Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Jazz that inspired no-wave
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.26.2008, 03:28 AM   #1
boop-oop-a-doop
empty page

boop-oop-a-doop has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Hi, I was just after some music advice and recommendations. I wanted to know what type of jazz musicians influenced the original 80's no wave scene. From what I have heard, a lot of bands from this scene had a saxophone player and there was a definite merge of jazz and punk. I just watched "Stranger than Paradise" recently and heard the song "I Put A Spell On You" by Screaming Jay Hawkins and was wondering if that dirty kind of screeching jazz music had an influence on no wave. And what other type of jazz musicians should I look into that might have had an influence on no wave. Thanks.
boop-oop-a-doop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2008, 07:44 AM   #2
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
james chance played the saxophone but i don't know if you could really go as far as to say no wave as a whole was influenced by jazz, and no wave certainly isn't a fusion of jazz and punk, if anything no wave is almost the polar opposite of jazz. and screamin' jay hawkins isn't a jazz musician anyway.
if you want something with saxophones that has a similar kind of intent to no wave then check out Borbetomagus.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth