Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Any good 2008 jazz albums?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.15.2008, 04:29 PM   #41
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Looks like they're on this release:

http://www.amazon.com/Intuition-Lenn.../dp/B000005H6T

Listening to the Digression track, it doesn't really sound like free jazz, though I do see how it could be considered so.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 05:45 PM   #42
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Some Zappa stuff is definite jazz.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 07:07 PM   #43
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I honestly haven't heard a whole lot of jazz post-1965 that I like in the least, aside from some Sun Ra stuff.

Just about...

Most of the great jazz went by the wayside when Miles Davis, along with Herbie Hancock and the dreaded Chick Corea released In A Silent Way in '69. Then came Bitches Brew in '70 although it was also recorded in '69. Herbie Hancock, frustrated that his brilliant sixties material (Empyrean Isles, Maiden Voyage, Speak Like A Child) got him virtually nowhere financially, lamentably started playing fusion with The Headhunters in the early seventies. Coltrane, after his band had grown weary and wary and left him, did his late period cat-strangling with some notable moments.

As far as good jazz post '65 there are some titles. Miles' own On The Corner has held up well as a progressive standard bearer of sorts. Then you have some talented piano player ensembles like those put together by Keith Jarrett and later, Brad Mehldau. Bill Evans was still putting out decent material in the seventies, as was Warne Marsh and Horace Silver, but their best material was definitely earlier. To a lesser extent there's Joe Henderson and Ramsey Lewis. And of course, there's the smattering of truly worthwhile free jazz recordings which are often discussed at this board.

Last year saw the release of Cornell 1964 by the Mingus Sextet and a bunch of other high quality recordings of that European tour featuring the soon-to-be-late Dolphy circulated just last year. I've seen a few of the bootlegs in a local record store for around thirty dollars each. Blue Note has been reissuing many a great album lately. McCoy Tyner (who played piano during Coltrane's best era (and arranged most of the music as well)) came out with Quartet, Ron Carter (bassist for Miles and later, Herbie) released Dear Miles last year, Hancock put out an album of Joni Mitchell covers and Brad Mehldau had a couple of decent ones. In the free area, the monumental The First Original Silence was released, and Nels Cline Singers had Draw Breath; Ornette Coleman had Sound Grammar in '06.
But yeah, overall there's not a whole lot of great new material, or at least much that truly stacks up.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 07:25 PM   #44
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Atari, for the most part you're talking about what I'm talking about. First and foremost, there are tons of great re-issues and "lost albums" and live performances released every year, many of which including this pre-66 era. In fact, a great deal of the "new" jazz records I'm interested in are just this. New releases of overlooked, out-of-print or forgotten old albums. (Your reference of ON THE CORNER is wonderful.)

As for new stuff, good call on the Mehldau and SOUND GRAMMAR. There's lots of good jazz released (be it old/new recordings) every year, every day. Just gotta know where to look.
Old 07.15.2008, 07:43 PM   #45
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm afraid I didn't do jack concerning 2008 though.

Google sez Brotz' Tenet has released a 2007 recording this year, and there's a Sun Ra reissue. Herbie's on a U.S. tour and Mehldau's on a European one. I missed Herbie here and when I was visiting out West, even though I knew he was playing.

Kinda liked The Bad Plus covering Rush's "Tom Sawyer" last year, well, especially the crazy bridge part of their take on it.

Suppose it's been the fad for awhile now to cover rock songs. Mehldau's good at it.
Old 07.15.2008, 08:33 PM   #46
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
jazz is the best. i wonder if as i get older free jazz and improv jazz and avant jazz will be the only extreme music i listen too. i certainly cant see myself being 60 years old and popping in a government alpha/hijokaidan split. who knows though.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 09:34 PM   #47
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
Listening to the Digression track, it doesn't really sound like free jazz, though I do see how it could be considered so.
I can't really see it. I mean there are a couple of instances where the piano plays a bit randomly, but everything sounds to be playing cohesively.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2008, 03:40 AM   #48
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
polar bear have anew one out, always quality.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2008, 08:09 AM   #49
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Atari, I have the Sun Ra. It's excellent. He's in a standards kinda place on that one. Good good stuff.

I like The Bad Plus, but didn't pick up PROG. Is the rest of the album worth it?
Old 02.06.2010, 05:54 PM   #50
nowideau
little trouble girl

nowideau kicks all y'all's assesnowideau kicks all y'all's assesnowideau kicks all y'all's assesnowideau kicks all y'all's assesnowideau kicks all y'all's assesnowideau kicks all y'all's assesnowideau kicks all y'all's assesnowideau kicks all y'all's assesnowideau kicks all y'all's assesnowideau kicks all y'all's assesnowideau kicks all y'all's asses
Everyone here fails to mention Dave Holland's live album Extended Play, recovered post 2000, which in my opinion is one of the greatest jazz albums of any decade.
He would clear the rubble from the mouth of the shaft, he would bend the handle of the teaspoon in a loop and tie the string to it, he would lower it down the shaft deep into the earth, and when he brought it up there would be water in the bowl of the spoon; and in that way, he would say, one can live.

J.M. Coetzee, "Life and Times of Michael K"

Free music at: www.last.fm/music/Jacques+de+Villiers
nowideau is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2010, 09:17 AM   #51
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowideau
Everyone here fails to mention Dave Holland's live album Extended Play, recovered post 2000, which in my opinion is one of the greatest jazz albums of any decade.

I should start a ANY GOOD 2010 JAZZ ALBUMS thread. So far:

The Last Electro Acoustic Space Jazz Percussion Ensemble - Miles Away
Old 02.07.2010, 01:40 PM   #52
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Didn't jazz basically die around 1965?

wynton... is that you?
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2010, 10:47 AM   #53
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
"The earliest documented example of free-form improvisation is a pair of 1949 recordings for Capitol by a group led by Lennie Tristano, "Intuition" and "Digression." These do not, however, seem to have had a direct influence on the later free jazz movement."

Good 'ol Wikipedia.

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6878
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4267
Old 02.10.2010, 12:44 AM   #54
Assembly
empty page

Assembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's asses
How do folks feel about the Chicago scene? Frank Rosaly just released a great solo lp. I'm always down with Vandermark 5 and Frame Quartet and pretty much all those groups. Fred's Valentine Trio is always tops, too. There's a whole crop of slightly younger guys, too. Josh Berman and Paul Giallorenzo also released some nice albums under their own names.

Trying to think of other newer records I've been into...I'll stop back at this thread...I always love Barry Guy projects, too.
Assembly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2010, 08:43 AM   #55
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Vandermark is good.

I don't really know much about which jazz dudes are from which areas. I'm sort of aware of some current scenes, to a degree. But I'm lost geographically.

For instance... I'm very into the Thirsty Ear scene. All those dudes are amazing. The Blue Series Continuum is can't miss. I'd guess they're from NY?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth