Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page shitty sonic youth shows?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.24.2008, 08:00 PM   #61
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
anyways, back to the thread. when i saw them at arthurfest in LA a few years ago, the sound of the bass was this constant loud hum/buzz that ruined the whole thing. it was the first time i saw them and i was soo bummed out. it upsets me thinking about it now. anyways ive seen them since a few times and they were incredible. so yeah....
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2008, 08:33 PM   #62
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
bottomline: all the songs i've heard from nycg&f have been stellar.

so songwise, one of their best.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2008, 02:42 AM   #63
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
seen them live 5 times
never been disappointed

however on a side note, last time was for the DDN tour
the DDN stuff was so incredible and powerful that the RR encore sounded really weak in comparison, songwise and also in terms of pure energy.

it was still intersting to compare the syle of both LPs, they clearly don't compare although each has its qualities

i like it so much when they thrash Brother james at the end.
boner
Old 06.25.2008, 02:45 AM   #64
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
anyways, back to the thread. when i saw them at arthurfest in LA a few years ago, the sound of the bass was this constant loud hum/buzz that ruined the whole thing. it was the first time i saw them and i was soo bummed out. it upsets me thinking about it now. anyways ive seen them since a few times and they were incredible. so yeah....
I heard it they just turned it into a drone piece.

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2008, 08:44 AM   #65
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
I heard it they just turned it into a drone piece.

Yeah, the last "song" was a drone "piece". a piece of shit. like the rest of the set. but seriously when i saw them in sacto they were incredible, one of the best shows ive been too. the berkley ddn show was perfect, a little too perfect...
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 07:08 AM   #66
harlock_jds
little trouble girl

harlock_jds is a splendid one to beholdharlock_jds is a splendid one to beholdharlock_jds is a splendid one to beholdharlock_jds is a splendid one to beholdharlock_jds is a splendid one to beholdharlock_jds is a splendid one to behold
i saw them on the dirty tour (drove 3 hours to get to the show) and it was WAY short (like 45 minutes, hour max). easily one of the most disappointing shows I've ever seen.

As for bad SY albums I've been listening since sister and the only album i remember really being disappointed in was a thousand leaves... oddly enough i saw them on that tour and thought the show was one of the best I'd seen. Their show on the NYG&F tour (another album i wasn't wild about) was probably the best show of theirs I've seen but that could be attributed to them having sterolab opening.
harlock_jds is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 11:11 AM   #67
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
I loved a thousand leaves but it deffinitley had one or two throwaways on there, as do most albums.
Welcome to the board, try to avoid mentioning not liking NYC Ghosts and Flowers. They'll get mad at you... : p

Old 06.26.2008, 11:32 AM   #68
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
"The Ineffable Me" is my favorite ATL song.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 01:04 PM   #69
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

Hate to be generic, but you can't argue with sunday.
Hits of Sunshine is a beast though.

Old 06.26.2008, 01:24 PM   #70
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
The concert going experience is what you make of it. I think the prime factor in making a show shitty is the crowd, some crowds are great, others are complete shit.
Old 06.26.2008, 01:28 PM   #71
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

Yeah. The excessive moshing at the show I went to got me dehydrated (I had been standing out in the sun for a good five hours with nothing to drink) and I couldn't relaly enjoy the last part of the show because I felt sick.

I participated in it for a bit than stopped, but apparentlyt hat wasn't allowed.
Because everyone knows nothing is better to mosh to than "reena"...

Old 06.26.2008, 01:30 PM   #72
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
the last SY show I was at some huge chick dived over like three rows during Hey Joni shouting "Thurston Moore I Love you!" in the loudest, most horrible voice ever. She was sweating all over the place. Terrible.
Old 06.26.2008, 01:33 PM   #73
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

haha!
Yeah I got stuck next to the token shreiking girl when I went to see them.
At times she was louder than the band. I k ept on ramming into her on purpose but she wouldn't leave.

I hate floozies.

Show was AMAZING though... I may be talking shit but I did love the set.

Old 06.26.2008, 01:34 PM   #74
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
My friend Norton LOVES Sonic Youth, he got me into them by burning me confusion is sex about 8 years ago... I mean, seriously, that's his favorite album of all time.. and he went and saw them once and was like, "Eh, they were really shit. I still love them though." Always made me wonder...

Have you ever seen the band live and thought they sucked ass?

His favorite is Confusion, thus the less than favorable concert review.

CIS my third fave and, as I recall, one of your most favorite too, A.

Just assume the voice of Gleason's Ralph Kramden and shake your fist at him (Norton) a little.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 01:37 PM   #75
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
haha!
Yeah I got stuck next to the token shreiking girl when I went to see them.
At times she was louder than the band. I k ept on ramming into her on purpose but she wouldn't leave.

I hate floozies.

Show was AMAZING though... I may be talking shit but I did love the set.

The girl directly next to me had her fingers in her ears the entire time and was wearing a VU shirt. I thought that was odd.
Old 06.26.2008, 01:42 PM   #76
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
ATL's great and so were the shows...
Old 06.26.2008, 02:49 PM   #77
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Saw them twice of which one show was shitty. Well not exactly shitty but more like not impressing. They were kinda tired though.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth