Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café III
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.17.2014, 09:42 AM   #1141
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
doesn't include any of the skits on the early Wu albums.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2014, 10:10 AM   #1142
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

part of the reason I didn't say 100%.
Old 09.17.2014, 11:00 AM   #1143
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
All of OUtkasts albums are like double or triple vinyl, or even quadruple vinyl.
Old 09.17.2014, 01:39 PM   #1144
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Yes, 99% of skits are skipppable garbage.
The skits on NWA, Snoop, and Kurrupt records are that 1% of good shit

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2014, 06:20 AM   #1145
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
the Bishop Nehru x MF DOOM collab project leaked and honestly, it's pretty bad. it's more like a Bishop Nehru solo project featuring DOOM on a couple of tracks. Nehru isn't an interesting rapper, and he tries to sing at some parts and just ends up sounds terrible.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2014, 10:02 PM   #1146
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

The Roots - Game Theory - 2006 - Def Jam
Bookended between two tracks based on the works of J. Dilla who had just passed away unexpectedly, Game Theory is a brutally downer record. Look at that cover art - a hanging man upon ugly darkness. There is no partying on this album. It is a starkly bleek album. Heck, even Malik B's return after a severe drug problem seems somewhat stymied by the fact that he's relegated to "featuring" status rather than considered part of the band again. Sure The Roots have touched on serious matters in the past. But surely this is one of grieving. Which is to say that elements such as sadness and anger rise to the top. Throughout the years Questlove has praised the work of Public Enemy, but never have The Roots projected the sounds of PE quite like here. The instrumental tracks are a layered mess of noise. Black Thought's vocals are urgent, never playful. And perhaps even more telling are the drums. It's almost crazy to say that the drums sound livid - but there they are in almost every track bleeding into the red. In a sense this is the first real "concept album" by The Roots. In the same way that Dark Side Of The Moon is a concept album. This is a band that is disgusted by the world they live and know no other way of expressing it but to make an album. But beautifully, this means that the more proggy interests of the musicians comes out. Imagine a track like "In The Music" with no vocals, and it wouldn't even sound like it belonged on a hip hop LP. Or take "Atonement," which rides a reconstruction of Radiohead's "You And Whose Army?". This is an incredibly cathartic listen. And to a degree, it lets the listener of the hook with a couple of tracks smack dab in the middle - "Take It There" and "Baby" - which ease up a bit on the tone. But in a sense they really only serve as the eye of a hurricane. This is far from a feelgood record. But completely a commendable work of art.
Old 09.20.2014, 06:51 AM   #1147
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Asap Moob album delayed til january now...
Old 09.20.2014, 11:29 AM   #1148
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Nah I'd say their skits get tiresome pretty damn quickly. Who started that whole skits thing on albums?

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2014, 12:25 PM   #1149
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
80s rap started skits.. like I said NWA and Snoop skits were always funny and well timed, I agreee the wu skits are boring

Old 09.20.2014, 12:54 PM   #1150
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
the Bishop Nehru x MF DOOM collab project leaked and honestly, it's pretty bad. it's more like a Bishop Nehru solo project featuring DOOM on a couple of tracks. Nehru isn't an interesting rapper, and he tries to sing at some parts and just ends up sounds terrible.

I told y'all. Bishop N. is just a fucking joke. Why Doom is even bothering to "collab" with him is beyond me completely. The kid is so focused on all he's done by age 16, but he hasn't done SHIT! He's spectacularly unimpressive, I swear.

MF Doom, however, is one of the best (well, one of my personal favorite) emcees of all time. So don't get me wrong. I am not dissing Tha Metal.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2014, 01:08 PM   #1151
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
80s rap started skits.. like I said NWA and Snoop skits were always funny and well timed, I agreee the wu skits are boring

Not all Wu skits are boring. Not all are bad. Some are integrated into songs and used as story telling devices (look at our mutual friend the Secret World of Walter Reed for evidence of this); and the skits on GFK's 12 Reasons to Die are powerful parts of the album... Not even sure they're skits. Just extended sections of non-musical voice acting, sound effects and narratives.

Liquid Swords has some excellent "skits," esp. if you include the Shogun Assassin sample.

But yeah- there are some doozies. There are moments, even on my precious OB4CL, when it feels like they're trying to break the world record for saying, "Word is bond!" Even when it seems utterly inappropriate, or like a complete non-sequitur.

I like NWA's skits. Snoop's, sometimes. Know who really delivers when it comes to skits? Motherf**kin' OUTKAST. Even if it's just Southern Belles discussing the limited virility of their recent sexual partners, OutKast tends to make distinctly non-fillet skits, and I appreciate that very much.
Old 09.20.2014, 02:02 PM   #1152
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Psychic World of Walter Reed doesn't have "skits" but it does have what we might call "intros/outros" which close sections of the album and introduce others.. I like Outkast skits but they sometimes are tooooooooooo loooooooooooooooooooooooooong..

The Game has some cool skits too.. I think Ghostface should completely abandon them, he doesn't quite seem to understand what he is supposed to be doing. Kurrupt and Daz always had THE MOST FUN skits EVER in rap music. NWA skits were sometimes funny, often their most serious or overt political statements. I'm glad that Tupac never bothered with skits, even though just about every deathrow artist dabbled. Mack 10 and his "Mickey D's Lick" has one of the all-time funniest intro skits..

Also the Mr. Wang's skit on Fugees is fucking PRICELESS

Old 09.20.2014, 05:16 PM   #1153
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Lil' Troy - Sittin' Fat Down South - 1999 - Universal Records
Lil' Troy is certainly best known for his lone hit single, "Wanna Be A Baller," found here. While listening to the full album it occurred to me that there are so many guests that I'm not even sure which voice belongs to Troy. Upon inspecting the liner notes, I'm baffled. It appears that Troy doesn't even appear on "Wanna Be A Baller." And if the liner notes are to be believed, all songs were produced by someone named Grim and not Lil' Troy. So I'm not really sure how this is his song. Oddly enough, it would appear that he doesn't even show up on his own album until the fifth song. And he only seems to appear on five of the album's fourteen tracks. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm confused. Mystery aside, it's a pretty good record. There's a definite Texas sound throughout. The Geto Boys are definitely invoked in style, and as it happens both Scarface and Willie D. make guest appearances. The beats are mostly built from the ground up, even when interpolating other songs (I swear "Wanna Be A Baller" was a nod to the intro of Prince's "Raspberry Beret") and feature a nice range of instrumentation with heavy use of electric piano and bluesy guitars. It's not a super cohesive album though, and sometimes the change in tone can be jarring. For instance when you get to "Still A Bitch," which is completely sung instead of rapped. Or when Scarface shows up on "Another Head Put To Rest" that sounds like it could have been recorded ten years earlier based on the beat and the flow that he rides. Or when the Roger Troutman sample comes in on "Where's The Love," which is completely vocodered and seemingly out of place. But then again, I'm not complaining as "Where's The Love" is one of the more interesting tracks here. And in fact the weird mish-mash creates a pretty interesting mess. While "Wanna Be A Baller" remains the one-hit that made Troy a wonder, this album as a whole is something that probably could not be replicated. It's not great, but it does somehow work.
Old 09.20.2014, 05:20 PM   #1154
noisereductions
invito al cielo

intros/outros to songs are one thing. But skits (IE: Full tracks that are not songs) def wear on me.

Interesting question though... can we try to find the first skit (as I've defined above) on a hip hop album?

wiki says

Quote:
The hip-hop skit was more or less pioneered by De La Soul and their producer Prince Paul who incorporated many skits on their 1989 debut album 3 Feet High and Rising.

can we cite something earlier?
Old 09.20.2014, 07:46 PM   #1155
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Surely before 89.. while its not formally a skit it sure feels,like,one, the intro on Fuck Da Police from str8 outta compton which came out 88

Old 09.20.2014, 07:52 PM   #1156
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Surely before 89.. while its not formally a skit it sure feels,like,one, the intro on Fuck Da Police from str8 outta compton which came out 88

right right but what I'm aiming for is not just part of a song, but an actual full track that is just not a song?
Old 09.20.2014, 07:53 PM   #1157
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty - 1998 - Capitol
Released after a lengthy hiatus, the fifth Beastie Boys album is a bit of a reinvention. Whereas the previous records - Check Your Head, Ill Communication and the Aglio E Olio EP felt a lot more like the work of the Beasties as a band, Hello Nasty highlights the Beasties as MC's. And there's a very good reason for this - Mixmaster Mike. With Mike behind the wheels of steel, this album has a very old school (see: "Three MC's and One DJ") feel to it. If you were a fan of those other records, it may feel a jarring shift, but at the same time it's also a bit of a shift back to the feeling of Licensed To Ill and Paul's Boutique except brought up to the sound of the late 90's. And it's damn good. Although it feels a bit front-loaded as well. The opening stretch of "Super Disco Breakin'," "The Move," and "Remote Control" is just fucking ridiculous. And then things shift a bit with the pretty out-there "Song For The Man." But this won't be the first shift in tone throughout the record. Indeed over the course of 22 tracks you're going to hear all kinds of styles. And in that sense, it plays out like some crazy mixtape of the Beasties' favorite songs, where no genre is off limits. And truth be told that's fun as hell, but also slightly frustrating as sometimes the sequencing doesn't feel optimal. Sticking some of the more experimental or meandering tracks between "Intergalactic" or "The Grasshopper Unit" may have been a bit more beneficial than throwing some of the less-than-three-minute experimental excursions together in bundle. But at the end of the record, it all seems to make some kind of weird sense in the blendered world that the Beasties always created. Sure closing the record with what basically feels like three outro tracks is kind of baffling, but ultimately nothing here sounds like a throwaway either. Even the slightly failed experiments are worth experiencing. Maybe it's not the best Beastie Boys album, but they're one of those rare bands where even at their worst they're still worth listening to. And even if I personally adored the sound they had been exploring on Check Your Head and Ill Communication, the fact that they are so willing to switch gears from album to album is a reminder of why I love them.
Old 09.20.2014, 08:30 PM   #1158
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Snoop Dogg - More Malice - 2010 - Priority
If you can't tell from the title, More Malice is meant to be a companion to Malice In Wonderland. It starts off with a remix of "I Wanna Rock" featuring Jay-Z, which is amazingly boring. I'm not sure how Snoop and Hov could get together and create something so phoned in, but I swear you can hear them decided who should actually rap while the beat just plays aimlessly. The other Malice remix here is of "Pronto" featuring Soulja Boy (who appared on the original) and Bun B, and much like the original, it's surprisingly good. Certainly it aimed for radio play, but it's a solid club track. "Protocol" and "That Tree" (the latter featuring Kid Cudi) sound like tracks that were cut from the original album for being too weird. Both are actually interesting with their unconventional beats, and "You're Gonna Luv Me" is actually a pretty solid slow jam. But for the most part everything here really feels like leftovers. On one hand it's nice that it's condensed to just eight tracks, but on the other one of those eight is actually just "Gangsta Luv," which appeared on the album proper. How the hell do you include an album cut on a companion album? So really this is seven tracks to append the original album. And really they're on par with said album. Which is to say that they're good, but not great. If you're a Snoop fanatic, then you'll want to hear them. But if you're a casual fan, he's got better in his discography for sure. The EP was also bundled with Malice N Wonderland: The Movie on DVD.
Old 09.20.2014, 09:22 PM   #1159
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly - 2002 - Rhymesayers
I'm sure Slug would hate the label, but God Loves Ugly is a masterpiece of "emo hip hop." Look at that cover. Not a flattering shot. Look at the title - self deprecation. Slug is "ugly" according to him. And God loves him. Look at the opening line "Atmosphere / and maybe you don't like us." Look at "Show Me" where he begs for "a pound or a hug," or "Fuck You Lucy" where he professes love for Lucy. This whole album is vulnerable, insecure, hurt. "Beat me down or beat me off." And the whole album is like that - quotable. But maybe the line "nobody sees tears when they're standing in a storm" is the most important. This is a record about bringing real feelings back to hip hop. And maybe this all sounds stupidly dramatic - and maybe it is - but somehow it succeeds. Atmosphere pulls all this off with straight faces. It's actually incredible how solid this exploration is. But part of it is the sincerity. Slug's love of hip hop is clear, so nothing feels shoehorned. Ice Cube is paraphrased on the title track, Mobb Deep on "Onemosphere." And part of that might be wearing a mask. Using lines from strong, confident rap songs to highlight insecurity. "Modern Man's Hustle" finds our storyteller trying to explain to his wife why the heck he's not home. And as hard as Slug tries to sound on the title track - comparing himself to a pimp, a captain on a sinking ship and a stepping razor, he does so over a classical-inspired piano motif while girls call him "so fucking ugly." Later he rhymes over a Radiohead sample - the first that I can think of in a hip hop song (so kudos!). This album is a crazy mess of feelings ranging from depressed, inadequate, cocky, optimistic, and everything in between. It was the aural equivalent of Slug's Live Journal feed (which was still a thing when this album was released) set to an hour of hip hop beats. And as horrible as that sounds on paper, it is fucking stunning on record.
Old 09.21.2014, 02:24 PM   #1160
Severian
invito al cielo

Recently picked up the 2011 “Gold” deluxe reissue of this. Listening to it in all its glory, with a pleasantly non-superfluous bonus disc filled with instrumentals and alt. takes... It just reminded me of how much I love this album. Most people think of both Vaudville and “Venomous” as discography "paddle" on DOOM's part, so whenever the topic comes up and I start firing off impromptu lists, people are stunned to hear that Vaudeville Villain is my #3 Doom record, after MM.. Food?? & Born Like This. I Hate having to defend my choices...

Anyway- the fact that this album received a reissue treatment is pretty wild to me. I mean- It's fucking great, but not even Madvillainy has been given that honor. I'd like to see everything from Monster Island Czars & "Take me to your Leader" to the Doom/Grimm split and Live from Planet X get the deluxe treatment, but I love the Viktor Vaughn shit, even though it's barely even a side project, and sounds exactly like Doom. Lol.
48555657 58 59606168 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth