Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.06.2017, 10:01 AM   #1701
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
so how did you fare? were you on 2nd floor? how are mosquitoes?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2017, 10:21 AM   #1702
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Watching 3rd season of Narcos. I like how they use actual footage of the arrests and public shit that happened. Keeps it grounded!

During the hurricane I put seasons 4-7 of Seinfeld on a memory stick and the wife and I binged as Houston drowned. fucking awesome as always.

So glad you're ok.

Now I have friends in Florida to worry about. Christ, the nerves.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2017, 10:30 AM   #1703
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Watching 3rd season of Narcos. I like how they use actual footage of the arrests and public shit that happened. Keeps it grounded!

During the hurricane I put seasons 4-7 of Seinfeld on a memory stick and the wife and I binged as Houston drowned. fucking awesome as always.

When in doubt bring out Seinfeld. Hope things are good, man

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2017, 10:40 AM   #1704
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Mrs. Instigator and I rode it out with power and no flooding. I now live in the house I spent my teen years in, and it was built back when the area was a real far suburb of Houston, so the houses were built on higher ground and all elevated from the street level. The house has never ever flooded and for that I am lucky. My mother's place has roof damage and water damage.
My wife and I drove around when the rain finally stopped (8-10 inches a day for 4 days....) and we could not get more than a mile in any direction due to flood.
horrible. I have had a house flood before (early 2000's) and I know what Bytor is going through.. so demoralizing.

the Houston Police had to set up a makeshift precinct office due to the flooding and my wife read they had no food, water, toiletries, etc for these cops that had been working 20 hour shifts. we picked up 6 pizza pies and some drinks and took it to them. Turns out they had set up the "precinct" in an empty strip center. They were very grateful. One dude almost started crying..
Old 09.06.2017, 10:40 AM   #1705
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
BTW, the mosquitos are fucking HUNGRY and razor sharp.
Old 09.06.2017, 11:03 AM   #1706
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
damn, dude. so lucky you kept dry. yeah i remember your car getting flooded just a few years back and you bought a new one (was it a volks?). don't swamp it!

anyway so are you off work or back to work or what? this your first day internet?

and you mom doing ok? i remember a while ago she was not well

spray on the deet and avoid zika/west nile/whatever is out there
Old 09.06.2017, 11:06 AM   #1707
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Mom is as OK as can be.

Went back to work yesterday. Normal commutes are double or triple the time. so many major roads and freeways still closed.
Old 09.06.2017, 01:57 PM   #1708
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

good to know!

and now back to our regular programming i guess? ha ha ha

===

watched both THE UNEARTHLY CHILD and THE DALEKS serials of the first season of doctor who with the old man in it.

unearthly child okay, already discussed, esablishes the characters fine.

the one about the daleks was at once exciting and very boring and disappointing. it's 7 episodes, but two of those are just fillers with people (the "thals") gesticulating in some wood/ some cave/getting eaten by monsters/falling into a hole/ like it's some sort of outdoor adventure. sure, it is and outdoor adventure now i guess, but i could skip right to the ending and nothing would be affected (just time saved).

next will be THE EDGE OF DESTRUCTION. which follows chronologically. here's to them having trimmed the fat off it.

so.... yeah... looks like im gonna follow all 3 years of hartnell first ha ha ha ha. there is only one serial missing from the extant ones-- meaning netflix doesn't have the discs for THE WEB PLANET. whence the internet was invented. or something ha ha. yeah. seems out of print/unavailable but was once issued. i'll get there in due time...

have also alerts for THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT aka THE CREEPING UNKNOWN which seems unavailable as both stream and disc on my main sources. not about to go hunting for some grainy $250 vhs copy of it so i'll just keep waiting till it pops up
Old 09.06.2017, 08:29 PM   #1709
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
the Houston Police had to set up a makeshift precinct office due to the flooding and my wife read they had no food, water, toiletries, etc for these cops that had been working 20 hour shifts. we picked up 6 pizza pies and some drinks and took it to them. Turns out they had set up the "precinct" in an empty strip center. They were very grateful. One dude almost started crying..

Good for you, man.
Old 09.09.2017, 03:32 AM   #1710
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

next will be THE EDGE OF DESTRUCTION. which follows chronologically. here's to them having trimmed the fat off it.

From memory it's one of the more watchable stories from the Hartnell era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
so.... yeah... looks like im gonna follow all 3 years of hartnell first ha ha ha ha.

To each their own, I just hope you don't burn out on DW before getting to the actual good stuff.

Re: Quatermass, The Hammer film versions of Quatermass Xperiment and Quatermass and the Pit should be easier to track down.They're both great Pit especially is one of my all-time favourite British horror films - despite arguably being more sf than horror. But who cares about its genre when you've got Barbara Shelley helping to save mankind in a red jumper and tartan skirt?

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2017, 01:49 PM   #1711
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
From memory it's one of the more watchable stories from the Hartnell era.

To each their own, I just hope you don't burn out on DW before getting to the actual good stuff.

Re: Quatermass, The Hammer film versions of Quatermass Xperiment and Quatermass and the Pit should be easier to track down.They're both great Pit especially is one of my all-time favourite British horror films - despite arguably being more sf than horror. But who cares about its genre when you've got Barbara Shelley helping to save mankind in a red jumper and tartan skirt?

Dammit, you've mentioned Quartermass before. I've wanted to get into it, but simply haven't because I guess I'm too hung up on other shit.

Also, I feel like I'm not out of the loop with Doctor Who, because you guys are talking about shit I've never seen. So I'm sad.
Old 09.09.2017, 02:33 PM   #1712
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Dammit, you've mentioned Quartermass before. I've wanted to get into it, but simply haven't because I guess I'm too hung up on other shit.

Also, I feel like I'm not out of the loop with Doctor Who, because you guys are talking about shit I've never seen. So I'm sad.
one disc at a time from netflix will give you the chance to see them. i've been queueing up the discs in chronological order, and can send you the names.

it takes a bit of work to match the list of the serials with the available dvds from netflix, because there are serials missing (that were destroyed) and discs missing (that netflix doesn't have).

usualy 1 disc will contain a serial (or two). i've seen up to 7 episodes in one disc-- they're only 20-some minutes each so the whole story fits. so you can get one disc, watch a whole serial, return it, get the next for the following weekend, etc. takes some patience i guess ha ha ha, this archaeology business.

fyi i don't think demonyo has seen all the hartnells, as they're from before his time. this is just me being a maniac.
Old 09.09.2017, 02:41 PM   #1713
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

i don't think i will. at worst i might skip a dull episode or clear emails while things play.

at the end of the daleks, by the way (the dead planet, the thals, etc) the doctor launches on a little rant about "truth" and i felt a resonance with the early star treks. different characters sure but they both embody a certain idealism which while it may not be found on earth could be found in space-- or in a more advanced alien.

this was of course hilarious and ironic because the doctor earlier had lied to his companions about some shit. this first doctor was hilariously imperfect on the ethics department. very selfish too ha ha ha. but then he goes on about "truth" ha ha ha. wish i had memorized his lines cuz now i can't remember them. agh!

Quote:

quatermass and the pit was available last year on amazon i think, and i missed it. but i want to get the first movie first. what is hammer film? should i google? hmmmmm [edit: the production company that made them? oh vs the contemporary one? i dont want the contemporary one/remake]

nice lady, that one. my favorite 60s sf star of course is raquel welch on fantastic voyage. which i can't find anywhere! gaaaaahhhhhh!

Old 09.10.2017, 08:04 AM   #1714
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

original dr who's "the edge of destruction" was fun and short and to the point (2 episodes). which was nice. first time i think we hear of the tardis having an intelligence of its own.

the doctor is such a stupid jerk though, ha ha ha! the humans are better.

next in line would be the lost marco polo episodes ("the roof of the world")

for obvious reason i'll be skipping to the next serial, "the keys of marinus". looks longer.

btw seems as if many of these are on youtube?
Old 09.10.2017, 05:43 PM   #1715
Severian
invito al cielo

Ok, the Americans is just too goddamn good. It's simply one of the most intricately crafted shows I've ever seen. Nothing feels like a plot device, even though there are plenty of those. Everything feels so vital and crucial. Nothing feels like filler — not even the weird experimental moments like when they spend 5 minutes digging a hole — I'm sure some of it's filler, but it doesn't come across that way.

I can't believe this show has been losing Emmys to Game of Thrones. That blows my mind. Spectacle over substance, I guess. But the Americans is without a doubt one of the most important shows on television and also one of the best thrillers I've ever seen on television.

It may be the recency effect working its magic, but I think this show almost puts Breaking Bad to shame.

I found out it was developed by a former CIA agent, so that explains a lot of the uncanny believability of the show. Now they're starting to get into a time period that I'm actually old enough to remember a bit, and I really can't wait to see how it's all going to end.

5-star show. Applause. Excellence all around.
Old 09.17.2017, 06:29 PM   #1716
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

this past week more or less i've been chillin with old episodes of 3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN (they're all on amazon).

i didn't remember it so well but i find myself laughing hard every time. i know it's a lot less iconic than seinfeld, which was its contemporary, but i find the characters tons more likeable, and in the end i laugh more, and more freely, with their absurdities.

it also helps that i find myself lost and disoriented by the cultural rituals of others so i empathize tons with the aliens i guess.

plus it often has a kind of 3 stooges aspect that i appreciate

i remember trying to watch seinfeld reruns last year and it was like a chore so i quit trying. truth is, i never liked jerry himself, or his standup. george was always hilarious and kramer too before we found out he was a racist and he ruined the memories. so i prefer curb your enthusiasm, in which larry is permanently the malconnected and neurotic outsider, and there's no jerry to kill the mood-- ha ha!
Old 09.17.2017, 06:46 PM   #1717
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
I need to re-watch 3rd Rock. That was a good show.
Old 09.17.2017, 07:39 PM   #1718
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
I need to re-watch 3rd Rock. That was a good show.

30 Rock was a great shooohhhhhwaitnevermind
Old 09.17.2017, 07:43 PM   #1719
Severian
invito al cielo

I FINISHED AMERICANS.

Or at least, I finished what's available. There's still one season coming. Can't wait.

Season 5 wasn't free to stream so I actually bought the goddamn thing. That's how into it I was/am.

Now there's a void.

I'm filling it with the EXCELLENT fourth season of Bojack Horseman on Netflix; an animated show about a neurotic talking horse that is more human than virtually anything else out there. Sign 'O the Times.

Also watching Judd Apatow's show LOVE on Netflix, and it's pretty good all far. Three episodes in and it's better than any of his later movies by far. Hope it holds up.

EVERYONE WATCH BOJACK HORSEMAN. You will not regret it.
Old 09.17.2017, 07:56 PM   #1720
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i love bojack. just waiting for the right season.
76838485 86 87888996136186 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth