Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Torturing Nurse and the Chinese underground
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.05.2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
So I was browsing on the internets and recently the great Diamanda Galas had this to say regarding this article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musi...d-noi-shanghai

This is NOT alternative MUSIC. The performance of this work
in China may be alternative to ANY future work for these brothers. People do not live to be bought and sold. And the black flags of every boat that sails may be beating just to move through the wind and water of the sea most loved.

Not to come to AMERICA!!

Diamanda Galas
Alternative music HATER

Love her, but I'm not sure what she's getting at here, other than maybe some annoyance at her name being dropped with people in the article she doesn't think highly of. BUT, it got me wondering, even if you think TN are aesthetically crappy/not "music," might their performances/noise music resonate differently in the context of China's growing power? If this performance was taking place in the US, should one be using the same set of standards to evaluate its merits?
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I think she's saying that theirs is a political action - while noise artists in the West might get the odd punch thrown, or some police action from anti-socialness, these guys are pretty much putting their lives on the line. It's not the dilettantish action of the mastubatory distortion pedal-twiddler making 'music', but a political action with very real consequences for those making it, and listening to it within China.

Theirs is a different order of social resistance, more volatile than the average noise group. They're not playing the game of 'Oh, I hope I can get to play the knitting factory' - I assume that's what the 'not to come to America' statement means.

Can you link to where Diamanda says this? I'm going on a non-context and a fragment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if she's decrying alternative music in general - she's long been criticising the cosy, say-nothingism and cod-political rhetoric of 'alternative' music. Quite rightly, to my mind.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 05.05.2010, 03:29 PM   #4
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Awesome article. I'm not familiar with this group but am certainly interested in checking out more and would really like to see what else, if anything, Diamanda Galas had to say.
Old 05.05.2010, 04:16 PM   #5
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
This is NOT alternative MUSIC. The performance of this work
in China may be alternative to ANY future work for these brothers. People do not live to be bought and sold. And the black flags of every boat that sails may be beating just to move through the wind and water of the sea most loved.

this doesn't mean anything.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2010, 04:18 PM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Not like a good old conspiracy, eh?

Quote:
Old 05.07.2010, 09:05 AM   #7
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
She mentioned this on her facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Diaman...19418238086371
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2010, 06:46 AM   #8
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
"...this one-man whirlwind wasn't impressed. "I don't like him or his band. They are too rock'n'roll. I don't care if he's a fan. What we do is totally different,"

Sounds like some of the board members here...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth