Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Portable Vape recommendations?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.20.2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I rock an SSV at home ( http://silversurfervap.com/index.php ), but the wife and I are looking for a portable vape that works with dry herbs, not the nicotine oil/hash oil kind. It is hard to find decent reviews on this stuff.

Knowing how many Youth-heads partake, I was curious if there are any recommendations for portable vapes?

Of course this is solely to be used for aromatherapy....
Old 11.20.2013, 12:42 PM   #2
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
not sure about those. Only recently heard of dry herb vapes. So I'm honestly saving up for a pax or hopefully one of those cool space pens I recently posted. They're only 100 bucks....ssss

other than that. still rockin' the glass bowl(my friend's who doesn't partake anymore) and bong. :P.

If I'm on the go. I got a little glass blunt for one hits.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2013, 10:29 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

Don't be scared, as long as you don't smoke a lot of joints vaping is unnecessary, the herbs plant doesn't possess any naturally occurring carcinogens, unlike that nefarious tobacco plant which raw from the earth
has dozens.. In ther words, you can burn it fine, though one day I plan to move on to drinking teas, which are of course the sure fire 100% carcinogenic free approach. In regards to vaping, I don't think there are very many good "dry" vaporizers in the truest sense, they all run hot enough to slightly burn. Further, fuck g-pens and all this "wax" its lame, its dangerous, you don't even know whats in that shit! Hash oil used to be rare for a reason, I've always been suspicious. Also with vaping, buring is better because a true vaporizer doesn't vaporize all the essential oils and flavors within the plant, which is why it doesn't taste the same. When you burn with a 700-1200 degree flame, you vaporize ALL the chemicals in the plant, including the dozen or so responsible for flavor and smell
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost

If I'm on the go. I got a little glass blunt for one hits.

Its called a chillum and the glass versions I think are the most
delightful combining of Indian (from India) and American culture.
In Rastafari clay and wood chillums are heartical smoking pieces,
especially when combined with a water jar or hollowed out coconut
to form a chalice, the penultimate way to burn.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2013, 12:56 AM   #4
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Nah...this bit exactly a chillum, it's a bit smaller.
Old 11.21.2013, 09:13 AM   #5
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
The thing I prefer about vapes is that there is no p[articulate matter which enters your lungs. Using the SSV I noticed a drastic change, like when I quit smoking cigarrettes.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn....jpg?1324577694

No coughing, no foul smell. portable as fuck. my wife and I take it to the nicest hotels on vacation and enjoy and there is no need to hide in the bathroom with a towel shoved under the door. Plus, a little goes a LONG way.
Old 11.21.2013, 09:20 AM   #6
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
In ther words, you can burn it fine, though one day I plan to move on to drinking teas, which are of course the sure fire 100% carcinogenic free approach..

tell us more about the drinkable teas!
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

ATS: Marijuana Smoking Found Non-Carcinogenic

http://www.medpagetoday.com/hematolo..._campaign=onco
Old 11.21.2013, 12:05 PM   #8
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
The thing I prefer about vapes is that there is no p[articulate matter which enters your lungs. Using the SSV I noticed a drastic change, like when I quit smoking cigarrettes.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn....jpg?1324577694

No coughing, no foul smell. portable as fuck. my wife and I take it to the nicest hotels on vacation and enjoy and there is no need to hide in the bathroom with a towel shoved under the door. Plus, a little goes a LONG way.

Maybe I need to try it more, but my friend has a volcano and sometimes I'd rather just use glass...
Old 11.21.2013, 12:11 PM   #9
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
tell us more about the drinkable teas!

Its how folks in South Asia consume it. My homiez mom and her friends from Vietnam back when I was in school used to get together two nights a week and drink tea all night getting baked. She would always sneak me home a nug after words cuz she knew I toked it..
Quote:
Maybe I need to try it more, but my friend has a volcano and sometimes I'd rather just use glass...

That is because the volcano sucks yo! Its for toking shake or trim. Actually, believe it or not, its for cooking dinner!!
http://www.storz-bickel.com/vaporize...n-cooking.html
http://www.molecularrecipes.com/mole...romatic-vapor/

Quote:

That is not true, the chemicals in the plant are particles, and when the "vapors" cool and condense they will form "tars" (e.g. resin) in the throat and bronchial tubes. There is no difference between "vapor" and "smoke" scientifically speaking, they are the same thing, sublimated particles from solid to a gas. In smoke, not ALL of the particles have completely vaporized so the vapors are muddied by ash and soot. In "vapor" from vaporizers the temperature is only hot enough to vaporize water, THC, and several other chemicals from the plant material, but not enough to burn it all. So the "vapors" are the same as whats in the "smoke", but the "smoke" has more particles. The question is never is tar harmful or not, the question is what chemicals are found in the tar? With tobacco smoke, there are dozens of carcinogens, including radioactive isotopes, which cause cancer. None of these are found in herbs, the only carcinogens found in herb smoke are a very small amount of hydrocarbons from burning the plant fibers. These are negligible unless you smoke a huge volume. One of the things that makes cigarette smoking so toxic is the volume, smokers smoke between 5-50 cigarettes a day, which is between 7-75 grams of tobacco. Simply put, a person would pass out long before they could consume that much greens! Its like a natural safety valve. You are statistically more likely to get cancer from living in an apartment or working at a warehouse than from consuming herb smoke.

Quote:

To each their own, but ini prefer the more natural approach, fire is a crucial element, when consuming herb in chalice you comine all the forces, earth, breath, fire, and water. It is what makes for a mystical combination. When your vaping, its like smoking in the Fifth Element, something too different for me. Again, too me its impart a matter of taste.

Old 11.21.2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

It's a different high. a lot of the intiial "buzz' that smoking weed gives when lit in traditional ways (pipe, bong, rolled) is because of aphasia, or the lack of oxygen in your lungs while you smoke weed. Vape, if done right (not too hot) releases water vapor, and the cannabinoids as vapor, not as smoke. smoke is particulate. vapor is molecular. big size difference. particulates clog your lungs and irritate your throat.

I find after 3-4 drags off the SSV vape I am cool for several hours, and clear headed, and not sleepy at all.

The volcano is amazing, but it is more of a pain in the ass to use, even though the temp is optimal. It is also quite expensive.
Old 11.21.2013, 12:20 PM   #11
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

HOw is water brought into your naturalistic formula.
Old 11.21.2013, 12:23 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
HOw is water brought into your naturalistic formula.

Either through the bong or a chalice, though in truth, there is water in your mouth/throat/lungs so the smoke still mixes. Smoking was considered a mystical experience in the pre-Columbian Americas, and before the 16th century, nobody in the old world ever smoked ANYTHING. Smoking is mystical because the act combines all four forces, through burning (fire), water filtration (water), inhalation (breath/wind), and earth (the plant material as well as clay/wood/glass from the toking utensil)..

Rastafari use the chalice, its classic, but again, even your very breath contains high volumes of water content, so water is always there.

Quote:
It's a different high. a lot of the intiial "buzz' that smoking weed gives when lit in traditional ways (pipe, bong, rolled) is because of aphasia, or the lack of oxygen in your lungs while you smoke weed.

Actually the opposite is totally true. Within 35 seconds the effect of THC on the lungs is immediate bronchial dilation. This is why ingesting THC through edibles is a treatment for asthma and emphysema. Within seven minutes there is almost a two-fold increase in oxygen absorption into the blood stream, and this is a large part of the over-all "high". Its also why ingesting pure oxygen for 10-20 minutes induces a comparible euphoria. The strong "body high" is often just simple dehydration by the way.

Quote:
Vape, if done right (not too hot) releases water vapor, and the cannabinoids as vapor, not as smoke. smoke is particulate.

Vapor and smoke, molecularly speaking, are the same thing. Again, the quetion is of content. THC and a hundred other chemicals from within the plant sublimate and then condense when cooled, forming tars/resins in the lungs and throat. Its unavoidable, indeeds, its how you ingest THC in the first place!!
Quote:
vapor is molecular.

The vapor cools almost instantly in the lungs and condenses to a solid.

Quote:

I find after 3-4 drags off the SSV vape I am cool for several hours, and clear headed, and not sleepy at all.

Interestingly, some folks have asserted that vaporizing is more potent, but there isn't any math to support this, because simply put, if a solid THC boils at 476 degrees, then when you burn it at 700-1200 degrees you inherently vaporize all of the THC within the smoke content. Perhaps some people aren't as skilled at inhaling the rougher smoke and can better handle the cooler and non-sooty "vapors" but when you "smoke" its the same thing as when you "vape" THC and the other 11 psychoactive cannabinoids speaking..

Old 11.21.2013, 02:05 PM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Old 11.21.2013, 02:10 PM   #14
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

vapor is a substance in a gaseous state, and can be condensed into liquid or solid through pressure or temperature.

smoke is a particulate, solids and liquids, being held aloft by the air vapor. Two different things man.

when you vape properly, you are inhaling vapors only. water vapor, cannabinoids, etc.

when you smoke by burning or a heating element, you are inhaling tiny pieces ( which while small are way way bigger than the pieces that constitute a vapor) and which contain carbon, soot, tar, and a shitton of carcinogens. burning weed actually destroys some of the THC that you would otherwise enjoy. and through the heat actually creates more chemicals and carcinogens.

vapes do not do that.
Old 11.21.2013, 02:12 PM   #15
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

In a 2001 study,[18] researchers found that "it is possible to vaporize medically active THC by heating marijuana to a temperature short of the point of combustion, thereby eliminating or substantially reducing harmful smoke toxins that are normally present in marijuana smoke." The unit produced THC at a temperature of 185 °C (365 °F), while eliminating three measured combustion products, benzene, toluene and naphthalene. Carbon monoxide and smoke tars were also reduced, but not quantified.
Old 11.21.2013, 02:33 PM   #16
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

y'all motherfuckers is gettin' too science on me n shit.
Old 11.21.2013, 02:52 PM   #17
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
smoke is a particulate, solids and liquids, being held aloft by the air vapor. Two different things man.

You forget that smoke contains vapor

Quote:

when you smoke by burning or a heating element, you are inhaling tiny pieces ( which while small are way way bigger than the pieces that constitute a vapor)

That is not entirely accurate, the psychoactive molecules also exist as particles, and condense back to such when cooled from their vapor state in the lungs. The lungs then absorb these psychoactive tars and sends them into the blood stream. The difference again between smoke and vapor is the content, not the structure. Smoke IS vapor, but its muddied by more sooty particles.
Quote:

vapes do not do that.

While they don't have hydrocarbons, if you "vaped" tobacco smoke, it would be just about as carcinogenic as smoking it, because again, tobacco contains dozens of naturally occuring carinogenic and even radioactive substances, all of which vaporize into the smoke and are inhaled. What makes it "smoke" is the amount of soot and ash blended with the water vapors (water vapors are the "white" of the smoke, in other words, steam).

Quote:
In a 2001 study,[18] researchers found that "it is possible to vaporize medically active THC by heating marijuana to a temperature short of the point of combustion, thereby eliminating or substantially reducing harmful smoke toxins that are normally present in marijuana smoke." The unit produced THC at a temperature of 185 °C (365 °F), while eliminating three measured combustion products, benzene, toluene and naphthalene. Carbon monoxide and smoke tars were also reduced, but not quantified.

Yes, those handful of hydrocarons are the only measurable carcinogens in herbs smoke, however, the question is not their pressence, but their over all concentration. These hydrocarbons in most "joints" let alone just bowls in glass are negligible in their numbers, safer than breathing the air outside in most cities and even in most houses

Old 11.21.2013, 03:12 PM   #18
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

ahhh but that brown goddess tobbacco is so delicious........

I only smoke cigars now. I was a heavy smoker for ten years (pack and a half-2 packs a day) but quit around age 28
Old 11.21.2013, 03:12 PM   #19
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Now I have 2-3 cigars a month
Old 11.21.2013, 03:19 PM   #20
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Now I have 2-3 cigars a month

That is ok, but all things considering, since you smoked for years daily really only several years of total tobacco abstinence will help heal the damage, and really, if that. The problem with the particularities of the carcinogens in tobacco smoke, especially the radioactive isotopes such as lead-210 and polonium-210, are that these can cause permanent genetic damage to cells. So the cancer becomes irreversable, the damage is done. I also used to smoke cigars after I finally quit smoking cigarettes, but after a few short years of that routine, I realized that while I still absolutely loved tobacco, even just a few cigars was still going to inevitably kill me.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth