Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page TORONTO 30/06/09 Setlist..what a fucking surprise.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.01.2009, 12:17 PM   #41
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Was this shot by anyone on here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojRgNfBRR4g

Saw DV69 at my first ever SY show. Nice trip back.

That was freaking awesome. I love the lighting too.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 12:22 PM   #42
Zombie Robot
expwy. to yr skull

Zombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's asses
all these posts about the shows are getting me so excited. thanks for sharing. dv69! its been awhile.
Zombie Robot is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 12:25 PM   #43
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
I can't wait until tomorrow!

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 12:35 PM   #44
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
As per DV 69. For me it was just hearing the song live. Because the studio tracks are old and somewhat dubious to begin with the live performance brought the song back to life....

It would be interesting to hear freshly revisited/remixed/remastered tracks from the DV/Evol era.

Though that would probably cause fan infighting and tears
Old 07.01.2009, 12:43 PM   #45
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Man, I need to stop reading other setlists for bands I've seen recently - now I feel gypped by both Neil Young & SY after seeing what they've played since Primavera a few weeks back - I would've fucking exploded if they'd pulled out DV 69 then
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 12:56 PM   #46
LunarTunes
empty page

LunarTunes has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedName
- Not sure what song it was, maybe thunderclap but it was a really melodic song and was so immensely beautiful...my eyes were tearing up.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest it may have been "Antenna". That's probably my favourite song on the new record and it's certainly melodic. But I love the part before the verse starts where all the guitars are strumming those awesome chords!...

Oh, and I was in the front row and the vocals were definitely low from down there, too. It would have been nice to hear them a bit more but it didn't bug me or anything...

Peace.
LunarTunes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 01:34 PM   #47
thunderbird
empty page

thunderbird has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
sooo jealous. my favorite sy song. damn i was at the royal oak show i should've gone to toronto as well!!

and that's a great pic w/ lee!
thunderbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 01:38 PM   #48
sergisonic
children of satan

sergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
Okay, I'd forgotten why I don't enjoy 'Death Valley' live (as much as most of you, it would seem!) until the 'Walls Have Ears' version w/ Lee singing Lydia's part randomly (!) came on the ol' digital jukebox...and that's why...it's a duet! And they haven't played it as a duet since 1985!

Does anyone agree? Is the crowd supposed to sing Lydia's part or something? Don't get me wrong, it sounds fine and most of the tension of the original recording is still there, but I guess I just don't see why they don't take advantage of it...? Especially now that every song in the set is a fucking duet! Ha! Ha!

EDIT: Okay, in classic idiot form I posted that before I watched the Toronto vid. Holy shit!!!!!!! Now THAT gets me excited!!!!

But on the FIB'98 show they (all of 3) sing DV'69...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygIELGqX2dk

(hehehe, i was there...)
sergisonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 01:47 PM   #49
midnightosix
empty page

midnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's assesmidnightosix kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the setlist. It was an amazing concert!!!!
midnightosix is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 02:11 PM   #50
UsedName
empty page

UsedName has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
can anyone confirm this setlist? i could have sworn there were one or two more songs.
UsedName is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 02:35 PM   #51
mattmacneil
little trouble girl

mattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedName
can anyone confirm this setlist? i could have sworn there were one or two more songs.

I was updating it on my phone as they were playin em.
This is the full setlist.

mattmacneil is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 03:03 PM   #52
eternal
bad moon rising

eternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asses
I can confirm! i managed to score a setlist, despite probably being one of the shortest people there, i was pretty thrilled about it!

Ok, the concert: absolutely mindblowing! I was a little skeptical of the seated venue of Massey Hall, but we ended standing the whole time anyways and the sound was amazing! I was infront of Lee in the 3rd row. I can see why people thought the vocals may have been a bit low if you were in the back, but i was in the 3rd row and they sounded perfect to me (not too high, the guitars are most important for SY anyways).

The setlist was very good too! i do wish they had played a couple more oldies and a little less eternal (the whole album is probably not necessary). I was hoping to hear my absolute favourites (Cross the breeze/Hey Joni) but i will probably never see Death Valley 69 live again so i'm perfectly ok with it. DV69 was by far the highlight of the night. I actually had no idea what they were playing for about 10 seconds- i was so caught off guard and was NOT expecting it at all, it was great and i completely lost my shit. Other highlights were Massage, No way, Malibu gas station, tom violence. She is not alone was also absolutely amazing, a fantastic way to open and i love how they make it sound so different everytime they play it. I saw Kim put on the thunderbird first and was just thinking "SHIT, we are in for something special here"

Another thing i really loved was the variety of the crowd at this show in particular. There were young, old, REALLY old, almost equal genders, people in band shirts, people in gothic clothes, people in Abercrombie. This guy with the biggest hair ever was infront of us just jammin away with an oldie standing beside him in disbelief-it was awesome, props to that guy. It's amazing the range of people that Sonic Youth touches.

I have more pictures too. They're on my facebook though, i dont feel like uploading them again to Flickr or something, but feel free to look (i am not the best photographer, but theres some cool shots).
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&l=c34346bf5f

One of the best nights of my life- i really do hope they tour again!
eternal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 03:47 PM   #53
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
oh shit!

awesome setlist!

dv69, thunderclap, she is not alone, pch!

hope there are recordings of that songs.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 04:02 PM   #54
mattmacneil
little trouble girl

mattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal
DV69 was by far the highlight of the night. I actually had no idea what they were playing for about 10 seconds- i was so caught off guard and was NOT expecting it at all, it was great and i completely lost my shit.

That's EXACTLY what happened with me. I also seriously lost my fucking shit.

mattmacneil is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 04:24 PM   #55
eternal
bad moon rising

eternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmacneil
That's EXACTLY what happened with me. I also seriously lost my fucking shit.

it was an amazing moment.
eternal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 04:33 PM   #56
tough titty
little trouble girl

tough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's asses
Just got back home from my trip to Toronto and I have to say it was an amazing show (as usual)! I will share audio, video and my girlfriend's photos of the show as soon as I get organized and transfer everything. I can't wait for Virgin Fest in Vancouver!..
tough titty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 06:43 PM   #57
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Super pissed I missed this show
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 06:57 PM   #58
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergisonic
But on the FIB'98 show they (all of 3) sing DV'69...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygIELGqX2dk

(hehehe, i was there...)

I'm not talking about the chorus, which they've always sung as a group, but the back-and-forth between Thurston and Lydia which, up until now, has always just been sung by Thurston as a single vocal since '85.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 07:04 PM   #59
the red terror
empty page

the red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal
i do wish they had played a couple more oldies and a little less eternal (the whole album is probably not necessary).

I disagree. The way it seems to work, if you don't catch the current albums' tracks on the tour, you're unlikely to hear a single one of them again for 15 years. So I wanna hear ALL the songs from the new album. A few obscure oldies, and some "classic" faves for an encore makes it perfect.

I fully concur with what Lee is attributed to have said (below - see review excerpt). If SY played too many oldies, I would've probably given up seeing them every tour over a decade ago, and only attended once-in-a-while. I understand that others may feel differently, but as their live song-selection policy has stood for the past 20 years, I for one am guaranteed to return for every tour, because every tour set is *completely* different from ALL the other tours that preceeded it.

From today's (mostly positive) review in the National Post:

Quote:
In fact, Ranaldo has stated that “the band would die” if it were to follow the Rolling Stones model of filling 90% of its set with old songs. “Once the summer comes and we’ve got the new record learned, we’ll be playing 75-80% songs written in the last two years. It's not as if we’re existing on a back catalogue, on reminiscence.”

the red terror is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 07:05 PM   #60
MoneyCity
empty page

MoneyCity has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
It was a great show and I really enjoyed it.

I was up in the gallery and agree that the vocals were very muddled throughout the show. Guitars and drums sounded great. It's been a while since I've been to an SY show, and I was once again enthralled with Steve's drumming, Lee's guitar playing, Thurston's ability to hump a string instrument!! And of course everything that is Kim Gordon. I love her.

The sound, during the encores, seemed to falter though. To give you an example, from where I was seated, it took me a while to realize they were playing Death Valley 69 - the sound was so muddled...at first I thought it was Kool Thing........yeah, I know. I felt stupid.

I'll edit to add that I would rather go to Massey Hall then the Kool Hause....anyday.

But I loves me some Sonic Youth and loved hearing the new record.

I definitely wont allow as much time to pass for my next SY concert.
MoneyCity is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth