Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Why did Pussy Galore hate Dischord?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.03.2008, 12:35 AM   #1
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Was it the whole straight edge thing?
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2008, 12:37 AM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Let's just blame it on faraquet...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2008, 01:05 AM   #3
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Let's just blame it on faraquet...

great band. i saw them open for fugazi.

i actually have no idea why they hated dischord. i never really bothered to find out why either. i think they just thought it would be funny.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2008, 01:16 AM   #4
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah I was just reading about them on wikipedia and it said that they publicly declared their hatred for Ian right before they moved to NY. Seemed like an odd thing to write on wikipedia without giving any explanation as to why.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2008, 01:31 AM   #5
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Spencer's bombast in JSBE is of a much tamer type than it was in Pussy Galore. In Pussy Galore he was trying very hard to come off as the ultimate asshole, and I think it was just an act as that's what a "cool post-punk" band was supposed to do at the time. When they played Seattle he said the same thing about Soundgarden and Mudhoney and dared them to show up and fight him. It was all hype B.S.

Given that Spencer later worked with Calvin Johnson, who's great friends with Ian, in Oly, I don't think he probably ever hated Mackaye, it was just his iconoclastic pose at the time. Somewhere on the way to Blues Explosion he figured out he could shout just as loudly and agressively about what he loved rather than what he "hates" and not lose a whole lot of fans. Maybe even make a couple.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2008, 10:25 AM   #6
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Iam Mackaye is a pompous guy though, i mean c'mon to force upon having no drinks at his Evens gigs and then no other music being played between sets... what a bitch ass. the Evens aren't even that good.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2008, 11:00 AM   #7
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I suppose it has a lot to do with Dischord and PG both coming from Washington (at least I think Dischord was a Washington based label!). Either way, Spencer being down on da Dis makes some sense when PG were presenting themselves as this amoral antidote to the more self-righteous elements within Hardcore.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2008, 12:01 AM   #8
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I suppose it has a lot to do with Dischord and PG both coming from Washington (at least I think Dischord was a Washington based label!). Either way, Spencer being down on da Dis makes some sense when PG were presenting themselves as this amoral antidote to the more self-righteous elements within Hardcore.

Sure, they were presenting themselves as the Rolling Fucking Stones, but it was all an act. An entertaining act to be sure, but Spencer had a totall pro-wrestling approach to punk hype that ought to be taken exactly that seriously. His verbally attacking Dischord (and it was always verbal with him) certainly pointed out how seriously Dischord should be taken as well.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2008, 12:17 AM   #9
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Spencer's bombast in JSBE is of a much tamer type than it was in Pussy Galore. In Pussy Galore he was trying very hard to come off as the ultimate asshole, and I think it was just an act as that's what a "cool post-punk" band was supposed to do at the time. When they played Seattle he said the same thing about Soundgarden and Mudhoney and dared them to show up and fight him. It was all hype B.S.

Given that Spencer later worked with Calvin Johnson, who's great friends with Ian, in Oly, I don't think he probably ever hated Mackaye, it was just his iconoclastic pose at the time. Somewhere on the way to Blues Explosion he figured out he could shout just as loudly and agressively about what he loved rather than what he "hates" and not lose a whole lot of fans. Maybe even make a couple.

in a way, pussy galore took their hate for dischord from no trend, who were against everything dischord was for before pg existed. they even tried to make jello hate dischord, no trend really hated them, which might explain why they didn't go very far.

it also has to do with the whole negation thing about punk and no wave, kinda like lydia lunch and swans and flipper and (at the time of pg) big black. being completely pessimistic and hateful.

and well, pussy galore > the blues explosion, they are a joke compared to them, and pg were a joke band!
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2008, 12:58 AM   #10
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
i find him a very interesting man living a very interesting life.
Old 02.05.2008, 03:35 AM   #11
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Fugazi>PG
Old 02.05.2008, 03:52 AM   #12
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
PG > your mother
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2008, 04:16 AM   #13
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
kthnx. Some people forget to add the imo.
Massive Attack
Portishead
Jesus and Mary Chain
suck

IMO
Old 02.05.2008, 04:31 AM   #14
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
ian is a boring mother fucker. the end.

i can appreciate the fact that hes a man that "stands for something", but shit, so have countless others.

Did you go to school together? Is he your brother or dad?

I find it hard to fathom how you can call someone you've never met 'boring' with such vigor.
Old 02.05.2008, 09:56 AM   #15
sun city girl
the end of the ugly

sun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's asses
PG > Fugazi

and that's a fact.

imho

sun city girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2008, 10:31 AM   #16
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Pussy Galore and Jon Spencer are infinitely more interesting than Ian Mackaye. Songs like "You Look Like a Jew" and "Fuck You, Man" justify this as clearly as is possible.

Oh, and the blues are number one. Bab-e:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KgkEw4GjtdU
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2008, 11:25 AM   #17
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe Jon Spencer And Co Didnt Like Being Taken For A Ride By A Label Whose Output Is Less Than 50% Quality But Everyone Believes It To Be 100% Quality.

Fugazi Bores Me. Nation Of Ulysees And Circus Lupus And Maybe The Evens Are The Best Thing On That Label....
Old 02.05.2008, 11:30 AM   #18
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
actually, i'm listening to nation of ulysses and they are so boring! they are like if the cows sucked really badly.

ugh. best dischord bands (that i've listened to):

1. minor threat
2. void
3. rites of spring
4. government issue
5. flex your head compilation (had bands that never made more than a few songs, like the untouchables).
6. dag nasty
7. scream
8. the faith
9. jawbox
10. q and not u

their best releases were with joint labels (ssd's the kids will have their say, necros' ep, reptile house, etc.)
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2008, 11:41 AM   #19
uhler
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
actually, i'm listening to nation of ulysses and they are so boring! they are like if the cows sucked really badly.

ugh. best dischord bands (that i've listened to):

1. minor threat
2. void
3. rites of spring
4. government issue
5. flex your head compilation (had bands that never made more than a few songs, like the untouchables).
6. dag nasty
7. scream
8. the faith
9. jawbox
10. q and not u

their best releases were with joint labels (ssd's the kids will have their say, necros' ep, reptile house, etc.)

i think i'm the only huge fan of dc hardcore that doesn't really like scream. i would make a list of favorite dischord bands but it would have to include all of them. minor threat, fugazi, rites of spring, the faith and nation of ulysses would be on top though.

the kids will have their say is one of the best hardcore albums ever. have you heard their butt rock shit? it sucks balls. so does dys' butt rock shit.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth