Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page 7-10-06 @ the forum
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.11.2006, 02:46 PM   #1
scaat
empty page

scaat has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
WHAT THE FUNK happened to Sonic Youth at the forum last night? Did Eddie eat them? That was the ONLY reason I bought $60 tickets to shitty pearl Jum was to see Sonic.... and they didn't play? I was there at 7 and waited 2 hours with nothing but stupid fucking PJ fans being idiots at the WORST venue EVER... the Forum

What happened?!?!?!?!?! reparations!!!

Theres always tonight on Jimmy Kimmel..... BOOOOOO!!!!!

One very diappointed fan,
Scaat
scaat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
WHAT?!?!?!
Wow, that's horrible news.
I wonder if Thurston's cold made him really sick.

"Yes, I am a fag. Thanks for noticing!"
--HaydenAsche
Gookid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 03:13 PM   #3
mikec
bad moon rising

mikec has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
wow. that does really suck. sorry that had to happen.
mikec is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 03:18 PM   #4
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah I missed them when they opened for PJ in 2000 in DC when Kim and Thurston had to leave on an emergency.....of course I was there to see PJ just as much as SY because I hadn't seen them before and I have always loved them. You should have heard all the idiots clapping when it was announced that SY wouldn't be playing.....I was like "Nooooo!" Anyway, that sucks man.
Old 07.11.2006, 03:42 PM   #5
Booger
empty page

Booger has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Sonic Youth opened with Schizophrenia exactly at 7:30.

Unfortunatley I was still going thru security at that time and could just hear the loud drumming.

One of my all time favorite songs ever...of any band.

They played exactly 45 mins and clocked out at 8:15.

I was bummed but knew what to expect as seeing the short set list from previous PJ- coupled shows.

It was kinda weird to see such a legendary band playing to a stadium of only about 20% full as all the PJ fans were tailgating.

Sonic Youth was good and tight- much differnet than the last time I saw them in San Diego with Mudhoney 15 years ago on their "Year that Punk Broke" Tour...or whatever it was officilally called back then.

Biggest contrast between Sonic Youth and Pearl Jam was the fact that Sonic Youth totally relied on their music to impress vs Pearl Jam that relied on 80'guitar-guy-Mike McCready running around looking like a fool, Eddie playing his guitar over his head, etc.

But....A band as dynamic and great as Pearl Jam can pull it off as they can go deep down multiple avenues.

Having said that, Pearl Jam put on a good show, even though they are as trendy and mainstream as a band can get- thus attract masses of peeps that dont even care about the music but attend for other reasons, for better or worse.

Highlight of the night was seeing a blind kid living it up and having his buddies lead him around.

And Yeah, The Forum sucks.......there is no easy way to get there as the infrastructure to get to the place is in a "less fortunate" part of town thus no attention to improve from tax money.....and the inside of the Forum is old, cramped corridors, GIGANTIC on the floor though thus few good seats..

The parking lot is gnarly as there are few exits and the parking spaces havent been changed in 30 years thus they were created eons before the modern, larger cars took over Southern California.

Luckily I left 20 mins before Peal Jam quit.

Sonic Youth deserved way better than what they got.
Booger is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 04:58 PM   #6
mikec
bad moon rising

mikec has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
well that was confusing.
mikec is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 06:30 PM   #7
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
yeah so did they play or not?
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 06:39 PM   #8
Booger
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
yeah so did they play or not?

yes.
Old 07.11.2006, 09:09 PM   #9
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
So what, did Scaat just not pay attention? Cuz he says he was there at 7 pm and Booger (hehehe, Revenge of the Nerds) says they started at 7:30. Someone either has their info screwed up or someone wasn't paying attention. Strange...

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 09:44 PM   #10
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
So what, did Scaat just not pay attention? Cuz he says he was there at 7 pm and Booger (hehehe, Revenge of the Nerds) says they started at 7:30. Someone either has their info screwed up or someone wasn't paying attention. Strange...
How can you like...not pay attention and miss a whole concert?
Old 07.11.2006, 09:45 PM   #11
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
He probably was just in the parking lot?

--HaydenAsche
Old 07.11.2006, 09:49 PM   #12
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Haha. Best thread ever.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 11:21 PM   #13
matt reeder
little trouble girl

matt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's asses
As much as I love Pearl Jam, a lot of their fans suck. Feel free to give them a huge bag of shit every time they rip on Sonic Youth.
matt reeder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2006, 12:11 AM   #14
Booger
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip

Or the original poster is a troll

Im not making anything up.

more details....

It was virtually pitch black once inside so the colored lights on stage were sweet.

Off the top of my head they played...

Schizophrenia
Turqoise Boy (not my favorite so I went to the bathroom during it)
Jams Run Free
Rats
Incinerate
Reena

and one other I couldnt recognize.

As you know, Mark Ibold was playing base and Kim would play base for half the songs and most of the time they were playing the same base line so it was fairly pronounced.

And as I stated earlier, it was weird to see them play with basically no audience- I must be getting old as I still see these guys/girl as legendary creative/punk rock/ masters of atmosphere and mood rock icons so I was shocked to see so few people inside and so many pearl jam fans more interested in drinking in a fucking parking lot.

The band didnt really talk to the audience besides Thurston before their last song just mentioning the names of all the band members.
Old 07.12.2006, 12:29 AM   #15
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
At the Filter show he introduced himself as Steve Jones or something. Does he always do that?
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2006, 12:30 AM   #16
Gookid
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
At the Filter show he introduced himself as Steve Jones or something. Does he always do that?
umm..no

--HaydenAsche
Old 07.12.2006, 12:35 AM   #17
Daddylikes
the end of the ugly

Daddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87

Thurston has a habit of frequently mis-introducing the band or their songs in his stage banter. (Of course, he was more fond of doing it in the 80's-->early 90's than he has been of late)

Of course you realize that Steve Jones was in the Sex Pistols.
Daddylikes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2006, 12:37 AM   #18
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I know, I couldn't remember if that's who he said, though. I just didn't know if he did that all the time.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2006, 12:40 AM   #19
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses
scat was prob hanging w/such friends before the show and was too baked to realize sy was even playing. fuck the shitstem. jah bless and all that good shit...
soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2006, 12:45 AM   #20
swimsuitissue
little trouble girl

swimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-festswimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-festswimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger
Sonic Youth opened with Schizophrenia exactly at 7:30. Sonic Youth deserved way better than what they got.
Exactly! They went on stage right at 7:30 PM and played for approximately 45 minutes! It was great listening to the new songs!
11/19/88 Hollywood, CA; 08/017/90 Hollywood, CA; 09/26/92 Castaic Lake, CA; 07/23/00 Los Angeles, CA; 07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/28/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/20/07 Los Angeles, CA

Television: chewing gum for the eyes. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright
swimsuitissue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth