Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what should i do with this broken sax?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.14.2011, 09:16 AM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I found a saxophone that has all its parts except the top part -- the part that screws into the rest of the saxophone. Yeah, this is a pretty significant part, obviously, but it has all the buttons for you to press and all that other fun shit, so I figure I could get SOME use out of it.

So, what would you do with it? Just try to find that little part? Or do something even crazier with it? I was thinking of making it a highly devoted part of a percussion set. I've already used it on certain songs to sounds you might hear in a gamelan performance, and it sounds pretty great. When you hit it different parts of the sax, it emits a different tone, some parts resonate more than others. Keep in mind this thing is pretty damn beat up, period, if you couldn't have gussed. Here's what it looks like:

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Just rejoice in the fact that it is broken.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2011, 09:38 AM   #3
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Put a blowhorn on the end where the reed goes.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2011, 10:37 AM   #4
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
use it as a dildo. i'm surprised you haven't tried it yet.
Old 01.14.2011, 11:02 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Put a blowhorn on the end where the reed goes.

that's a good idea. do you thinkI could still"play" it this way? I'd like to figure out a way I could still manipulate the sound in meaningful ways.

Old 01.14.2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
You should be able to find a mouthpiece relatively cheaply. Depending on the action on the keys, it may not be as fucked as you think. If it is fucked then you've got a quartertonal sax that'll play multiphonics pretty easily. I'd go for repairing it over finding other uses for it, just because you could easily send it past the point of no return, and then you've just got an elaborately-shaped bit of metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2011, 12:30 PM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

yeah, I mean if I blow in it now, it does absolutely nothing. I actually stuck the trumpet into the saxophone hole, if that makes sense (again, I could probably take a cool picture of it) and managed to get some weird sounds out of it -- beyond just weird sounds out of the trumpet, period.

Old 01.14.2011, 12:52 PM   #8
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
I'd get a mouthpiece and try it. Also with the mouthpiece you could then move on, throw the sax away, and put the mouthpiece on more complex instruments like cruches or watering cans.
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2011, 01:15 PM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
yeah, I mean if I blow in it now, it does absolutely nothing. I actually stuck the trumpet into the saxophone hole, if that makes sense (again, I could probably take a cool picture of it) and managed to get some weird sounds out of it -- beyond just weird sounds out of the trumpet, period.

Uh, yeah, you won't get any sounds out of it unless you had an extraordinarily large mouth/ lips. I'm guessing you don't. You can just about get a sound out of a clarinet with a brass embouchure and no mouthpiece, but it's unlikely with a sax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2011, 02:51 PM   #10
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
I'd get a mouthpiece and try it. Also with the mouthpiece you could then move on, throw the sax away, and put the mouthpiece on more complex instruments like cruches or watering cans.

get a mouthpiece its the cheapest part of the whole instrument.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2011, 02:52 PM   #11
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Uh, yeah, you won't get any sounds out of it unless you had an extraordinarily large mouth/ lips. I'm guessing you don't. You can just about get a sound out of a clarinet with a brass embouchure and no mouthpiece, but it's unlikely with a sax.

i play the clarinet

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
A Broken Sax sounds like something Jeff would fix in Earthbound, into something like the "Precision Beam".

I realize this does not help your predicament though, sorry.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2011, 03:51 PM   #13
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Attach the whole thing to some kind of airtight foot pumped bellows like device, holding it at chest height but pumping the air in using that. Actually, I might want to build that.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2011, 04:23 PM   #14
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
i think using the sax for percussion is a bad idea, you could get a different metal tube from the hardware store that's more durable and not ruin a instrument that's worth money

the part that screws on as in:

the metal part? the ligature? because you could get probably get one for
under $10
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2011, 04:47 PM   #15
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
that's a good idea. do you thinkI could still"play" it this way? I'd like to figure out a way I could still manipulate the sound in meaningful ways.

I don't know if it'll work but it's worth a try...and if it doesn't work...then you'll have a blow horn.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2011, 03:39 PM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
i think using the sax for percussion is a bad idea, you could get a different metal tube from the hardware store that's more durable and not ruin a instrument that's worth money

the part that screws on as in:

the metal part? the ligature? because you could get probably get one for
under $10

Hm, yeah, that's part of it, I tried to illustrate it in my picture, but I guess I'm talking about the entire top part like... about 7 inches of the sax is gone. Why don't I take a digital picture when I get a chance?

Thanks for all the ideas so far everyone!

Old 01.15.2011, 04:52 PM   #17
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
i see what you mean i think (the neck) and that wouldn't be a cheap fix,probably $60 for a totally shit one.

but if you got a replacement and made a whole sax you would probably be able to sell it, if it's a real brand and not unplayable/unfixable
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 12:40 PM   #18
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Scream in it, make some crazy freejazz!
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 12:48 PM   #19
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
buy the missing part(s) and learn to play the damn thing
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 01:52 PM   #20
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle
Scream in it, make some crazy freejazz!

always do, my friend

http://www.myspace.com/scissorshock

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth