Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sy Nyc Wtc October 7 2oo1
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.11.2011, 10:03 AM   #1
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
I remember running into Steve "Hot Beats" Shelley on a Hoboken bus. He was probably headed to rock and I was returning with my girlfriend at the time from handing back a rental car. (the car was a monster sedan that made we feel small yet safe, a pea in a pod) We were coming from a trip to Niagra Falls, Toronto and now back to Manhattan, to home. Hi's and How are you's were exchanged and news of this benefit gig was passed on to us. On the day of the release I headed to Mercury Lounge and gobbled up 4 tickets to the show.

Upon entering the Bowery Ballroom we grabbed a table in the balcony Lee side and watched the openers come and go. Vodka and soda? Tom Verlaine stood out and looked gaunt. Maybe that helped him play so hungry we wondered...or I did, to myself. Cat Power impressed me too. I'd only heard accounts on how scattered Chan could be but I witnessed none of that. She was strong/fragile and her voice haunted soul. You think Willie Dixon would like her? I do.

Sonic came on and it seemed rude to stay all lofty up in the balcony when they had put such a welcome event on for us. I mean Manhattan was bleak that season. Smoke was still pouring out from down downtown. Going to work on Leonard Street sucked. War was soon and here's this Sonic show out of the blue. It was welcomed and I wanted it to last. Our party went on down to the floor and listened to Thurston's intro. Its introspective. Its a state of thought, meandering and from the hearts mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhFWFVbNMSo

New art is the best art? Maybe, its nice to see things come and grow and become final and the first half of this gig was all new. RAIN ON TIN/CELTIC FROST sounded the most developed with lyrics, thick orchestration and beauty? yeah, beauty.

I didn't attend any church gatherings in the aftermath and the giant Union Square vigil candle wax collective seemed so congested. Music can be meditative and freeing. This gig was that for me. Hadn't really thought about that till today.

9/11/11
simon

10/07/01 - NYC, NY @ Bowery Ballroom

Date: Sunday, October 7th, 2001
City: New York City, New York, USA
Venue: Bowery Ballroom
SET LIST

Sympathy for the Strawberry
Disconnection Notice
Rain on Tin
Karen Revisited
The Empty Page
NYC Ghosts & Flowers
--
Schizophrenia
White Kross
Drunken Butterfly
--
Brother James
Burning Spear

silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2011, 04:15 PM   #2
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
great read

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2011, 04:03 PM   #3
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
looks like the perfect setlist
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth