Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page NR Essentials #23: Lil Wayne - Tha Carter II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.20.2010, 08:29 PM   #41
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
I'm listening to The Carter II right now, and I'll say the same thing.

for the first time?
Old 04.20.2010, 08:31 PM   #42
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, my opinion differs from yours because I'm uneducated. [/Sarcasm]

Should I play the tracks backwards to hear something different?
Old 04.20.2010, 08:42 PM   #43
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'm listening to The Carter II right now, and I'll say the same thing.

I hate to seem like me and NR are tag teaming against any opposition here, but really?! Well, I guess that is true for tracks like Fireman, but for Receipt or Shooter or a hell of a lot others, he seems no more club orientated than a lot of other 'classic' rap. There's a huge variety on there...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2010, 08:43 PM   #44
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Oh and yeah, I thought it was a lot more clubby first time through I will admit. It's a grower.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
Old 04.20.2010, 08:54 PM   #45
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yes, my opinion differs from yours because I'm uneducated. [/Sarcasm]

Should I play the tracks backwards to hear something different?

no obviously you're smarter than us.
Old 04.20.2010, 08:55 PM   #46
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Glice, that was the post of the year.

Dr. Eugene, I brought ICP into this because you were voicing an opinion of Lil Wayne's lyrics and flow. ICP lyrics are generally South Park shock value shit. And their flow is usually just yelling. So... I mean I find them amusing. But I don't think it's especially good.

Isn't being "amusing" the entire point behind entertainment?

What do you think about Esham?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCsitiKTo0w

He was one of ICP's biggest influences - and it's extremely obvious in their material. They ripped their favorite aspects of his style, added some dick and fart jokes, ditched the satanic allusions, and that was that.

You guys seem to expect so much from a group called the Insane Clown Posse. They are rapping clowns from one of the poorest cities in America...who just so happen to be serial killing servants of "The Dark Carnival".

Most people don't pick up a cheesy slasher flick expecting high art. I happen to adore schlock, and dick and fart jokes, and serial killers who chop up cops, and baseheads, and wife beating bigots; eat dead bodies, drink Faygo, and fuck fat chicks.

Sounds a lot more "amusing" to me than what's played on the radio these days. Especially with all the yelling.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2010, 09:04 PM   #47
noisereductions
invito al cielo

no I get it. THa'ts what i like. Every society needs clowns.
Old 04.20.2010, 09:09 PM   #48
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Like Glice was saying, they are intended for a very specific audience. I'm almost fearful of how much I listen to ICP, and how much Faygo I've started drinking on a daily basis. I'm even attending the gathering in August.

But there are all kinds of people who like ICP, struggling through all different kinds of lives, in all different parts of the world. I mean, if I'm a juggalo...we can't all be that bad, right?

Horrorcore is where it's at
Old 04.20.2010, 09:10 PM   #49
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Gravediggaz.
Old 04.20.2010, 09:14 PM   #50
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

I like them too. I like all kinds of hip-hop. Just not Lil Wayne. I'm actually frightened by just how popular he is. Some people are even going as far as to call him the next Dre....bleck!
Old 04.20.2010, 10:00 PM   #51
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Gravediggaz.

Are awesome!

I think Lil Wayne would be cool if he was to get some similar beats and do his thing. A way less slick, over-produced, niteclub sound. Because again, like I said, he has an awesome voice.
Old 04.20.2010, 10:13 PM   #52
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
The Carter II is a fucking tremendous record on so many levels. I feel like their is definitely no better album to help you appreciate the dirty south and cash money records. Cash Money & Family just do real big shit. Always.

I was always super into Big Tymers, Hot Boyz, etc. So, naturally, I had some exposure to Lil Wayne. However, his verses always tended to seem the worst to me on those tracks. He kind of pissed me off just being in them. There was something about his flow that I just couldn't get into.

Then, as I was getting in my friend's car, Shooter was just starting. I was instantly hooked and had to know what it was. Lil Wayne had perfected that style that I had once found annoying or even abrasive, and it was fucking sick! I bought the record and within a week had obscene numbers of his albums and mix tapes. I couldn't get enough.

Dope Boy is a fantastic song. I can play that shit on repeat. I feel like Lil Wayne's lyrics are so tight with the music on this album than any of his other albums. It's the only Weezy album I can just 'throw on' without being in some sort of super-Weezed mood or something.

All I have in this world is a pistol and a promise
A fist full of dollars, a list full of problems
I'll address them like P.O. Boxes
Yeah I'm from New Orleans, the Creole cockpit
We so out of it, zero tolerance
Gangsta gumbo, I'll serve 'em a pot of it
I'm wealthy, still fucking wit that block shit
Wet your ass up, head to feet til your sock a drip
Don't strip, you might fall and bust your ass
No snakes at the carter, tell the gardener to cut the grass
I hear 'em but they talking under mass
Stop throwing pebbles at a bulletproof glass
Old 04.20.2010, 10:19 PM   #53
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
wayne has a bunch of good tracks, i don't think anything on this album is particularly interesting

Quote:
you only think that cuz yr listening to an unoffical (bootleg) mixtape that focuses on his club-tracks. You obviously have no idea what his real albums sound like.

Quote:
I'm listening to The Leak Reloaded. And I'll reiterate on my previous post. His voice is realllly cool... But his music is niteclub shit. If only he put some cooler beats to his vocals. I'm waiting for Beyonce to come in with guest vocals. I mean, I can see the pros of the tunes too, which is why I have a bunch of his albums, but there are definite cons aswell. I can appreciate, but so could a niteclub bunny too.

Edited: The album cover is awesome for The Leak Reloaded.
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2010, 11:01 PM   #54
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
I really am trying to see what some of you guys see in Wayne. But so far from what I've heard, his flow and lyrics are weak. Can someone please post a wayne song to show me his lyrical skill and flow? noisereductions?
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2010, 03:26 AM   #55
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Isn't being "amusing" the entire point behind entertainment?
[...]
Most people don't pick up a cheesy slasher flick expecting high art. I happen to adore schlock, and dick and fart jokes, and serial killers who chop up cops, and baseheads, and wife beating bigots; eat dead bodies, drink Faygo, and fuck fat chicks.

This is a really important point I think - wider than this thread. There's this curious austerity that follows a lot of music, as if something entirely preposterous like ICP should be written off precisely because it's ridiculous. If you compare it to film - the only other popular art which has anything like music's social standing - there's an socially-imposed disanalogy. That is, it's alright to enjoy a film like Avatar (name out of a hat) which is clearly fantastic, ridiculous and by no means 'serious' because it's a film, but music is often considered exempt from being appreciated on that level. The other side of this is fine - we can enjoy a 'serious' film (say, Schindler's List) in a similar way we might enjoy a Dylan Vietnam protest song. Although, personally, I'd take the Monks' brand of hysteria over Vietnam over anything Dylan ever put out.

But yeah, while I don't actually like ICP, I can't really see what's so bad about them (except, obviously, that miracles song is astonishingly bad). I am, obviously, always right on any given subject, and as a consequence I am the prime arbiter of good taste for the world, but I don't really see that ICP's brand of ridiculousness is immediately a bad thing - like Herr Felikson says, it's patently ridiculous, and if you enjoy that ridiculousness, there doesn't seem much point criticising. For my part, they're vastly more enjoyable than yet another ugly guitar band who don't really say much, don't really engage their audience, don't really comment on society, don't really make the effort with all that bits that aren't music (clothes, videos, merchandise) etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2010, 03:55 AM   #56
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Glice, I'd rep you to the #1 spot right now, if I could.
Old 04.21.2010, 05:48 AM   #57
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm fully prepared to admit that I just don't get Lil Wayne.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2010, 06:57 AM   #58
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Are awesome!

I think Lil Wayne would be cool if he was to get some similar beats and do his thing. A way less slick, over-produced, niteclub sound. Because again, like I said, he has an awesome voice.

dude TRUST ME, his earlier albums and mixtapes are not slick nor "nightclub."
Old 04.21.2010, 06:59 AM   #59
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm fully prepared to admit that I just don't get Lil Wayne.

I can respect that more than just trying to say dude isn't talented. That shit's ridiculous.
Old 04.21.2010, 07:24 AM   #60
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
I really am trying to see what some of you guys see in Wayne. But so far from what I've heard, his flow and lyrics are weak. Can someone please post a wayne song to show me his lyrical skill and flow? noisereductions?

Well, I'm not NR, but for a classic hip-hop fan (which I assume you are?), I'd probably say this (sorry to hammer it, I know I've mentioned it like 3 times in this thread), or this. I mean neither of those are necessarily the height of his flow or weirdness, but they're classic tracks, and as a serious southern rap sceptic that was mainly only into classic or underground east coast stuff like Wu and Doom at the time, it's pretty much that pair that converted me. Alternatively, just listen to the whole of Tha Carter II, but if you do, be sure to give it some focus and listen through a couple of times. It's genius reveals itself slowly. If none of that does it for you, I guess he's just not for you...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth