Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Beatles reissues: is there a point, or...?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.10.2009, 12:44 PM   #21
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
plus it makes new fans, younger kids who never bought the shit, but will do so now, or get their parents to buy it for them as gifts and shit.

I just put on my old vinyls and turn that shit up to 11
Old 09.10.2009, 02:41 PM   #22
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
cashgrab in the hay, y'all
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2009, 02:58 PM   #23
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
The mono remaster is obviously far more dramatic - almost like an entirely different take - and appears to be about 7 seconds shorter than either stereo version!

Yes, it seems to play a bit faster (it sounds higher pitched).
Old 09.10.2009, 03:12 PM   #24
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
Yes, it seems to play a bit faster (it sounds higher pitched).

That would definitely account for the shorter length; there doesn't seem to be any difference in terms of the actual structure of the song.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2009, 04:12 PM   #25
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
With technology being so different in the past 22 years (and not a single Beatles reissue within that span) and the first official release of their pre-Abbey Road albums in mono on compact disc, how is not sort of a big deal?

Being 21 and never having access to the original LPs of this stuff (my mom had them all at one point, but threw them out when vinyl started becoming "useless junk") AND probably having to forkload a good chunk of money for a crisp LP version of Sgt. Pepper's, this is a big deal to me. I grew up with the poorly-transferred '87 CDs, and over time, my ears have become pretty discerning to a point where I simply couldn't go back to them after hearing various needledrop bootlegs of the original LPs. I feel these remasters are much more true to the original sound than anything we're ever going to get in digital format. Fuck, even Ebbetts decided to quit doing Beatles material after these batch of remasters came out. There isn't very much to be perfected on.

Call it a "cash-grab" or whatever (and perhaps it is with the added Beatles Rock Band and the seperate boxes for stereo and mono when they can all be in one box); I'm just really glad to be able to hear something like Tomorrow Never Knows or Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite cranked up in glorious mono. I'm falling in love with one of my favorite bands all over again.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2009, 04:19 PM   #26
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Elanor Rigby rules.

The rest can fuck off. Shit band, imo.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2009, 08:46 PM   #27
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I've never liked the Beatles. I've even tried to like them. I've heard most (if not all) the albums and I don't see the appeal at all. The White Album is probably the most overrated album of all time, hands down, if only for the reason that it came out almost 2 years after The Velvet Underground and Nico, which, for me, is the defining album of pre-1980s music.
Old 09.10.2009, 08:49 PM   #28
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
I've never liked the Beatles. I've even tried to like them. I've heard most (if not all) the albums and I don't see the appeal at all. The White Album is probably the most overrated album of all time, hands down, if only for the reason that it came out almost 2 years after The Velvet Underground and Nico, which, for me, is the defining album of pre-1980s music.

hahaha. Yeah. Well. VU&Nico certainly is AMAZING. But it's ballsy to classify music as either pre- or post-1980.
Old 09.10.2009, 08:57 PM   #29
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
That wasn't totally my intention. Example: someone asks me about "old" music and I know they're well-versed in everything post-1980, the first album I ask if they've heard is VU and Nico. Not any Dylan, not Cream, not Hendrix or Zeppelin or Sex Pistols or Clash, etc etc. However, if someone I knew who was well-versed in all of those asked me about post-1980 music, I'd take about 15 minutes to gather my thoughts and recommend a dozen albums by about 10 different artists.
Old 09.10.2009, 09:08 PM   #30
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
haha. Alright cool, man. I gotcha. Whatever, VU&NICO does fuckign rule
Old 09.10.2009, 09:19 PM   #31
sarramkrop

There isn't a point. There is certainly not a point in finding The Beatles the most important band ever in 2009, what with their naive attitude towards spirituality, their approximation of a psychedelic musicality, their ultimately ego-based (something that Sonic youth I think did a good job at deflating) vision of being in a band?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2009, 10:33 PM   #32
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
there is always a reason. Making MONEY

Wurd! .....beat me to it.
FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2009, 10:35 PM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Weren't they just some fucked-up assholes who spent a lot of time in the studio?

When you consider that Captain Beefheart (true rock innovator) and White Noise - An Electrical Storm (a beautiful, brilliant, multi-layered, insane studio production) existed around the same time (as well as countless others, obviously), it makes the Beatles look... not very important.. in comparison. They were able to reinvent themselves and so on, but come on, that doesn't make them geniuses. They just made a lot of money, farted around in the studio, and John Lennon liked El Topo and he made cool noise records, so he's the only one I respect.

So, bye.

Old 09.11.2009, 02:52 AM   #34
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
The remasters I think are essential in the sense it sounds the way they were meant to be played. After hearing the new reissues compared to the old ones, I hear a huge difference. Granted, I'm buying them slowly when they go down in price, since right now there's way too many other things on my list of records that need my listening.

How people can shit on The Beatles is a mystery to me. They are one of the best pop bands ever; They've written more catchy melodies than most bands have written songs. Sure, say what you will about other bands from the timeline, but the Beatles allowed people to really care about music and go about tracking it down inside of just hoping for that song they like to be on the radio. It's similar to Nirvana; Yeah, they get a lot of credit when there were better bands then and before, but at the same time they made a good majority of their fans think, "Hmmm, these Nirvana guys sure do talk about so and so a lot... I wonder if I would like them too?", and it allowed so and so bands to make more records and gain more fans, not to mention get more exposure (Which admittedly did hurt some bands).

To each their own but I think most Beatles haters are just trying to be cool.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2009, 03:00 AM   #35
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Or maybe they actually don't like the Beatles' music as much as you do.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2009, 03:05 AM   #36
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah, their music just does absolutely nothing for me. To be able to take some interesting, even occasionally avant-garde techniques that other musicians did better, and put them in a popular-music context is pretty cool, but meh. Lousy songs, most of 'em.

Old 09.11.2009, 03:10 AM   #37
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" is one particularly terrible song.
Old 09.11.2009, 03:16 AM   #38
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I think, aside from "Elanor Rigby", their best song is probably "And Your Bird Can Sing", which John descibed as a throwaway song that was just to fill out the album. But yeah.

I think "Hey Jude" is probably the worst song I've heard in my life.

The Beets were better. See: "Killer Tofu", "Shout Your Lungs Out", and "Where's My Sock".

Old 09.11.2009, 03:19 AM   #39
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Seriously

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFO_rfzFas0

Killer Tofu is better than the entire Beatles catalogue...

Old 09.11.2009, 03:28 AM   #40
pbradley
invito al cielo

Eleanor Rigby, A Day In The Life, and Helter Skelter. That's it. Admittedly, though, I never cared for their albums enough to remember them so there might be a few tracks here or there that I might be a few less popular songs that I might like but not worth the hassle.

And The Beets give me too many nostalgia vibes.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth