Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page reading
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.28.2007, 04:55 AM   #1
musefreek
bad moon rising

musefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's asses
i went to reading festival for the day last sunday. the line up was pretty shit but i was there really to see the pumpkins and css. both those bands were good, but the one that REALLY caught me off guard was nine inch nails. caught the last half hour of their set and oh my god... those guys fuken RIPPED. have never really been a huge fan, but already went out and bought pretty hate machine yesterday. seriously, the place exploded when they played head like a hole.

trent looks pretty hot too these days.

musefreek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2007, 05:11 AM   #2
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
NIN are a great bad, their one flaw is they have a nasty habit of not turning up for gigs
RHCP were not up to their usual standard on saturday
Good atmosphere there generally though
ThePits is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2007, 05:27 AM   #3
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I have no idea at all what NIN are like these days. I liked their first couple of albums, but then lost interest in them at the same time as I lost interest in other nihilist-type bands. There's no denying that they make a pretty powerful noise though.

I'm intrigued to know, though, why did you buy an album that was released 15 or more years ago (which I assume can't be particularly representative of their current sound), and not their current one (which I assume is where the majority of the stuff that you heard at Reading would have come from).
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2007, 05:51 AM   #4
musefreek
bad moon rising

musefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's asses
because it's got Head like a Hole on it. Seriously, I can't even begin describe the atmosphere when they played that song.

I'm not THAT familiar with their back catalogue (well I am now after having downloaded the rest of the albums) and don't think that the NIN albums differ significantly from each other. Trent has always done his industrial rock thing.

Their set spanned their entire career, not just mostly from the last album.

They ended with Head like a Hole then trashed the stage, and then Trent came back for Hurt. Quite a moment.
musefreek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2007, 05:57 AM   #5
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Aah, Hurt.... That was the last song of theirs that I truly loved.

Anyway, I hope you don't think I'm being argumentative with that question - It's just that I would have imagined that Pretty Hate Machine would seem pretty tame after seeing them live now. That album could almost be something by mid-period Depeche Mode, and NIN developed quite quick after it.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth