Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The New and Improved Classical Music Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.11.2010, 05:21 PM   #141
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
http://depositfiles.com/en/files/zp29qi8ll

This is Lachenmann's Gran Torso quartet available for download. The guy has also included the score. It's a genuinely amazing score, even if you don't read music it's worth looking at. I'm thinking of putting together a load of these sorts of scores that are aesthetically pleasing for a mate's amusement, may upload it here when I do so.

From this blog which has a lot of similar stuff (music + score). Well worth a gander, plus Chrome's translator seems to not be doing too bad a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2010, 09:28 AM   #142
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziQjykdLDVU

AMAZING.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 08.13.2010, 09:33 AM   #143
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
would this be the right place to post Hans Zimmers Mombasa Live Performance (from the inception preimiere)?
cause the thread Ive opened for it, clearly failed to attract to anyone.

anyways:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0r0aDfW2UM

I am still stunned by it

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2010, 10:02 AM   #144
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

class! I love tuned percussion, my eyes were opened to it for the first time watching 'young musicians of the year' one time, amazing stuff.

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0r0aDfW2UM

I am still stunned by it

Is that noel gallagher on guitar? haha
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2010, 10:18 AM   #145
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
hahaha no its johnny marr (the smiths)
I am glad that the collabo didnt turn out be the same old rock meets orchestra shit

Old 08.13.2010, 10:33 AM   #146
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbray2.0
hahaha no its johnny marr (the smiths)
I am glad that the collabo didnt turn out be the same old rock meets orchestra shit

It is pretty dire though - it all sounds like a massive synthesiser. Which would be interesting, if it weren't bog-standard 'dramatic' film music. [/bitch mood]

Quote:
Old 08.13.2010, 10:42 AM   #147
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

I totally get what you mean. and for me it could be even more sythesizer, haha
but what I really dig about the tune are the chord progressions. it moves me in a way I havent been moved in a long time. even if that sounds ridiculous
it sounds like you will have the fight of your life. I dont wanna hot the spot with german composers and how they sound "dramatic" hrhrhr

Old 08.13.2010, 10:44 AM   #148
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
It is pretty dire though - it all sounds like a massive synthesiser. Which would be interesting, if it weren't bog-standard 'dramatic' film music. [/bitch mood]

It's a really good soundtrack but I wouldn't say it stands up particularly well as a piece of music in its own right. When fused with the visuals of Inception it works really well; providing another layer of impact to what's going on on-screen. I can listen to it without the film because I've already had that fusion imprinted in my mind from when I did watch it. I'm not sure what I'd think about it otherwise, though.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2010, 10:48 AM   #149
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
what I really dig about the tune are the chord progressions. it touches me in a way I havent been touched in a long time. even if that sounds ridiculous

There's a chord progression in there which is really amazing, and it always reminds me of (without being the same as) one that John Carpenter used in his soundtrack to Halloween. Not the main 'riff' but the chords played behind it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWTD-nXadaI
Old 08.13.2010, 11:01 AM   #150
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

^^thanks for that link.
its funny cause somehow mombasa really reminded me of some carpenter work. but I couldnt nail it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
It's a really good soundtrack but I wouldn't say it stands up particularly well as a piece of music in its own right. When fused with the visuals of Inception it works really well; providing another layer of impact to what's going on on-screen. I can listen to it without the film because I've already had that fusion imprinted in my mind from when I did watch it. I'm not sure what I'd think about it otherwise, though.

Ive asked myself too regarding this. and I came to the conclusion that mombasa is the only one that works without the movie in mind. like I mentioned in the mombasa thread before, the chord progression where dicaprio is running away, has stolen me attention for a few seconds from the movie, while being in the cinema.

Ive read some articles where they compare inception//the OST as the next Blade Runner.
and thats where I disagree. Inception was more succesful on Day one then BR in its whole lifespan I think. also the OST doesnt stand against Vangelis beautiful (pioneering) work at the beginning of the 80ies, imo.

Old 08.13.2010, 11:32 AM   #151
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I can see why people are comparing it with BR but I agree, they're very different, largely because Zimmer is a very different composer than Vangelis. The chord progression in Mombassa is awesome, I totally agree, but it definitely suggests some kind of visual in a way that Vangelis' stuff (whether OSTs or otherwise) often don't. In that sense, I think Zimmer creates the better soundtracks while Vangelis is perhaps the better all-round composer.
Old 08.13.2010, 11:45 AM   #152
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

yeah I can see the parallels too. zimmer "quoted" the BR signature Bras/Synth sound on at least one tune. and the overall feel is in general pretty laid back. the work I know from zimmer is overall way more percussion, and I agree thats one of the reasons why he is such a good visual composer, cause he is really good at creating tension with that.

all in all I couldnt agree more on your post

Old 08.13.2010, 12:22 PM   #153
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I think my favourite Vangelis soundtrack is Chariots of Fire, especially the piece he composed for this scene. It's very simple and only comes in about half-way through, but it perfectly compliments the visuals, while at the same time somehow capturing the religious motivations of the character it's soundtracking. Brilliant!

full track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2un1I162dw

My favourite non-OST Vangelis piece is this though, at least from about a minute in. I remember hearing it as the sun came up during a rave, E'd off my face. One of the greatest musical moments of my entire life.
Old 08.13.2010, 12:51 PM   #154
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

oh yes, china is brilliant in its whole.
I wish I could have experienced it when it was released. must have been mind bending.

I know the OST to chariots of fire, but I never saw the movie. its high on my list to do so in the near future, even if its just to see the OST in action.

damn I am totally hooked on chung kuo, for now.
the main theme is DANG!

Old 08.13.2010, 01:17 PM   #155
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, you can't argue with Chung Kuo. I heard it at that rave quite a bit after it first came out but it was the first time I'd actually heard it. Either way, brilliant.

You really should see CoF. It get's a bit of stick from a lot of people but parts of it just blow me away and the overall fusion of sound and image that runs throughout it, really is quite amazing.
Old 08.14.2010, 03:29 AM   #156
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

yes I will do. Ive seen the intro on youtube at the very moment featuring THE chariots of Fire song and it looked and sounded perfect. when the film goes this way I will definately enjoy it.

I found a onine copy of antarctica, looking forward to see it on a train ride hopefully today

Old 01.10.2011, 06:30 AM   #157
Glice
invito al cielo

If I ever get my copy back from my ex-housemate, I'll up it for you.

Luca Franscesconi, a young Italian composer, is doing it for me at the moment. He's a bit post-Nono but not entirely dry. Good times.

Quote:
Old 01.10.2011, 06:58 AM   #158
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I love some Russian composers. Mussorgsky is my favorite, but I like also lot Rimsky-Korsakov and Tschaikovsky. Of course Finnish Sibelius is great. About the other classical composers I listen Beethoven (third and ninth symphony is just great) and Brahms. I have few other classical works as Vivaldi´s Four seasons, some Mozart and some Shubert. Holst Planets are just great, but does it belongs into new art music?
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2011, 08:17 AM   #159
Glice
invito al cielo

Holst's planets if much more in the grand symphonic/ tone poem tradition of late romantic, I'd say (if there is a distinction to be made). He's certainly not the measure of R Strauss. I got his Electra recently, fucking phenomenal work that is.

Quote:
Old 01.10.2011, 04:30 PM   #160
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
I'm absolutely obsessed with Schnittke's fourth violin concerto right now. Specifically the Kremer recording on Elektra. Absolutely unbelievably good. The Russians are indeed fucking badass.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth