Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page ONE album that changed music for you
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.19.2006, 06:48 PM   #61
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Ok Computer. Obvious but true.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 07:23 PM   #62
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
shit... this is a tough one...
i cant just pick ONE, so ill do 5

skid row - skid row
i was like 3 when i first heard it
on my 4th birthday my uncle bought me the tape
its because of skid row that i listen to hard rock
i was a marilyn manson/white zombie/slayer/nin fan by 3rd grade

grateful dead - grateful dead (1967)
i was at a rave and i had taken acid for the first time
i was having a very bad trip so my friend took me to the chill room
the dj in the chill room was playing some massive attack but i couldnt handle it
i needed something else
i sat on a beanbag cause i felt super shitty
my friend went to her car and grabbed her discman
she put the headphones on my ears
skipped to track 7 (morning dew)
and i just closed my eyes and drifted away.
i listened to this song on repeat my enitre trip, by the way.
the dead saved my life (har har)
after the experience i started listening to a lot of psychedelic music
(and SOME jam bands)

beck - mellow gold
when i was a kid i was into heavy music, if it wasnt heavy it sucked.
when my sister bought me this album (summer between 5th and 6th grade)
it really fuckin spun my world around
i realized there was so much awesome/amazing music out there outside of the "heavy" world

bob dylan - blonde on blonde
shit man, if it wasnt for dylan... i dont know
he is a fucking genius
he is revolutionary

ween - god ween satan
so during my psychedelic phase i met this girl who was really into this band called "Ween"
we were trippin balls and she busted on "GOD WEEN SATAN"
i could not stop laughing
especially during IM IN THE MOOD TO MOVE cause all i could picture was this cartoonish Satan with a guitar in a cartoon hell with psychedelic colors
and amps
and he had a band of demons (a bassist, a drummer, and another guitarist)
i remember closing my eyes during this song and just getting this image
and the camera would zoom in and zoom out and tilt to the sides
it was so fucking cheezy hahahaha
i am now obsessed with ween and a lot of "funny" bands
they are so fucking creative and awesome.
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 07:28 PM   #63
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

Anngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
Nevermind
And Dirty.

http://slouchingsunflowers.tumblr.com/
Anngella is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 07:29 PM   #64
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
skid row - skid row
i was like 3 when i first heard it
on my 4th birthday my uncle bought me the tape
its because of skid row that i listen to hard rock
i was a marilyn manson/white zombie/slayer/nin fan by 3rd grade

My signature approves.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 07:54 PM   #65
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
hahaha
rock on
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 08:10 PM   #66
Asim
little trouble girl

Asim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to all
OK Computer (age 10). I didn't interpret the music very well at that age, but it's really awesome to have listened to such a great album at a young age. At that age, I might have listened to some pop songs on the radio, but I remember particularly liking Paranoid Android and Karma Police and No Surprises more than anything. It was played a lot in my house at the time.
Asim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 08:17 PM   #67
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Brad Mehldau does Paranoid Android much better than Radiohead ever did in their wildest dreams.

& a recent torrent from Jazz Baltica of solo piano from earlier this month is the best version I've ever heard & it stuns me every time.

To be fair, Brad is inspired by them though & that's a very high compliment.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 08:55 PM   #68
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Daydream Nation-opened my eyes
Loveless-changed what music could be for me
Old 07.20.2006, 03:05 AM   #69
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
I'm going to rule myself out of the beautifully generous prize by not choosing an LP, as it wasn't an LP that changed things for me. I'm going to choose a freebie 7". Those of you who actually bother reading my missives wil have read this before, whilst those of you who very wisely skip the nonsense I spout won't be reading anyway. So I guess I'm typing this for precisely zero people.

When I was 14, a magazine came out called The Hit. THe best description is to say it was a more mature Smash Hits. Free with the first issue was a 7" disc, featuring The Redskins, Simply Red, Style Council and a new band called The Jesus and MAry Chain. The other tracks are nothing special, but Taste of Cindy grabbed my attention, first time by being 1 minute 35 seconds unlistenable noise, but on second listen by being the most original and invigorating thing I'd heard. At that time (1985) I'd heard nothing else even remotely comparable in terms of just being different. It's still one of my top listens (slightly different to the LP version), and it was that track that was my musical epiphany; I tirelessly sought out sounds that were new, discovering two very important things, namely John Peel's radio show and Probe Records in Liverpool (still there, and still wonderful). Thus The Fall, Sonic Youth and much more came within my aesthetic grasp.

(The Hit really was rather good, as I recall. Apart from the music Andy Parsons (now quite a famous writer, I believe) wrote a good column at the back that discussed serious non-musical matters. The whole thing impressed me, but it didn't last for too long.)
Excellent choice.I have that.I'll rep you for it but don't get too big headed.
Psychocandy changed everything for me.But before that,it was watching the video to 'Never Understand' on Music Box.Previously i was a Tears for Fears fan,mind.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 03:36 AM   #70
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
Brad Mehldau does Paranoid Android much better than Radiohead ever did in their wildest dreams.
He he.....we'll see. I'll take Radiohead even though the Brad Mehldau is pretty tight too. That song/album blew me away and I've loved them since Creep was a Buzzclip. Just at the right time/age for me.....always love it.
Old 07.20.2006, 03:44 AM   #71
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
OK Computer was the first Radiohead CD I got, and I thought it was okay. I just couldn't get that into them. I just ended up putting Paranoid Android on repeat whenever I listened to it. I appreciate them a lot more now, but I still have a hard time getting into their music because of that initial impression.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 03:46 AM   #72
cosmokramer
bad moon rising

cosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's asses
well it was nevermind by nirvana that really changed things.
through that i branched off to bands like sonic youth and after that..a whole new world of amazing music opened it's doors to me.

cosmokramer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 11:06 AM   #73
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=Signpost]In my case it was Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. I heard a track from that album on the radio at the end of 2000. quote]

when has THAT ever been on the radio?

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 11:13 AM   #74
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
Since Mellon Collie got me into music in the first place (I still love it), I would say the one that changed my taste was Kid A. It was so haunting, so beautiful, so undescribably strange (it still is) that I immediatley became interested in hearing other music that was super expiremental. That's where Sonic Youth and Butthole Surfers and My Bloody Valentine come in.

Also, Slanted and Enchanted and Crooked Rain by Pavement also got me interested in the rawer, more primitive sounding bands, like early punk and Velvet Underground

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2006, 03:03 AM   #75
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
There's one more day for you to post in this thread if you want to enter the competition, folks. I'll be deciding who gets the book tomorrow.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2006, 03:18 AM   #76
bloom
empty page

bloom has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
"Comme à la Radio", brigitte fontaine
bloom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2006, 06:09 AM   #77
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
The Stooges- Fun House

Cause it's wild shit
Old 07.25.2006, 08:42 AM   #78
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
The sharp left turn came from Lydia Lunch's Hysterie 1976-1986. Probably.

I bought this expensive album out of boredom.

I didn't know who she was, had no idea what it would be like (but hoped for something punky).

At that time, I had the feeling I knew it all. I had been a Duran Duran fan - Union of the Snakes on TV. I had been into Midnight Oil (one track on a small radio), Dead Kennedys (from the only guy I knew who knew Midnight Oil), the Cure (tv), the Cramps (movies), Nick Cave (Wim Wenders), PIL-Buzzcocks-Magazine (personal researches).
I was desperately looking for records by the Slits (had a glimpse of them on TV when Sid & Nancy was released).

I was craving for something I couldn't name, and wasted money on records. I tried Lydia Lunch the same way I had tried Girlschool (partly hoping that it would be so crappy that I would quit spending spending spending).

Hysterie wasn't that great apart from a couple of tracks, one of them with Sort Sol. It was mentioned that she had also recorded something with Sonic Youth.

As there was no rush and no Slits record to be found, I came back to the Cramps. Grew tired, bought Sonic Youth's BMR. Didn't like it - a padded extended play. Found albums by the Slits. Gave Sonic Youth another chance for, after all, I Love Her All the Time had surprised me (how could words sound so different when they're the same? if it was due to that noise that split the song in two it was magic), fell in love with I'm Insane and...
I forgot it all about Midnight Oil, I can't listen to DK no more.

Sonic Youth was the first group nobody could stop me from loving.
"Could you please cut what you're listening to? Is that a washing machine you're playing?" some bloke in 1991.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2006, 10:09 AM   #79
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Hmmmmm...
A couple albums that really revitalized my musical taste:
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Pixies - Doolittle
Radiohead - Kid A, OK Computer
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Fugazi - In On The Killtaker
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2006, 10:10 AM   #80
connie kreski
little trouble girl

connie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant future
the only album that changed the way i listened to music
was seventeen seconds (thE Cure), i was 11, i'm 30 now
and i still love it.

connie kreski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth