Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Famous Dead Rockstars
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.01.2009, 01:49 PM   #21
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe Ian Curtis..?

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 01:51 PM   #22
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Peter "James" Bond, the third spinal tap drummer.
cliff burton.
the term indie music
richie valens
buddy holly
ian curtis
Old 07.01.2009, 01:51 PM   #23
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Bob Marley introduced not just America, but the ENTIRE WORLD, to Rastafari music and culture, particularly the concept of ONENESS and REVOLUTION to those masses who needed a voice to articulate their feelings of unity through struggle and the power of socio-cultural revolution. For this, we should ALL be grateful. How many artists do you know wrote the songs that became the anthems for national liberation movements like in the Caribbean or in particular in Zimbabwe ? Bob Marley preached this message all over the world. rich and poor folks and all those in between have enjoyed bob's music and also heard his message from South and Central America to the heart of Africa, Europe to China, all over the world "everybody loves bob marley everywhere I go its the same ol story, people of all nation they love the rastaman vibration"

In regards to reggae being not musically diverse, that is simply a person's conclusion based upon ignorance. If you listen to more reggae, you will find all the diversity which it possesses. There are so many different subtle variations to the guitar work, the chord structures, the melodies, even the simple ca-chank ca-chank skank is not one kind of pattern, but several varieties which good reggae musicians sync together. When you begin to play or seriously listen to reggae music with a musician's ear you will hear all these variations.. it is a truly original, and wide variety of music, much more so than it gets credit for.

and good point with Bob Marley on this thread, I didn't even think about him because his contributions in life were already so fucking great, I couldn't imagine what he could have done further.

I think that above all else, BOB MARLEY TAUGHT US TO BE OURSELVES, and TO LIVE FOR SOMETHING GREATER THAN OURSELVES!

no onto Jimi Hendrix who was my choice for this thread..

Jimi was not going out, jimi was coming up. If you listen to the studio recordings and live tunes that had yet to be released (approx 12-14 cuts)
tunes like Freedom, Coming in From the Storm, Astroman, Room Full of Mirrors, New Rising Sun.. shit these are the BEST hendrix tracks which were YET TO be released proving how much Jimi had left to do for us abd these were perhaps his FINEST, most diverse and best crafted tunes. Their lyrics were more cutting, more of a personal and socia commentary, and the music was more demanding, more experimental, more complex...

in other words, Jimi Hendrix was far from done when he passed away, and I feel that the things he could have brought to music would have been beyond revolutionary. His style is unmatched, and I think we most definitely lost him too soon..

of all the dead rock stars, Jimi died with the shortest career, but yet paradoxically it was one of the biggest and most relatively prolific, and I think that he didn't get HALF HIS chance to change the face of music and culture like he wanted too.. hendrix could have been the distorted guitar version of Michael Jackson had he lived a bit longer..

Hendrix taught us to ENJOY ourselves!

"I used to live in a room full of mirrors.. and all I could see was me.. than I take my spirit and I crash those mirrors, and now the whole world is there for me to see.."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 01:54 PM   #24
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
bang!
get up off the floor.... cuz there is no arguing that post!
Old 07.01.2009, 02:14 PM   #25
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
hendrix could have done something really fantastic. i mean, i'm hopin' he would have kept blowin' minds, and not sunk into some commercial blooze-rawk MOR/AOR mediocrity.

kurt probably had some great songs left in him. i don't know. he seemed like he really had come to the end of his life when he did, and he drew a lot of his intensity from that.

nico. ):

... i don't reckon that lennon and strummer would put out much in the way of interesting music, but i kinda wonder what it would be like having them around anyway. (john and yoko as way cute old people!)
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 02:17 PM   #26
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I'd say Jim Morrison, except everybody knows that he's not really dead.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 02:18 PM   #27
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
strummer was done making interesting music years before he died

so was lennon really, which is sad, but it is true.
any influence lennon would have had these last 29 years woudl have been political and social,. not musical.
Old 07.01.2009, 02:22 PM   #28
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Hendrix would have done amazing things. With "Band of Gypsies" he was already turning into the Fela Kuti of loud psychedeic guitar rock, and I really think his records would have only gotten more interesting.Another one that comes to mind is Kayce (can't remember his name really) somethin from Flying Canyon. He died a year after thier amazing debut self-titled full length. It's in my top ten records of the decade, with a great fuzzy and hypnotic electric guitar-laden folk music that recalled both accoustic and electric Neil Young simultaneously.Also, the dude from SPK died after a few awesome ep's and one lp. After they became a lame synth-dance band, insread of awesome dada-industrial post punk awesomeness.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 02:39 PM   #29
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Really? "Machine Gun" on Band of Gypsies is a totally awesome foray into heaviness in my book. Hendrix had set some rather high standards for himself to top, but given the time to do it, he might have invented whole new genres of music.

I was talking more about his First Rays of The New Rising Sun/Cry Of Love albums. Yes, Machine Gun is still astounding, and I know what you mean about high standards and new genres. I'm just saying when you listen to the last things he recorded before he died, its hard to say if he would have gone the jazz route,(he actually did play with Miles Davis on several occasions, but never got him to record because Miles wanted 50,000 for an hour), but probably more into the forays of jamming, which done with the proper musicians is great, but the majority of the jamming Hendrix managed to record sounds less than standard for him. He probably would have told Mike Jeffrey to fuck off, paid him a bunch of money and started doing things independently.

I guess a good example is Miles Davis. A musical superstar and genius but a lot of his fusion era records aren't that good, especially the shit he recorded in the 80's.
Shifty Prophet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 02:47 PM   #30
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Kurt Cobain
There were hints that Nico could have turned good again before she died, who knows?

Hah, yeah Nico kicked ass. Then her last two albums were a little, meh. I bet she could have turned it around if she hadn't died so soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly

haha, that's a good one.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 02:51 PM   #31
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe11121
Hah, yeah Nico kicked ass. Then her last two albums were a little, meh. I bet she could have turned it around if she hadn't died so soon.
yeah. drama of exile isn't so great, but camera obscura has its moments... if she kept working with cale, i'm sure she would have turned it around.
Old 07.01.2009, 02:52 PM   #32
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
yeah. drama of exile isn't so great, but camera obscura has its moments... if she kept working with cale, i'm sure she would have turned it around.

For sure
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 02:53 PM   #33
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Brian Jones might've potentially been an interesting one. Arguably among the most instinctively experimental of the big 60s figures (certainly more than any of the other Stones) he was hinting at an interest in electronic music quite early on, hanging out at the BBC radiophonic workshop, etc.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 02:56 PM   #34
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Brian Jones might've potentially been an interesting one. Arguably among the most instinctively experimental of the big 60s figures (certainly more than any of the other Stones) he was hinting at an interest in electronic music quite early on, hanging out at the BBC radiophonic workshop, etc.

I could see being a radical and experimental producer.
Shifty Prophet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 03:02 PM   #35
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

^ sounds excellent. shame he didn't get into more of that.
Old 07.01.2009, 03:10 PM   #36
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Nico is a good answer, I think. I mean, Scott Walker was kinda mediocre in the 80's as well (he only did one album, but still), but then did Tilt and The Drift much later, which are fucking amazing. I always imagined Nico could have made something of the same caliber if she lived longer and surrounded herself around the right people.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 04:38 PM   #37
Zombie Robot
expwy. to yr skull

Zombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly

Morrison, really? Drunken buffoon posing as a misunderstood poet, or no?
Zombie Robot is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 04:42 PM   #38
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
everyone gives Jim Morrison grief, but his songs are the best songs about death written in the rock n roll of the 60's.

and his poetry is not all bad, just very allusive and romantic, like Baudelaire (sp?)
not my thing to read but singing the shit makes me feel amazing.

I'll tell you this...
No eternal reward will forgive us now For wasting the dawn.
Back in those days everything was simpler and more confused
One summer night, going to the pier I ran into two young girls
The blonde one was called Freedom The dark one, Enterprise
We talked and they told me this story
Now listen to this...
I'll tell you about Texas radio and the big beat
Soft driven, slow and mad
Like some new language
Reaching your head with the cold, sudden fury of a divine messenger
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars
Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Old 07.01.2009, 07:31 PM   #39
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses

Curtis Mayfield

Kurt Cobain

Nick Drake

Michael Hutchence

and Elvis Presley ......each an influence on their own genre.
FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 01:20 AM   #40
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
everyone gives Jim Morrison grief, but his songs are the best songs about death written in the rock n roll of the 60's.

and his poetry is not all bad, just very allusive and romantic, like Baudelaire (sp?)
not my thing to read but singing the shit makes me feel amazing.

I'll tell you this...
No eternal reward will forgive us now For wasting the dawn.
Back in those days everything was simpler and more confused
One summer night, going to the pier I ran into two young girls
The blonde one was called Freedom The dark one, Enterprise
We talked and they told me this story
Now listen to this...
I'll tell you about Texas radio and the big beat
Soft driven, slow and mad
Like some new language
Reaching your head with the cold, sudden fury of a divine messenger
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars