Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page reassessing scissor shock
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.22.2010, 06:23 PM   #81
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
i put effort into mine. and this is what you come up with.
I know I know. Which is more laughable because you spend your time writing a bunch of bollocks like that on the internet which you hate so much. Pfftwhohahahahaha......HAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh my aching sides...WHOHAHAHAHAHA!HAHAHA!!!
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2010, 06:32 PM   #82
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
i dont hate the internet, but i do wish sometimes it had more to offer.

troll me once...
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2010, 06:39 PM   #83
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Did you not post that you were fucking off somewhere never to be seen on here again because some of us strip you of your (oh so) high intellect? Well, what the fuck are you still doing on here writing that unfunny shit then? Eh? Eh? Whohahahahahahahahahaha.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2010, 01:23 AM   #84
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Blastitude issue # 29 will be publishing a review of the new Scissor Shock album. Here is the first, unedited rough draft of the review:
    • SCISSOR SHOCK Psychic Existentialism CDR (FOR NOISE'S SAKE) Nutty stuff from a one-man project, short tracks that sound like they each have about 1,002 edits, with the raw material being live instrumentation (the dude sounds like a pretty a...ccomplished classical/acoustic guitar player), computer clicks and clacks, maybe samples from film music, and maybe hundreds of more sources... I don't know. It reminds me of Synclavier-era Frank Zappa, Conlon Nancarrow, John Oswald's Plexure... but the thing I like about it is that for all the over-the-topness, it's still not trying to be the loudest and craziest thing in the room. There's a delicacy and patience to it that makes it an enjoyable listen, as well as an appealingly airy acoustic quality to the sonics. My only criticism is that the album is 32 minutes long, which is normally a good length but not so much when the music has this much (as Zappa would say) "statistical density" to it.
  • "Psychic Existentialism" review by VITAL WEEK:

"Scissor Shock is a project of Adam Cooley from Columbus, Indiana and releases music since 2003. The music on the album "Psychic Existentialist" can be described as Frank Zappa full speed forward. Thirteen songs, varying from extremely short (twenty-three seconds) to about nine minutes fill the album. The musician experiments a lot with guitar, voice, synthesizer, drummachine and more. It is a kind of free-jazz, rock with weirdo combinations and structures, humor and an excellent feeling of timing. For me this album is a great surprise! (JKH)"

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2010, 02:27 PM   #85
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
I've gotta say, Tearing Wings Off of a Pigeon really sounds like tearing wings off of a pigeon.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2010, 02:54 PM   #86
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
no idea who made this but

http://drownedinsound.com/community/.../music/4271013

PSYCHIC EXISTENTIALISM = ALBUM OF THE YEAR thread

Old 11.12.2010, 03:27 PM   #87
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Cementemental. You're friends with him on facebook. Bad internetting, Herr Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2010, 01:03 AM   #88
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I actually didn't notice the CENTIMENTAL name until i'd postd that. and what's weird is, tim never told me he dug the album, so i guess i just never connected the two.

quite cool.

Old 11.17.2010, 01:08 AM   #89
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

excellent review by CLIMAX GOLDEN TWINS (Rob Millis/Jeffrey Taylor/Sun City Girls producer Scott Colburn)

First of all:
I was impressed by the song titles. "Codeine Dream of Sunset Eyeball" "Ghost with Shit Electronics" "Bring back the guillotine" Already you know you are dealing with top shelf material. But in this case the top shelf ripped out of the wall and is now spread all over the floor, and probably brained someone on the way down.
Second of all:
I worry that you might have some issues. Tearing the wings off of a pigeon? What, without eating it afterward? This is clearly a waste and the French, being ultimately pigeon and snail eaters, would not appreciate it. But I suspect that perhaps you do not appreciate the French so my point here is moot. Then again, there is the Guillotine number and mentions of existentialism. Perhaps there is a European outlook after all. A yearning for the old country. A philosophical bent. Just whose heads will be chopped in the guillotine? But this perhaps is a question for a different day, after the cake eating has been resolved. "No bread? Let them listen to Scissor Schock"
Finally:
This does indeed bring me back to the climax golden twins of yore, with cut up electronics and broken samples, crossed wires, missed connections and confused ambiance, all extremely well sliced and diced layered, discombobulated and edited. You will be hearing from our lawyers.

CGT

Old 11.17.2010, 03:41 AM   #90
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2010, 09:50 AM   #91
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

HEY ALL

FREE DOWNLOAD ALERT!!!!

FREE DOWNLOAD ALERT!!!!

FREE DOWNLOAD ALERT!!!!

FREE DOWNLOAD ALERT!!!!

FREE DOWNLOAD ALERT!!!!

SUMMER SYNONYM SESSION SONGS, from 2008!

http://www.mediafire.com/?8e8voy65je0dutt

This is 22 songs recorded around the time of scissor shock's violent fucked up album "synonym for the word decay" (which is our most abrasive and violent album, not our best but these songs were written to be played live. They were played live many rimes and they've since been quietly retired). This is SS at our most no wave... I would bring a riff and a beat to a guy's house every week .ONE TAKE. I'd program some drums, play ONE TAKE of guitar. FIX NO MISTAKES. I'd play some bass/organ ONE TAKE. No fixing of any mistakes at all, and trust me, there are mistakes galore. Booe would play trombone or trumpet. And then I'd yell some lyrics, usually from poems I wrote right then or something we read out of a book. The vocals would be done through a telephone. It's basically.. instant-music. It has an energy and urgency that I'm proud of. The horns sound like they're dying. The drum machine is stuttering and fucked up. The guitars could tear off your enamel (yet are mostly clean). The bratty annoying telephone and megaphone vocals are like Arto Lindsay getting it on with Don Van Vliet. All in all, it sounds like a very very Beefheart-as-covered-by-Red-Transistors. Even if you're not usually into Scissor Shock, you'll probably enjoy this collection.

Features all the songs from the Shearing Pinx split, as well as the Bubblegum Octopus split and a few other bands. Also has some tracks only on comps before. Even some urneleased songs. These are some of my favorite songs, and this is sound I won't be returning to, since I am going to continue to make the band more complex and musical. But if your favorite side of SS is the violent out of control side of the band, this might be your album of choice. Will probably not see an official release, so enjoy. Only 36mb or so.

Old 11.21.2010, 12:22 PM   #92
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
woop! Thanks, Adam.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2010, 02:12 AM   #93
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

no problem

Old 11.26.2010, 03:05 AM   #95
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

hey marocs i just emailed your facebook

Old 11.26.2010, 03:09 AM   #96
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
schizo and every-n in the same week, the world is coming to an end!
B-WARE!
B*WITCHED!
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2010, 06:37 PM   #97
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Hi Nic.

Adam, I can't get in Facebook at work, will read and respond properly later.

By the way: Scissor Shock/Bubblegum Octopus tape. January 2011. Set in stone.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2010, 06:43 PM   #98
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

cool dude, it's nothing important, just lots of ranting and explaining what's been going on with me and some other people.

i sent you the new ss if you didn't have it

www.mediafire.com/?b28upiail4y5a57

it's only 32 minures long. par for the course it sounds completely different than the last few albums. in the email i told you about my correspondence with a pitchfork dude about the album haha.

Old 11.26.2010, 07:04 PM   #100
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

oh, word

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth