Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.19.2012, 05:58 PM   #1221
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Bolton suggesting they can't face a replay with Spurs

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-it-again.html

As sad as the Muamba incident is, I do think things are getting a bit hysterical now. What happened was shocking but, ultimately, a guy had a heart attack at work. It happens everyday. So long as football moves ever closer to the entertainment industry, it should maybe follow the showbusiness' mantra that the show must go on. I can understand why the game was cancelled on Saturday but now that everyone knows the situation with Muamba, the game should be replayed as soon as possible if only to get it out of the way. I've even heard talk of the FA Cup being cancelled altogether this year. I can only imagine what might be proposed if he dies.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2012, 06:53 AM   #1222
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
reports today suggesting that his heart stopped for 76 minutes. thats incredible that he's awake and talking now, but i wonder how often this kind of thing happens in everyday life and doesn't get reported?

*edit* just seen Demonrails post along similiar lines
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2012, 01:38 PM   #1223
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I felt a bit bad after writing that; as though I was being a bit callous, but I do think the whole thing needs to be put into some perspective. As I said, it was right to abandon the game when happened but these players are professionals and should be able to rise above it the way any other professional would reasonably be expected to. I'll stop now, though, before I start turning into my dad (who hated football, incidentally).
Old 03.24.2012, 04:04 PM   #1224
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I think we might've seen the Prem's goal of the season today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRlg39wt00w
Old 04.02.2012, 11:19 AM   #1225
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I dont really know why the media seems to be blaming Balotelli for Man City's slump, David Silva has been shit for about 3 months, the defence is leaking like a colander, Dzeko has lost his touch, Nasri has been inconsistent, Milner is just Milner, the manager wont play Johnson because he doesnt like him. Whereas Mario shows up at the weekend and scores 2 goals. What more is a striker supposed to do?

Edit, i reckon its a routine Man U win tonight, 1-0.
I also think Johnny Evans deserves alot of credit, he's been playing really well recently, keeping Smalling and (the most overrated player in English football) Phil Jones out of the team.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2012, 11:30 AM   #1226
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah johnny evans was shit for a long time but he has picked it up recently
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2012, 11:39 AM   #1227
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I still think he's a far more reliable player (right now at least) than Phil Jones. the way the press went on about Jones, "Future England Captain" and all that nonsense. I swear they only do it because Johnny Evans looks a bit weedy and gormless and, yknow, IRISH

Whereas Phil Jones looks HARD... and TOUGH... and ENGLISH...

Even though he hasnt a clue how to defend yet. I swear theres some weird Middle-aged men in the journalism profession projecting their own footballing fantasies onto Phil Jones, wishing they had his jawline and his thighs. Fact is nobody knows where his best position is yet.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2012, 11:48 AM   #1228
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Who the fuck here watches the Bundesliga? The Dortmund/Stuttgart game the other day was amazing!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2012, 01:07 PM   #1229
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
I swear theres some weird Middle-aged men in the journalism profession projecting their own footballing fantasies onto Phil Jones, wishing they had his jawline and his thighs. Fact is nobody knows where his best position is yet.

Haha. That's so true. Although I think his unsettled position is largely down to Fergie's juggling (for me he's a centreback) and his inconsistent form could be put down to ongoing injuries. I do think he's very good (and for me a far better than Evans) but the media do seem to have a bit of thing for him. They obviously love that whole air ace style. Look at how the pundits like to big up Scott Parker so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
Who the fuck here watches the Bundesliga? The Dortmund/Stuttgart game the other day was amazing!

There's the odd mention of how amazing Bayern are this year but we don't really get much Bundesliga on TV. German football has a real image problem in England. It's invariably dismissed as being ruthlessly efficient and played by blokes with mullets and moustaches. And as Ikari mentioned, we build our footballing dreams on men who look like they ought to be flying Spitfires. Not great for Anglo-German relations.
Old 04.04.2012, 02:33 PM   #1230
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
There's the odd mention of how amazing Bayern are this year but we don't really get much Bundesliga on TV. German football has a real image problem in England. It's invariably dismissed as being ruthlessly efficient and played by blokes with mullets and moustaches. And as Ikari mentioned, we build our footballing dreams on men who look like they ought to be flying Spitfires. Not great for Anglo-German relations.

Bayern is great! When Ribery, Robben, Muller and Gomez are on the attack with Schweinsteiger in the middle it's like the fucking Blietzkrig! Ha ha, pushing the war stereotypes to absurdity (and that's a French muslim, a Dutchman, and a son of Spanish immigrants there!). I hope can you catch them on TV one of these days--beautiful offense. Dortmund is also an amazing team though I don't know them so well--I watch every Bayern game that's made available here though.

ESPN3, which streams games on the web here in the Yooessay, plays a lot of German games and only a couple of occasional English ones. Maybe it's a cost thing, since Fox Soccer (yes I said those 2 ugly words) is a premium cable channel that shows Premier League games and they presumably hog the rights. Who knows-- but yeah those stereotypes are bananas. And the chants, the German chants are awesome, by the way. Do you know any other fans in the world who use bits of opera in the stadium? [edit: oh, apparently it happens in japan too -- another axis country, ha ha ha]
Old 04.04.2012, 03:36 PM   #1231
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Fuck me, what a fucking brilliant goal!!!!!!!

COME ON YOU BLUE BOYS!!!!
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2012, 03:49 PM   #1232
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
I expect Bayern München vs. Real Madrid to be epic.
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2012, 01:32 AM   #1233
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Bayern is great! When Ribery, Robben, Muller and Gomez are on the attack with Schweinsteiger in the middle it's like the fucking Blietzkrig! Ha ha, pushing the war stereotypes to absurdity (and that's a French muslim, a Dutchman, and a son of Spanish immigrants there!). I hope can you catch them on TV one of these days--beautiful offense. Dortmund is also an amazing team though I don't know them so well--I watch every Bayern game that's made available here though.

Yeah, I do really want to see them, and can't wait for the game against Real Madrid. It's gonna be fascinating. I tend not to like Mourinho sides but I have to respect them. Although that Bayern attack does look ridiculous.

Chelsea and Barcelona is gonna be great too. Big grudge match for Chelsea and possibly the last CL campaign for some of their big players. And as brilliant as Barcelona can be, I've honestly not been as impressed with them this year. They definitely seem more beatable now, and if Chelsea click I think it could be a far closer game than some might expect. I'm expecting a titanic game from Terry.

Quote:
ESPN3, which streams games on the web here in the Yooessay, plays a lot of German games and only a couple of occasional English ones. Maybe it's a cost thing, since Fox Soccer (yes I said those 2 ugly words) is a premium cable channel that shows Premier League games and they presumably hog the rights. Who knows-- but yeah those stereotypes are bananas.

If you get the right Sky package you can see pretty much everything but besides a mild cultish interest in Serie A and La Liga, football culture here is pretty insular. I'd say that the vast majority of fans only really take an interest in European sides during the CL, and even then only when they're playing English teams. The only non English team that get any kind of significant coverage here is probably Barcelona. And most of that focuses on Messi. The widespread belief is that continental leagues play 'better' football than the Prem, but that the Prem is more exciting and intense. I've not seen enough of the other leagues to know if that's true but I have to admit that I've always found Serie A in particular to be really boring in comparison. I've developed a real soft spot for the Dutch league, though. Very similar in its way to the Prem. Very full on. I do really wanna see more of the German league though.

Quote:
bits of opera in the stadium? [edit: oh, apparently it happens in japan too -- another axis country, ha ha ha]

Haha. That Japanese clip is amazing, although in defence of the Allies, English fans have been adapting arias for decades.
Old 04.09.2012, 09:19 PM   #1234
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
I expect Bayern München vs. Real Madrid to be epic.

YEEEESSS. and bayern-dortmund on wednesday is going to be specfuckingtacular!

demoño: if you're curious, you could catch that on "espn UK /HD," whatever the fuck that is.
Old 04.10.2012, 08:07 AM   #1235
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Looks like Balotelli is on his way out of Man City, but will Mancini follow him out the door? And how long will Liverpool persist with Dalglish? His 'legend' status at Anfield is surely in danger of being eroded due to some dreadful buys and his terrible handling of the Suarez affair, not to mention Liverpool's massive decline in the second half of the season. I can't think of anyone at Liverpool besides 'King Kenny' who'd still be in charge after such a season of controversy and collapse. Liverpool have always been a team I respected even if I never supported them, but since Dalglish took over I think that respect is starting to fade for a lot of people.

And symbols, yeah, I should really look into one of either the ESPN or Sky packages. ESPN seems especially appealing as they also show the most MLB baseball, which I've recently become quite addicted to.
Old 04.10.2012, 01:26 PM   #1236
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

mang however that "package" worx don't get into a contract that forces you to pay & pay. i get "free' espn3 with my internet and i might subscribe to foxsoccer2go (online) at the tune of only $20/month, turn on/off at will. but cable? fuck cable.

i mentioned the channel cuz i figured you could go to a bar that offers it-- which is what i'll don't get "goltv" (satellite only). but checking schedules, game is 40 minutes earlier than man city, so i doubt you'll be available ha ha.

mlb puts me to sleep! some day you'll have to explain to me what makes it entertaining for you. i know the rules and all, but i still find it ultra-dull to watch.
Old 04.10.2012, 02:35 PM   #1237
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
i get "free' espn3 with my internet and i might subscribe to foxsoccer2go (online) at the tune of only $20/month, turn on/off at will. but cable? fuck cable.

i mentioned the channel cuz i figured you could go to a bar that offers it-- which is what i'll don't get "goltv" (satellite only). but checking schedules, game is 40 minutes earlier than man city, so i doubt you'll be available ha ha.

mlb puts me to sleep! some day you'll have to explain to me what makes it entertaining for you. i know the rules and all, but i still find it ultra-dull to watch.

It's a monthly package and we don't really get bars here showing anything but English football but there's plenty of ways of watching it illegally online. I just never seem to know how.

RE MLB, It took a while but I love it. Saying that, there aren't many sports I can't watch. Horse racing's about the only one I can't be arsed with. I'm in NYC at the beginning of May and I'll be going to see the Mets play the Diamondbacks. I'm used to watching baseball laying in bed with a cup of tea. It'll be interesting contrasting that with sitting in the cold night air eating hotdogs.
Old 04.10.2012, 10:32 PM   #1238
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh yeah, with baseball season just started you might enjoy the subscription.

about teh bundesliga there's only like 4 games left after tomorrow i think though. the german cup final is may 1st and it's bayern-dortmund again.

i already located my bar for this so looks like im gonna be having beer for lunch.

meanwhile, i hope this helps you w/ 'merican sports:

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...d_loc=Lond on

not sure what's what but eh.
Old 04.11.2012, 05:57 AM   #1239
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I'll be in NY on the 1st and will try to find a suitable bar to watch the German Cup final. Don't you follow any of the
Latin American leagues? There must be some great bars near you for that. And the food opportunities would likely be sublime even if the football isn't. And the hynas!!!
Old 04.11.2012, 03:53 PM   #1240
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh shit shit man, it was such a great game, but it was hard to see bayern lose. fuck! it was super fucking tight and then the goal and goal opportunities came in torrent. dortmund is fucking amazing though, credit given when it's due, they won fair and square. fucking bastards!
52596061 62 63646572112162562 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth