Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Albums you can't bear to listen to in one go.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.22.2007, 03:11 AM   #1
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
... and why?

Inspired by a post in the hip hop thread.

It's not a bad album, but it gets irritating after 3-4 tracks.
There are more, which I'll post later.

You?
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2007, 03:43 AM   #2
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
The Whitey Album
Psychocandy
Double Nickels On The Dime

doesn't mean I like them any less, I just usually get bored by either the "wackiness" of The Whitey Album, the reverbed vocals of Psychocandy, or the sheer endless short song ADHD of Double Nickels.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2007, 05:18 AM   #3
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Birchville Cat Motel's "Our Love Will Destroy the world" to mention as one of the endless line of drone records I have. Great to listen to for about 15 minutes but then it just gets exhausting.

Also, I barely even listen to any of my noise records in one go.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2007, 05:48 AM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I'm glad my posts continue to inspire people. Also, I love "Drukqs". I could listen to that all day long and never get bored with it. There are so many interesting diversions on those 2 discs that it never seems to even be the same album sometimes; even then, it doesn't feel like there's filler.. everything is in its right place..

Uh.. speaking as someone who listened to the entire Merzbox during 2 separate weekends in a row, it's very hard for me to stop listening to an album.. I'll usually skip a track or two on a record if it's not something I dig, but even then I feel weird ruining the flow of an album.. though I will say that there are lots of noise albums that just get really really boring after 45 minutes (though not as boring as long noise shows..)... LOTS of fucking grindcore/punk albums that are longer than a half an hour (unless we're talking about Discordance Axis; I can listen to that shit all day)... basically, it's hard to make interesting noise, hip hop, punk, grind, power violence, soul, "brutal death metal", "real" black metal (what with it's shitty production), r&b, rock, indie, and pop albums that are longer than 30-40 minutes... wait, I think I named jsut about every genre.. uh.. I guess the general rule of thumb is that most bands who do albums longer than 45 minutes or so really just pack it with filler.... so yeah. Okay, okay, let me put me thesis in here: I don't really think many albums should be longer than 45 minutes. So, yeah, I can't think of any specific examples for this thread.

Oh, wait, yeah, I got one: Trout Mask Replica. I love Captain Beefheart with all my heart and soul, but there's just a bit too much fucking around in the studio and spoken word pieces and so on and so forth.. it's BY FAR his longest album, with none of his other proper albums (so, the original Bat Chain Puller doesn't count, for example) even being 45 minutes long if I remember correctly, and Zappa's production is fucking terrible.. dry dry dry, vocals way too loud and in-your-face, and too much treble and too many highs.. ugh. That album gives me a migraine. The music on it is brilliant, but Zappa's heavy-handed production and, uh, whatever else he "contributed", just make it boring to listen to.

That's really the only not-so-obvious example I can think of right now; the rest are pretty obvious..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2007, 05:59 AM   #5
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I guess the general rule of thumb is that most bands who do albums longer than 45 minutes or so really just pack it with filler.... so yeah. Okay, okay, let me put me thesis in here: I don't really think many albums should be longer than 45 minutes. So, yeah, I can't think of any specific examples for this thread.

Despite the many reasons to not like Modest Mouse, this is the biggie. Each record is ridiculously epic. I've never sat through an entire spin, even when I dug 'em.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2007, 01:57 AM   #6
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
The Whitey Album
Psychocandy
Double Nickels On The Dime

doesn't mean I like them any less, I just usually get bored by either the "wackiness" of The Whitey Album, the reverbed vocals of Psychocandy, or the sheer endless short song ADHD of Double Nickels.
Agreed with Psychocandy.
Old 08.23.2007, 06:56 AM   #7
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
There's plenty of albums that I need to be in the right mood for. I wouldn't stick on an Opera unless I know that no-one's going to disturb me, I'm not too tired to read the libretto (makes a difference to me, in spite of what some might say) and I have a bottle of decent red wine. Even so, something like Tristan and Isolde I don't think I've sat through it its entireity more than once. Actually, with a lot of classical things, y'know how they stick different pieces on one CD? Well, I generally need a break before listening to the different pieces.

Something like Metal Machine Music is pretty pointless to listen to in its entireity, which is why it's a much better album on vinyl. Same with any album, really. If it's two (+) LPs, I can't listen to them all in one sitting.

I managed to get through 6 CDs of the TG+ boxset in one sitting. There are plans afoot to listen to the entireity of the Ring in one day. Mmm. Musical masochism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2007, 03:47 PM   #8
SonicSam
children of satan

SonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's asses
The Charles Bronson discography CD cos theres over 100 songs on it.

SonicSam is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2007, 03:55 PM   #9
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah... but that seems to go with my rule that all power violence albums get really old really quickly..

Speaking of which, at Spazz's last show, there was a discography CD sold that had like 400 songs. Now, I love Spazz, but..

Also, speaking of grindcore now, that Agoraphobic Nosebleed "Beastial Machinery" album which is 2 full discs and like 150 songs or some shit.. jesus.

Old 08.23.2007, 04:12 PM   #10
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Jenny Piccolo's discog. Band rules, but it's just kind of pointless.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2007, 12:40 AM   #11
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
There really aren't any albums for me that I feel this way about.

However, there are certainly a few that are such incredible commitments to listen to all the way through, that I don't do it but once every year or more. Berlin by Lou Reed is one example, Om by John Coltrane is another. I'd put them among my favorite albums, but I sure don't listen to them over and over. A lot of Merzbow albums fit here too.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2007, 01:35 AM   #12
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
There's plenty of albums that I need to be in the right mood for. I wouldn't stick on an Opera unless I know that no-one's going to disturb me, I'm not too tired to read the libretto (makes a difference to me, in spite of what some might say) and I have a bottle of decent red wine. Even so, something like Tristan and Isolde I don't think I've sat through it its entireity more than once. Actually, with a lot of classical things, y'know how they stick different pieces on one CD? Well, I generally need a break before listening to the different pieces.

Something like Metal Machine Music is pretty pointless to listen to in its entireity, which is why it's a much better album on vinyl. Same with any album, really. If it's two (+) LPs, I can't listen to them all in one sitting.

I managed to get through 6 CDs of the TG+ boxset in one sitting. There are plans afoot to listen to the entireity of the Ring in one day. Mmm. Musical masochism.

Glice, the sixteen hours is worth it, even more so if you get the opportunity to see it live. Although it was split over four nights when i saw it.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2007, 01:57 AM   #13
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
as much as i love the Melvins, Gluey Porch Treatments can get pretty dreary.
Old 08.24.2007, 09:35 AM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

aw man what! I have gluey and ozma on one disc. it's amazing!

Old 08.24.2007, 01:04 PM   #15
SonicSam
children of satan

SonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah... but that seems to go with my rule that all power violence albums get really old really quickly..

Nah, out of all my albums the power violence ones are the ones I listen to the most.

SonicSam is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2007, 02:45 PM   #16
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
aw man what! I have gluey and ozma on one disc. it's amazing!

i have the same thing and it is just too much for one disc. i mean, Ozma is a great great album and i love it, but the whole thing, god.
Old 08.24.2007, 05:50 PM   #17
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
Glice, the sixteen hours is worth it, even more so if you get the opportunity to see it live. Although it was split over four nights when i saw it.

Word. I missed the recent Cardiff [or somewhere in Wales?] show, but I think it's probably better if I wait another 10 years or so. I'm still young, and I'm sure I'll see it somewhere before I die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2007, 06:03 PM   #18
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I can listen to anything, if i'm not really listening to it. (If that makes sense) If i'm planning to sit down and give it some proper attention though, I find The Beatles' White Album quite difficult to get through - even though I think parts of it are great.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2007, 06:11 PM   #19
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Also, speaking of grindcore now, that Agoraphobic Nosebleed "Beastial Machinery" album which is 2 full discs and like 150 songs or some shit.. jesus.

now that you are mentioning that album, i downloaded it a while back and wanted to burn a copy but i was low on cd-rs at the time, so i editing the files so that two songs could go in a single track, i ended up with a single cd-r with 70 something songs in like 50 or 60 minutes and i still haven't made it past the 20 minute mark.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.25.2007, 07:13 AM   #20
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

everyneurotic, are we soul mates?

i did the same fucking thing... well.. track 99 is just every single track after that point together.. if you know what i'm saying.. but yeah.

...it wasn't really worth it..

oh, and i mailed your tape off tuesday!!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth