Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Pre-Corporate Ghost DVD?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.23.2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Palmer Eldritch
little trouble girl

Palmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's asses
Hello,
Excuse me if this has been posted before.
Does anyone know if there is a pre-Corporate Ghost DVD mooted.
Perhaps even a Screaming Fields of Sonic Love deluxe.
I'd like that.
Almost as much as i like the word 'mooted'.
R
Old 01.23.2008, 02:47 PM   #2
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
DVD???
i know there is a VHS.
mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
don;t know what "mooted" means

however, the sonic youth have several VHS releases you can find

Screaming Fields of Sonic Love have videos pre-Geffen. It fucking rules.
GOO has videos of every song on the album GOO. it rules just slightly less. Mote is the greatest video ever.
Gila Monster jamboree is a live recording of Bad Moon Rising era sonic youth playing in the desert and freaking out the wanna-be's. It fucking rules too.
1991 The Year Punk Broke is a tour doc showing sonic youth mudhoney, nirvana, dinosaur an dothers on tour i festivals in europe. it rules all.

none of these are available on official DVD, but if you are one of those fake ass fans that get yr music from torrent downloads or file sharing or buys bootleg dvd's made by transferring the VHS to a ciomputer there are ways to find them.
Old 01.23.2008, 08:31 PM   #4
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Per the back of Corporate Ghost:

"SY's pre-sellout "independent" videography forthcoming"

---which will essentially be a DVD version of "Screaming Fields", though it'll be interesting to see if they repackage/retitle it (I'm sure they'll amp up the content, so a new title may be appropriate).

In any case, I doubt this is their biggest priority at the moment, but shit... Corporate Ghost is four years old now!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 12:10 AM   #5
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I've wanted "Screaming Fields..." for a while, but I couldn't find it anywhere, not even eBay, so a possible DVD release is exciting.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 03:54 AM   #6
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
but dvd realese will not show in near future, as chris lawrance said corporate ghost was 4 years ago realesed...
mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 07:03 AM   #7
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
don;t know what "mooted" means

however, the sonic youth have several VHS releases you can find

Screaming Fields of Sonic Love have videos pre-Geffen. It fucking rules.
GOO has videos of every song on the album GOO. it rules just slightly less. Mote is the greatest video ever.
Gila Monster jamboree is a live recording of Bad Moon Rising era sonic youth playing in the desert and freaking out the wanna-be's. It fucking rules too.
1991 The Year Punk Broke is a tour doc showing sonic youth mudhoney, nirvana, dinosaur an dothers on tour i festivals in europe. it rules all.

none of these are available on official DVD, but if you are one of those fake ass fans that get yr music from torrent downloads or file sharing or buys bootleg dvd's made by transferring the VHS to a ciomputer there are ways to find them.

I do agree that "real fans" own the official merchandise, and I agree that many people these days unfortunately aren't bothering to buy official releases and merchandise and that it is a problem.
But "real fans" of a band have always been bootleg enthusiasts too. It seems to me that you like to bring down the same catch-all indictment any chance you get.

In my case, I used to have the VHS tapes for Goo, Punk Broke, and Screaming Fields, but they were all stolen from me in the nineties.

Since then, I've gotten digital copies for Punk Broke and, being such a big fan, I even complied my own Screaming Fields fascilmile using youtube and keepvid pending the eventual release of the dvd(s). As far as I know, no one has ever torrented a VHS transfer of Sceaming Fields or has ever put it up as a link share.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 07:37 AM   #8
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
I do agree that "real fans" own the official merchandise, and I agree that many people these days unfortunately aren't bothering to buy official releases and merchandise and that it is a problem.
But "real fans" of a band have always been bootleg enthusiasts too. It seems to me that you like to bring down the same catch-all indictment any chance you get.

In my case, I used to have the VHS tapes for Goo, Punk Broke, and Screaming Fields, but they were all stolen from me in the nineties.

Since then, I've gotten digital copies for Punk Broke and, being such a big fan, I even complied my own Screaming Fields fascilmile using youtube and keepvid pending the eventual release of the dvd(s). As far as I know, no one has ever torrented a VHS transfer of Sceaming Fields or has ever put it up as a link share.

And a digital copy also helps in preserving the original vhs tapes...and it's also more "comfy" to skip to different chapters/songs without having to ffwd+stop+play etc yeah sometimes I'm THAT lazy... I have screaming fields, gila monster, goo videos, the year punk broke on original vhs, but I do watch them almost only in digital format nowadays...
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 09:03 AM   #9
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
And a digital copy also helps in preserving the original vhs tapes...and it's also more "comfy" to skip to different chapters/songs without having to ffwd+stop+play etc yeah sometimes I'm THAT lazy... I have screaming fields, gila monster, goo videos, the year punk broke on original vhs, but I do watch them almost only in digital format nowadays...

Agreed. I bought official VHS releases of PUNK BROKE, SCREAMING FIELDS, GOO, and GILA MONSTER and still have them to this day. But I've since transfered them to DVD-R so that I didn't "play out" the video copies.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 09:20 AM   #10
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
well, Steve said to some Mexican fans that a DVD is in the works.
That was about a year ago. I'll try to find some more info...
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 12:19 PM   #11
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
steve said to me in 2005 "it will all happen, but slowly as always but it will happen"
Old 01.24.2008, 01:41 PM   #12
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
but if you are one of those fake ass fans that get yr music from torrent downloads .
I object to this... Not everyone is going to go scouring every bootleg-carrying store within a 100km radius to find 'the year punk broke' when its available in a more versitile format on the computer.

I mean we'd all like to have the resources to be hardcore collectors, but fact of the matter is not everyone has that much time/money.
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 05:03 PM   #13
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I think it takes more time to do the downloading and searching and case/cover making than it does to just plunk down money at a store. Which is something I'd gladly do if these were more available. I'd special order them if it were possible. And I've had instances when I ordered off of ebay (some Basquiat prints) and never received anything. Also, if I order a vhs from ebay it's not like the band sees any of that money anyway.

I wanted to amend my post above though because I remembered that the Screaming Fields I put together wasn't from youtube and keepvid like I wrote previously. I recall now that the videos were all downloaded by myself from snooping the urls from when they used to be posted at this site. They are in quicktime and I think they were mpg and not mov files. But ah, oh cool, the rip is .avi and the total filesize is a bit larger, so I'll have to check it out.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 10:55 PM   #14
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Folks, come on!

http://www.sonicyouth.com/archives/vidselect/index.html

They're giving them all away! They know a lot of people will still buy them if/when they see DVD release.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 11:54 PM   #15
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, that's cool.

I'd still like to see an official DVD release, which I'm sure will happen soon.
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth