Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Daydream Deluxe Vinyl Box
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.13.2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Cooley
empty page

Cooley kicks all y'all's assesCooley kicks all y'all's assesCooley kicks all y'all's assesCooley kicks all y'all's assesCooley kicks all y'all's assesCooley kicks all y'all's assesCooley kicks all y'all's assesCooley kicks all y'all's assesCooley kicks all y'all's assesCooley kicks all y'all's assesCooley kicks all y'all's asses
Anybody got theirs yet? I just cracked it open and it's pretty damn nice. Sounds good, too. And they were nice enough to put the "Eric's Trip" demo on the bonus LPs!
Cooley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 08:23 PM   #2
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Yes. It's nicely done. Got mine today. I was determined NOT to buy this--until I saw it, and I couldn't resist. It's damned pretty, actually. I love the photos on the sleeves, and the booklet is great, and they did a nice job with the record labels.

Good stuff. Sounds better than the CD, too.
Old 07.16.2007, 08:39 PM   #3
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I want to start buying vinyl, maybe it'll be my first.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 08:42 PM   #4
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Only thing is, I don't have a poly sleeve big enough. For the Goo thing, I had to cut two apart and fit them together.
Old 07.16.2007, 09:25 PM   #5
coastrat
empty page

coastrat chews with a vagina dentatacoastrat chews with a vagina dentata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
I want to start buying vinyl, maybe it'll be my first.

Save yourself. Resist the vinyl temptation.
coastrat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 09:26 PM   #6
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
How could you say that? You're the son of satan, you fool.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 11:25 PM   #7
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
I'm probably going to pick up a copy really soon. But it's $42 at the store (plus taxes, so y'know, it's a big jump to make haha. I know it's worth it and everything, but that's a lot of money!)

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2007, 08:24 AM   #8
gmku
invito al cielo

That's the problem I had, too. $37 inc. tax here. So I went back twice before I picked it up. I was really determined not to. Then I realized every time I've done that before, passed up an LP I really wanted because of price or whatever, it's gone out of print and then I kick myself later.

Since most of us here are already familiar with the release, and since the live set isn't all that much different from the studio cuts, the thing that makes getting this album worth the coin is mainly the packaging. It's beautiful, really, from the nice reproduction of the cover art to the DDN-era publicity photos in the booklet and on the sleeves. It's nice to have the big booklet, too, not the CD-sized one--pix are much bigger, of course, and the text is easier to read. The 10-buck difference between the CD and the LP is well worth it for those things, if you ask me. And if you don't have the cover songs, of course, it's nice to have those all on one LP side.

Besides the music, the packaging alone deserves an award.
Old 07.17.2007, 02:08 PM   #9
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Picture?
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2007, 11:37 PM   #10
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't even seen the CD yet, let alone the vinyl...I needa get this fucka sooon! How are the liner notes?

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2007, 05:50 AM   #11
Protectmeyou
bad moon rising

Protectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's asses
probably the least interesting (shortest too) of the deluxe editions, but still worth a read
Protectmeyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2007, 11:45 AM   #12
SYphilis
empty page

SYphilis has much to be proud ofSYphilis has much to be proud ofSYphilis has much to be proud ofSYphilis has much to be proud ofSYphilis has much to be proud ofSYphilis has much to be proud ofSYphilis has much to be proud ofSYphilis has much to be proud ofSYphilis has much to be proud ofSYphilis has much to be proud of
It sounds amazing on vinyl. Little noises and scratches I'd never noticed before. Viva Daydream!
SYphilis is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2007, 11:45 AM   #13
gmku
invito al cielo

Yeah, the liner notes were a little lacklustre, given the bigness of the album. I was expecting more. But they're not bad. Just a little dry. Pix are great, though.
Old 07.18.2007, 11:47 AM   #14
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYphilis
It sounds amazing on vinyl. Little noises and scratches I'd never noticed before. Viva Daydream!

I hope you mean in the mix itself, not in the surface of the vinyl.

My copy is one of the quietest pieces of new vinyl I've heard, and I buy a lot of 180-gram reissues. Rivals the best of 4 Men with Beards in pressing quality.
Old 07.18.2007, 04:40 PM   #15
gmku
invito al cielo

Don't open it!
Old 07.18.2007, 05:05 PM   #16
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
That's the problem I had, too. $37 inc. tax here. So I went back twice before I picked it up. I was really determined not to. Then I realized every time I've done that before, passed up an LP I really wanted because of price or whatever, it's gone out of print and then I kick myself later.

Since most of us here are already familiar with the release, and since the live set isn't all that much different from the studio cuts, the thing that makes getting this album worth the coin is mainly the packaging. It's beautiful, really, from the nice reproduction of the cover art to the DDN-era publicity photos in the booklet and on the sleeves. It's nice to have the big booklet, too, not the CD-sized one--pix are much bigger, of course, and the text is easier to read. The 10-buck difference between the CD and the LP is well worth it for those things, if you ask me. And if you don't have the cover songs, of course, it's nice to have those all on one LP side.

Yeh? I keep looking at it, and it's so, so very beautiful hehehe. I just see the bunch of Daydream boxes, and I wonder why I'm holding other records...
I'm going to have to pick up the Goo and Dirty deluxe lp boxes, as well. Are they the same style?

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 07.18.2007, 06:01 PM   #17
Disgruntled Youth
the end of the ugly

Disgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's asses
Hell yeah & it's staying sealed till I get doubles. RDTV your is in the shop with the New Beasties.

"Drink Guinness & live,
Hate Guinness & die"
Lee "Scratch" Perry
Disgruntled Youth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2007, 08:20 PM   #18
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Youth
Hell yeah & it's staying sealed till I get doubles. RDTV your is in the shop with the New Beasties.

Well, I was joking, but you're serious about getting another one?

And I thought I was vinyl fetishist. You put me to shame, sir. I am not worthy...
Old 07.18.2007, 08:21 PM   #19
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
Yeh? I keep looking at it, and it's so, so very beautiful hehehe. I just see the bunch of Daydream boxes, and I wonder why I'm holding other records...
I'm going to have to pick up the Goo and Dirty deluxe lp boxes, as well. Are they the same style?

I have the Goo Deluxe and it is quite lovely, yes.

I should pick up the Dirty Deluxe. I keep hearing good things about that one as well. I like the Goo album better, even thought Dirty has grown on me over the years.
Old 07.18.2007, 08:26 PM   #20
k-krack
invito al cielo

The Dirty deluxe is fantastic (however, I haven't heard Goo deluxe, so I can't offer comparisons haha).

Danny is a C.H.U.D.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth