Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth have made some great music
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.01.2007, 11:03 AM   #1
crystalline hobo
empty page

crystalline hobo kicks all y'all's assescrystalline hobo kicks all y'all's assescrystalline hobo kicks all y'all's assescrystalline hobo kicks all y'all's assescrystalline hobo kicks all y'all's assescrystalline hobo kicks all y'all's assescrystalline hobo kicks all y'all's assescrystalline hobo kicks all y'all's assescrystalline hobo kicks all y'all's assescrystalline hobo kicks all y'all's assescrystalline hobo kicks all y'all's asses
My name is Crystal and I'm a SY addict.
So I've been lurking around here for a while, observing the scene from the shadows, and here's my assessment: You guys hardly ever talk about the music. Yeah its good to hear about how important they are and how theyve influenced most of the civilised world, and its interesting to know yr top 5 albums ETC, people seem to forget the reason that were all here in the first place-(see thread title).
So cmon, share with the group, WHAT ARE YR FAVOURITE SY MOMENTS?, when do they make you dance, make you sing along, make you smile uncontrollably make you forget where you are and what the hell yr doin there? If there was ever architecture worth dancing about, this is it.
Heres a few moves to get things rolling:

-the 'aooowww!' scream during Catholic Block (?), suggesting that they were havin just as much fun as we are

-about 4-5 minutes into Teen Age Riot when the main 'riff' returns like a big alt-rock fanfare

-the gorgeous 'i'll wait, ill wait all day' group chorus in wildflower soul

-the eerie beauty of kim's bit in schizophrenia (obvious I know). (oh yeah and the bits directly preceding and following kim's bit)

-the intangible, awesome nonchalance of the first part of 'the sprawl'. And then the blissed out ending, where it seems that kim's character has ascended to heaven cos she's just too cool to stick around here.

-'hello, 2015!!'

your turn.
crystalline hobo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
YES! Let us talk about the music. enough talk about the minutiae of sonic life!

some of Rob Instigator's fave sonic moments

-The "Rraaaaaaarrgghhhhhhhhhh!!!" that starts of Death valley 69. That is sonic genius for me. I never ever fail to get insane when I hear that.

-when thurston starts chanting "complete inhuman, complete inhuman, complete inhuman...."

-when kim starts singing on Reena

-the FAT ASS guitar riff after the third time that kim sings I LOVE YOU WHAT'S YOUR NAME? on Drunken Butterfly

-the entirety of MOTE and wish fulfillment.
Old 06.01.2007, 01:18 PM   #3
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Nice thread. Very nice indeed
-When the electric lead guitar comes in on Pink Steam it just hits me really hard
-As CHOUT brought to my attention, the very last second of Brother James is amazing
-"Ask me if I care Karen
Miss communication
Karen
Karen" part of Karenology blows my mind time and time again

-The very beginning of Sonic Nurse. They don't waste any time to start rocking
-Kim's repeated saying of "Fucking Youth" on I Dreamed I Dream just feels so right
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 01:22 PM   #4
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
First thing that comes to mind:

The World Looks Red - the intro, and the "No it isn't, yes it is" outro on some live versions.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 03:22 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
- everything about skip tracer
- everything about stereo sanctity
- the weird bendy guitar stuff in brother james
- the guitar interplay in bull in the heather (try just listening to the left or just the right channels to see how crazy it sounds)
- the last few minutes of she'd in a bad mood
- the heroic intro to brave men run
- the ugly sassy grunge riffs in waist
- the opening of white cross
- the instrumental part in death valley 69 when the guitars and the drums come together.. it's hard to describe, but it does it right before the vocals come on.. that "dun dun dun dundudndundun dun dun dun dundundundun" .. and then the high pitched riff in that song that goes "duuuuuuuuuuuun dun dun dundun dun duuuuuuun". heh.
- the end of the song nyc ghosts and flowers
- the guitar versus the fuzzed out bass in mildred pierce
- the long instrumental part at the end of dirty boots
- the firecrackers in in the kingdom #19

My favorite sonic youth moment, though, was the first time i heard cross the breeze... my jaw dropped.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 03:40 PM   #6
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
That's cuz CROSS THE BREEZE is fucking awesome man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06.01.2007, 04:16 PM   #7
neptuneg
100%

neptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
That's cuz CROSS THE BREEZE is fucking awesome man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah yeah! it's my favorite song
neptuneg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Toxa
100%

Toxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's asses
when Kim says "Fuck You!" in The Sprawl
when The Wonder smoothly flows in Hyperstation.
when Lee sings "Memory Disease Across United States" in Paper Cup Exit.
ending of In The Mind of the Bourgeios Reader.
last seconds of Small Flowers Crack Concrete.
Toxa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 04:54 PM   #9
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
-sugar kane, live at later with jools holland, '92. it single handly made me a sy fan.
-the intro to jc
-the fact that they covered "nic fit"
-the guitars at the end of she's in a bad mood
-freezer burn/i wanna be yr dog, from start to end
-the part in confusion is next when the song goes faster.
-brother james live
-the harmonics in society is a whole
-marilyn moore, everything
-thurston and kim harmonizing in kotton krown
-thurston's vocals in catholic block
-the last part of 'cross the breeze
-the riff from total trash
-dirty boots, everything
-mote live (extended)
-the diamond sea (extended and live)
-hits of sunshine
-syr4
-silver sessions
-lightnin'
-the part in rain on tin where the drums stop and the guitars are playing.
-the fact that the working title for rain on tin was "celtic frost"
-the instrumental part of the dripping dream
-the segue between pattern recognition and unmade bed
-the fact that they have been into music and have kept on with what's happening around them
-sonic youth live, anytime, anywhere.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 05:48 PM   #10
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
-Hyperstation emerging from The Wonder
-Lee's bit in the beginning of Renegade Princess
-The hypnotic chanting of "I got your cotton crown"
-The hypnotic chanting of "Becuz of you..."
-The unison riff in Pink Steam ("don't you know you need no other...")
-KYI version of Shaking Hell (Kim screaming "SHAKE!!!")
-The anticipation of I Wanna Be Yr Dog during Freezer Burn
-When the steady drums kick in on Anagrama
-The breakdown in Theresa's Sound World
-Kim's overdubs on Radical Adults
-This was already said, but the intro to JC where the bass starts to shape the song
-The intro and transition to verse in Golden Blue
-Intro (from BMR)
-That feedback right before "Did lightning keep you up all night" on NYCG&F
-The outro of Mote
-The lead guitar riff in PCH's middle part
-The variation of the riff in Kool Thing right after Chuck D
-"Hold me tight down on me knees, so I don't go burning 'cross the breeze" ...anytime Kim.
Old 06.01.2007, 05:57 PM   #11
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
the breakdown into noise and then the breakdown of the noise and back to the song.. silver rocket

the beauty of unwind

the steve drum hero shelley bit in chapel hill

the stinkin bass line of thursts in inhuman

the entirity of daydream

the texture in nycg&f

the abandonment of expressway

mote

the can rip off of she is not alone

the intensity of diamond sea

burnin inside, we cross our heart ....................................

the diversity andoriginality and love of sonic youth.......
Old 06.01.2007, 05:58 PM   #12
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
the firecrackers in in the kingdom #19 .....
yes!!!!
Old 06.01.2007, 05:59 PM   #13
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
the breakdown into noise and then the breakdown of the beauty of unwind

Good call.
Old 06.01.2007, 06:28 PM   #14
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
My favorite sonic youth moment, though, was the first time i heard cross the breeze... my jaw dropped.

that was the song that made me want to listen to Sonic Youth. my brother had a bunch of their stuff and i didn't think much of them until i heard 'Cross the Breeze. that was almost four years ago.
Old 06.01.2007, 06:36 PM   #15
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
welcome crystalline

silver rocket woulod be my all time fav. when the noise section starts its transition back to the song and you hear steve's hats start to build the whole band back in... pure genius

the starting riff of dirty boots, when ever i hear it at a party it always brings a fantastic smile to my noggen

and the verse in wish fullfiment - whats real yada yada i see your face in a magazine

and g-force
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 06:40 PM   #16
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptuneg
yeah yeah! it's my favorite song

That entire song is amazing, but I particularly love the shift that occurs right around the 2:19 mark, shortly before Kim starts singing. It's mind-blowing and unlike anything else I've heard from SY.
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 06:46 PM   #17
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
- The dying shrieks of the Jazzmaster as Thurston slits it's throat at in the last minute of 'The Diamond Sea'

- The opening riffs to 'Sweet Shine'

- The guitar war that begins 'Bone' as Kim's bassline referees (sonic note: Kim doesn't play bass in that song, her gtr's top string is tuned down very low)

- "Your life and my life, they don't touch at all... and thats no way to be"

- Lee and Thurston's descent into madness in 'Disappearer' before the last verse and chorus

- The wonderful reverb soaked harmonics in 'Shadow of a Doubt'

- The WHOLE of 'In The Kingdom #19', arguably the best song on EVOL

- "He's got a fatal erection, home in bed"

- The culmination of 'Rain on Tin's riffage, just after the bass is left on it's own towards the end

- When every instrument announces itself at the second start of 'Teenage Riot'

- "Gene Simmons is an ugly muthafucka... ssssshiowwww"

- 'Brave Men Run's wonderful poppish melody at the beginning when the guitars come in

- The bassline for 'Rats'
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 06:52 PM   #18
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
The middle section of Cotton Crown

The part of Kissability right around the 2:09 mark after the "guitar solo," but before Kim starts singing again.

In Cinderella's Big Score, the transition that occurs right around the 3:40 mark. Again, this is just after the "guitar solo," where the song starts to return to the intro riff.

The end of Catholic Block

Too many to name...
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 06:53 PM   #19
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
Too many to name...

Damn right.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 07:00 PM   #20
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
I can't think of any other band that has made such great music for so long.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth