Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page how do you react to racism?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.22.2010, 06:11 PM   #121
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
floatingslowly: preserver of verme gems.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2010, 06:18 PM   #122
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I dislike you a little bit for saying this.

I dislike arguing a little bit.
atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2010, 07:17 PM   #123
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
The UK has the worst underage sex rates in Europe according to the World Health Organisation. So sex education does make kids wanna fuck.

Kids in other parts of Europe do not get sex education?

Really? Pictures of scabby genitals make people wanna fuck?

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2010, 07:23 PM   #124
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
If I sit around here all day talking about how racism is wrong without a reason for bringing that up is one thing. Another thing is not allowing people to get away with saying their stupidities in my presence.

Old 06.22.2010, 08:25 PM   #125
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
I tend to ignore it, unless faced with it directly (then I either leave or keep my mouth shut...most of the time). It's all over the place + arguing with the ignorant almost always ends w/ fruitless results....even if sometimes fun.

I live in Bible Belt, USA. It gets stupid. I know people that won't eat at Cracker Barrel just because "Cracker" falls under the moniker.

I find the whole subject really sad, yeah, but also really tiring.

It's been around since the beginning of time, and until when/if we all become one race (which will inevitably happen, taken we survive long enough) it will always be around. Sucks, but then again so does homophobia, xenophobia, etc-o-phobia. There will always be those that are uncomfortable w/ those that aren't like them. Everyone is, sometimes. Despite shit I've said in the past, people really are often products of their environment.

Only way to speed up the process of fixing things (as far as I can tell) is more interracial relationships, that...or people just waking up and getting past what are often small-fry cultural differences + bullshit their grandparents/parents told 'em.

I still don't want kids. This place is scary.
ann ashtray is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2010, 08:39 PM   #126
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
I live by the 'ignorant people who don't want help can't be helped'.

I don't see a terrible amount of racism. I work for first-generation immigrants from Cambodia and Laos who employ mainly Cambodian, Ecuadorian, and Mexican staff and we all get a long great. The language barrier is substantial sometimes but there's no problems. I'm thankful I don't have a boss like prior food jobs I've had where they think because I'm white, I want to hear their racist remarks. I usually respond with something non-confrontational like "I love my mexican ladies." and walk away.

However, in Willmar, the shithole town I'm originally from, the racism was abundant. Our Somali refugees and Mexican laborers were segregated to the dirty old buildings downtown. They open up their great little bakeries and restaurants, and the white rednecks steer clear of them.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2010, 08:41 PM   #127
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
In America, where most of these racial issue play out, the issue is not with the color of their skin per se, but in their values. Take the murder of Detroit rapper Proof for example.

On April 11, 2006, Proof was killed by a gunshot to the head at the CCC Club in Detroit, Michigan by club bouncer Mario Etheridge after Proof allegedly shot U.S. Army veteran Keith Bender, Jr.

While playing a game Proof and Bender got into a heated argument. After a physical altercation, Etheridge fired his gun into the air to try and stop the situation, but Proof shot Bender in the head. Etheridge, who was Bender's cousin, then shot Proof three times in the head and chest. Proof was killed instantly, and Bender died a week later. Bender's family began a wrongful death suit against Proof's estate. Etheridge was held by authorities to have been acting in lawful defense of another man; however, he was guilty of carrying a concealed weapon and discharging a firearm inside a building. Etheridge was released in October 2006 after being sentenced to time served and a $2000 fine.

Several months later, hip-hop magazine
XXL published an alternative account of the evening in a feature article interviewing Proof's friend, Mudd (Reginald Moorer), who accompanied Proof on the night of the shooting and claimed to have brought the gun that was used to kill Bender. Mudd claimed that his group went to the CCC Club after going to a strip club, began drinking and that Proof played pool against Bender. He observed Proof and Bender arguing, noting that it was "ordinary for Proof to get drunk and fight". After they were separated, Mudd claimed Bender hit Proof and a fight between the two broke out. Shortly afterward, Mudd saw Etheridge shoot his gun straight up into the air to break up the fight. Proof then demanded Mudd's gun, and after he refused, pulled the weapon from Mudd's pants and also fired into the air. Mudd claimed that Bender charged Proof, and that in the scuffle shots were fired that hit both Bender and Proof.

Is it not lost on people that this crime seems to embody the disparity in values? It shows that they are alive and have strong feelings. Strong enough to kill.

Let me further explain my point that some people are not ideological racists, but practical racists. They do believe in the equality of all human beings, but don't want others in their area. I also think that 'traditional racism' only re-affirms the allegiance and solidarity of the offending group. In the same way that trashing Mets fans is the favorite pastime of Yankee fans.

Though American history is soaked in racial blood, I don't see it going that far away. Maybe in the closet. The same as in England with the people from South East Asia. Racism is just as required now as it was in the 1800s to preserve the genes of those who have a vested interest in it. See David Cameron.

If you look at David Cameron, newly elected leader of Britain, he is not exactly born at the back of a Kebab house. He comes from generations of British aristocracy and his sons and daughters will probably follow suit. I don't agree with this but it is reality. I especially don't agree with institutional racism. Both the US and Canada are beacons of hope for this is not at play as much as other countries. When certain groups are alienated from the pie that is an issue.

And to those who are against racism. Do you really believe that it is what it seems on the surface? It is a preventative measure. Look at David Camerons lineage and you will understand what I mean by practical racism.

Old 06.22.2010, 08:49 PM   #128
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
In America, where most of these racial issue play out, the issue is not with the color of their skin per se, but in their values. Take the murder of Detroit rapper Proof for example.

On April 11, 2006, Proof was killed by a gunshot to the head at the CCC Club in Detroit, Michigan by club bouncer Mario Etheridge after Proof allegedly shot U.S. Army veteran Keith Bender, Jr.

While playing a game Proof and Bender got into a heated argument. After a physical altercation, Etheridge fired his gun into the air to try and stop the situation, but Proof shot Bender in the head. Etheridge, who was Bender's cousin, then shot Proof three times in the head and chest. Proof was killed instantly, and Bender died a week later. Bender's family began a wrongful death suit against Proof's estate. Etheridge was held by authorities to have been acting in lawful defense of another man; however, he was guilty of carrying a concealed weapon and discharging a firearm inside a building. Etheridge was released in October 2006 after being sentenced to time served and a $2000 fine.

Several months later, hip-hop magazine
XXL published an alternative account of the evening in a feature article interviewing Proof's friend, Mudd (Reginald Moorer), who accompanied Proof on the night of the shooting and claimed to have brought the gun that was used to kill Bender. Mudd claimed that his group went to the CCC Club after going to a strip club, began drinking and that Proof played pool against Bender. He observed Proof and Bender arguing, noting that it was "ordinary for Proof to get drunk and fight". After they were separated, Mudd claimed Bender hit Proof and a fight between the two broke out. Shortly afterward, Mudd saw Etheridge shoot his gun straight up into the air to break up the fight. Proof then demanded Mudd's gun, and after he refused, pulled the weapon from Mudd's pants and also fired into the air. Mudd claimed that Bender charged Proof, and that in the scuffle shots were fired that hit both Bender and Proof.

Is it not lost on people that this crime seems to embody the disparity in values? It shows that they are alive and have strong feelings.

Let me further explain my point that some people are not ideological racists, but practical racists. They do believe in the equality of all human beings, but don't want others in their area.

this thread is a joke, right?
it's a pratical joke on me.
i'm not falling for it.

Old 06.22.2010, 09:06 PM   #129
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
I live in Arizona, where racism is about to be state sanctioned. Suffice to say, I need the fuck out.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2010, 09:11 PM   #130
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
The word values is a wrong word choice. But if two races live radically different lives and make radically different life choices the consequences are going to lead to ethnic conflict when they mix. It will sometimes spill over into violence. That is my point.
Old 06.22.2010, 09:19 PM   #131
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

the ignorant almost always ends w/ fruitless results....even if sometimes fun.
I live in Bible Belt, USA. It gets stupid. I know people that won't eat at Cracker Barrel just because "Cracker" falls under the moniker.

Exactly my point. If you are looking for some to put intellectual integrity before race it is not going to happen. People create false phobias and fears to justify their racism. See Senator McCarthy.
Old 06.22.2010, 09:22 PM   #132
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Everyone should have to eat MDMA and hang out with a group with one member from each race. Like, it should be a law.

Old 06.22.2010, 09:29 PM   #133
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

why not? what are you scared of for your daughter, that she might expand her own cultural horizons beyond your own expectations of her?

Well, I would love to expand my cultural horizions and become a more appreciative, well rounded person. I could benefit from that.

But the logic of most 'practical racists' is that cultural horizions is a nice place to visit, but wouldn't want live there.
Old 06.22.2010, 09:37 PM   #134
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

I am jumping off the crazy end here but here goes. Case Study of practical racism: Yao Ming.
The following is taken from Operation Yao Ming.

Thus in 1980, Yao was born to the tallest couple in China, the result of matchmaking that carried with it the dark shadow of eugenics.

So again, Yao Mings parents probably appreciate cultures of the world, even travel, but when it is time to create babies, they seek out like.
Practical, preventive racists.
Old 06.22.2010, 10:06 PM   #135
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadetHayden
Everyone should have to eat MDMA and hang out with a group with one member from each race. Like, it should be a law.

So true. Lil Wayne and Rush Limbaugh would be bros after an E roll, discussing the pros and cons of Opiate use.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2010, 10:12 PM   #136
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

Can you imagine Rush's line on a Weezy track about Fentanyl?

Old 06.22.2010, 10:35 PM   #137
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Mm, makin me hungry.
atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2010, 03:28 AM   #138
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
The UK has the worst underage sex rates in Europe according to the World Health Organisation. So sex education does make kids wanna fuck.

every kid in belgium gets a thorough education on sex, its consequences and anticonception these days.

still, the average age they have their first time is 17.

sex education makes kids more aware of sex, but teens are balls of hormones. they are going to do it anyway, and it's best to give them the right information so they'll be safe.

just look at the places in the states where they refuse to give any sex education for religious matters and compare this with the number of teen pregnancies.

i remember getting educated very well in high school. every biological aspect was explained, and we discussed most of the anticonception possibilities (pros and contras)

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2010, 03:33 AM   #139
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
so what are you trying to say? if someone is "awesome" i'm suppose to tollerate them being racist? no racist person can be "awesome", that just cancels the whole thing out.

doesn't directly involve me? - so i'm only supposed to care about racism if i'm a victim of it?

i'm supposed to shut up and let them be their racism-but-awesome selves without even mentioning how disgusting it is?

this is why the world is a rotting bumhole.

yeah.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2010, 03:36 AM   #140
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
i live in a relatively small city with about 160 different nationalities. it has never bothered me because i've never known any different. in every school in the city there are tons of different races. heck, it's even hard to find a so-called 'belgian' who doesn't have anything foreign in him (i'm a mix of french and spanish, my boyfriend has greek, british and norwegian roots etc etc)

the most racist comments i've heard come from my parents' generation or even older people. they have seen all these nationalities arrive and it scares them because it's different. the youngsters that talk like them are usually the ones that live in the 'safe' suburbs with barely any immigration, and they talk about the city like people get killed there on every corner by scary turkish people.

of course there are problems with immigrants. when you put ten different families with ten different views on morals in one street there is going to be friction. but belgians tend to forget that the majority of these immigrants try to learn the language, find a job and have a normal life here. it's just that you never see them in the media.

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth