Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Hole - Nobody's daughter
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.12.2010, 01:03 PM   #1
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
yes?
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 01:07 PM   #2
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
oh god, no. no.

when i saw her live in february i thought this could be ok.

no no cringe no.

its better than nothing tho.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 01:19 PM   #3
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
its better than nothing tho.

maybe silence is better in this situation.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 01:55 PM   #4
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
It's ... bad. At first I was slightly pleasantly surprised, but then I thought about it and realized just how wrong it was in every way. I mean, production-wise alone it's a fucking awful joke. I just can't describe how BAD the production is. Sometimes I find it hard to understand why Beinhorn has been working so long in the industry when he has this knack of either covering gold in shit or covering shit it gold, but then I realize that it's because the majority of people either don't care or enjoy this production when it's coming out of their radios. Well, they did in 1998. 12 years later I think it sounds fucking dated as hell. Celebrity Skin sounds fucking dated, so why is she using the same production techniques?

The songs themselves are better than Celebrity Skin because it seems like she's actually trying to confront the problems in her life instead of doing what she was doing before, but the lyrics are just as awkward and lazy, if not moreso.

I think with better production and less overworking with eighty billion producers and musicians, this could have been pretty good. The first song, the last song, and most of them, really, have potential that wasn't realized.

But my biggest problem with it is this intangible thing that's hard to describe. Something about it is so anti-rock music. And that's what Courtney was supposed to be good at. The same problem is on every America's Sweetheart song except for "Life Despite God". No soul, I guess? It's obvious that she's more concerned about making a name for herself and getting back into the papers and proving herself to her former bandmates than she is about making music that people actually want to listen to. The best way to really comprehend this is to read or listen to any interview with her. All she talks about is inane celebrity gossip and personal drama, and most of it is either boring, old, or totally unrelated to the content of the album.

She's more concerned about making albums that will sell well and will be reviewed well in the time they are released than just making a fucking album. A good one. And it's definitely not better than nothing. 2 of Hole's albums were really good. It's better to have a spot on 100% discography like the stooges than a discography like Black Sabbath or some shit. Let it die already and come back when you actually have some thing to say, Courtney.
Old 05.12.2010, 02:01 PM   #5
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
The lyrics are lazy, the songs are lazy, production is lazy.
celebrity skin is contrived, but songs are still much better.

eric must be really pissed off ( i would be)

the bandmates are ridiculous, wearing a beret probablt didn't even listen to hole back in the day. none of them are talented.

i suppose ur right.

but i meant that, for her, its probably better doing this than nothing at all (keeping busy)

Old 05.12.2010, 02:24 PM   #6
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
no, no, a resounding no.
i saw her live like 2 weeks ago.....it was bad

the record is shit.

'dated' is right
Satan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 03:16 PM   #7
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

Yeah, the "bandmates" are ridiculous as hell, thanks for reminding me. It's like she was trying to get the 2nd-best Guns N Roses imitation to play for her or something. These people are beyond faceless, even compared to the other Hole lineups. And I think that's the point. The music mags don't even bother to pretend to interview Hole as a band anymore, it's always Courtney alone.

Compared to, say, Melissa, who probably stole the show a few times, and even Eric, who was quiet but thoughtful and insightful when he did speak, these people are ill-fitting to say the least, and absolutely absurd on so many levels. Like, what the hell is this Micko guy doing in her band? He's about 18, drugged out of his mind every show, a total hair metal cheeseball wearing a top hat in 2010, etc. Why is he in the fucking band? Why did he choose to be? Why did she choose him? Well, I know the answer to that one, it's like she's subconsciously trying to turn into Axl Rose. Listen to "Sunset Strip" and tell me I'm wrong.

They more I think about it, the sadder it is. That band had so much wasted potential. They could've been better than Nirvana but she was trying too hard to make them into Nirvana.
Old 05.12.2010, 03:54 PM   #8
knox
invito al cielo

this just shows eric was a good songwriter and all.

why axl rose? didn't he insult her etc etc etc and it was a big mess? unless she's trying to be a better axl rose than axl rose.

but i think it started out with stevie nicks, the songs were much more bearable acoustic then there's the sunny rock california thing and oh god.

when i saw them live in february i thought this album could be much better.

and why the hell? the cover of the album is part of the artwork in 'my body, the hand grenade'.

Old 05.12.2010, 04:00 PM   #9
Better_Than_Deux
children of satan

Better_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's asses
hole is coming to mpls and i can't wait to do something else that day.

Better_Than_Deux is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 05:32 PM   #10
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemusic
Like, what the hell is this Micko guy doing in her band? He's about 18, drugged out of his mind every show,

you answered your own question. He's easily controlled.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 08:02 PM   #11
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

Quote:
this just shows eric was a good songwriter and all.

why axl rose? didn't he insult her etc etc etc and it was a big mess? unless she's trying to be a better axl rose than axl rose.

but i think it started out with stevie nicks, the songs were much more bearable acoustic then there's the sunny rock california thing and oh god.

when i saw them live in february i thought this album could be much better.

and why the hell? the cover of the album is part of the artwork in 'my body, the hand grenade'.

Even so, the best part of the album IS the cover art.
Old 05.12.2010, 09:09 PM   #12
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

yeah i noticed that too, it looks like some hole-tard made it in photoshop
Satan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2010, 06:14 AM   #13
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
i read in a review that theres a track on it called pacific coast highway (with billy corgan)
is that a cover of the sy song?

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2010, 06:23 AM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I wish Hole would fall in a hole.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2010, 06:24 AM   #15
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific...way_%28song%29

the internetz sez no, Bal!
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2010, 07:54 AM   #16
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
oh. thanks
i didnt know it was a single.
i'd thought it was actually a cover of the sy song, cause i know Courtney used to be a big sister fan (i saw an interview with her in her home, and in the background there was a huuuge sister poster) .. but she probably hates sy now..

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2010, 08:15 AM   #17
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
She's too drugged up to know who she hates.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2010, 11:36 AM   #18
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal
i read in a review that theres a track on it called pacific coast highway (with billy corgan)
is that a cover of the sy song?

This is a perfect example of how idiotic and ignorant the music press is. Fuck 'em

Anyway, yeah Courtney was a huge SY fan at one point. Didn't you ever listen to their early music? That's what got me into SY
Old 05.13.2010, 07:48 PM   #19
knox
invito al cielo

yes pretty on the inside is pretty good.
i wish there was more of that.

Old 05.13.2010, 08:24 PM   #20
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
there is 2 references to band member hats within this thread
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth