old 01.08.2012, 07:28 PM   #14
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

You should have a moderate level of excitement. It's a nice album. Not bad by any means, but not awesome either. You'll be glad you have it, at least, and it might become awesome in time. For now, though, I'd say it's a must have for hardcore fans, and that's about it. Buy it on vinyl and put it on your wall or something.

No, it's like a 7 out of 10 at least.
Old 01.09.2012, 09:10 AM   #15
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
You should have a moderate level of excitement. It's a nice album. Not bad by any means, but not awesome either. You'll be glad you have it, at least, and it might become awesome in time. For now, though, I'd say it's a must have for hardcore fans, and that's about it. Buy it on vinyl and put it on your wall or something.

No, it's like a 7 out of 10 at least.

sounds like something I should own. I was a hardcore enough fan to keep up with the Fading Captain series...
Old 01.09.2012, 01:13 PM   #16
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
maybe the "classic" line-up lost their jobs and they need money.

im not knocking them for reuniting and touring i totally understand and respect that aspect but to only release an album for monetary purposes is dumb.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2012, 07:46 PM   #17
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
did anyone see the bass player fall on his ass on Letterman?

here:http://youtube.com/watch?v=8aOZPNyVaIY HAHA!!!!

Oh he did not just do that.

He almost looked as retarded falling as he did before he fell.
Old 01.09.2012, 07:50 PM   #18
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
sounds like something I should own. I was a hardcore enough fan to keep up with the Fading Captain series...

Hey me too! Somewhat, anyway. I was just playing "Crickets..." today.
Old 01.09.2012, 07:55 PM   #19
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

I've decided this whole thing is tantamount to R.E.M. getting back with Bill Berry. Super-prolific, often-awesome, band that's been out of the game returns with hyped up new album that in the end sounds pretty tame and doesn't really capture the essence of the band because, well, the time for that has passed.
Old 01.10.2012, 05:54 PM   #20
narlus
100%

Quote:
I've decided this whole thing is tantamount to R.E.M. getting back with Bill Berry. Super-prolific, often-awesome, band that's been out of the game returns with hyped up new album that in the end sounds pretty tame and doesn't really capture the essence of the band because, well, the time for that has passed.

your decision is pretty dumb. Pollard's never been out of the game.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth