Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page 2009 Set Lists -- POST HERE!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.15.2009, 02:59 AM   #161
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
I still think they should open up with Massage (ala Golden Blue on the Nurse Tour). And then close down with Kool Thing Merzbow. Yeah that should be S.O.P.

*waits to see if it works*
Old 07.15.2009, 11:43 AM   #162
Scooter and Jinx
empty page

Scooter and Jinx has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Abutments
This is exactly why they mix it up as best they can. There are old timers like myself that prefer newer material and some that just joined in three albums ago that salivate for older material. It's all good.

But Poison Arrow CANNOT disappear. It's so grungy!

No sense in arguing personal taste, but I want to make something clear. I'm 37 years old and have seen Sonic Youth on EVERY SINGLE TOUR since "Goo". Monday night's show was my 16th. To me, 'Poison Arrow' sucks. I was personally disappointed that they encored with it. I'd prefer virtually ANY Sonic Youth song (old or new) to that one. That's all...
Scooter and Jinx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2009, 01:52 PM   #163
MrGri3ves
empty page

MrGri3ves has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancykitten
Holy fucking shit, Stereo Sanctity??? They better play it in Dallas. Jesus.

THIS THIS A THOUSAND TIMES THIS

If they play that and Expressway, you will likely see a fan pass out.
MrGri3ves is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2009, 01:59 PM   #164
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancykitten
Holy fucking shit, Stereo Sanctity??? They better play it in Dallas. Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGri3ves
THIS THIS A THOUSAND TIMES THIS

If they play that and Expressway, you will likely see a fan pass out.

Make that two fans... I have been waiting many years to hear Expressway, and hearing the two in one show would almost be too much to handle.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2009, 01:23 AM   #165
MrGri3ves
empty page

MrGri3ves has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Dallas here.

The Eternal (minus Thunderclap)
Stereo Sanctity (!!!!)
Silver Rocket (my personal favorite of the night)
Shaking Hell
--
Shadow of a Doubt
Pacific Coast Highway.

No 2nd encore.

I think that was all but I could be forgetting something. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Fucking greatest show of my life.
MrGri3ves is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2009, 01:59 PM   #166
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Na, you got the songs right. After the house lights came on, I was feeling a little jipped about no second encore...but in hindsight, we still saw about as much as most other shows I suppose...

Other details of the Dallas show:
Thurston was actually pretty tame and mild at this show too. Not a lot of banter, but there was one pretty long chatty part before Leaky Lifeboat. "Dallas in the summertime is like heaven on earth." Pretty sure he was sarcastically referencing the HEAT during the day, omg...was such a hot day! Wondering if the heat during the daytime did not make him a little tired for the show, ha.

Kim introduced Shaking Hell, saying "This is an older one, it's called Shaking Hell. It's for Coco, it's a request..." Not sure exactly what that was about, but I am assuming maybe they ran into another girl that day named Coco or something, who requested it. Unless maybe their daughter is on tour with them and really wanted to see it that night? Still confused a bit on that one. What really bummed me out though, was Thurston went right into Making the Nature Scene after she said it, and they all looked at him like, "what are you doing, man?!?" Then he stopped and started Shaking Hell. That was a really serious tease for me, since I have not seen Nature Scene live yet...

Band was pretty spot on and solid for most of the show. There were a few missed cues and parts that were not "on" (Shaking Hell for example, Kim was way "off-beat" with Thurston's bass, but it still all worked out well in the end. I gotta say, too...as far as the Poison Arrow discussion goes, I actually really enjoyed it live, a lot. Lee's part really comes out nicely, and was fun to watch.

Sorry to write so much about this show in the "setlists" thread, but just thought I might share, and did not want to start another whole thread.

See ya tonight in Tulsa! Cain's has always been a fav local venue of mine. I hope any of you first-timers there enjoy it.
Old 07.16.2009, 02:01 PM   #167
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston has been pretty tame banter-wise, it seems.

And yes, Coco is on tour with her parents.
Old 07.16.2009, 02:37 PM   #168
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Thurston has been pretty tame banter-wise, it seems.

And yes, Coco is on tour with her parents.

in Alabama there was the Eric Clapton + shorts debate.

in Atlanta there was the order to steal The Entrance Bands new album.
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2009, 02:38 PM   #169
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
The four shows I saw on the East there was barely anything. Guess he
was just waiting to get to the South, ha.
Old 07.16.2009, 09:54 PM   #170
daniel-san
empty page

daniel-san has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Here's the setlist from the Dallas show (complete with hickory stick) :

sydallassetlist.jpg
daniel-san is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2009, 10:00 PM   #171
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
^Sick second encore.
Old 07.17.2009, 12:04 AM   #172
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
wow, a fucking (potential) 18-song set?!?! this tour is incredible.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2009, 01:05 AM   #173
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
tulsa:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalretina/3728857646/

btw i haven't updated the first post lately because i should have the set lists to date on the site soon...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2009, 01:29 AM   #174
Peterpuff
stalker

The second encore of Dallas did not happen.

The Sprawl was not played at this Tulsa show either... Almost hurts to see it on there, would have liked to have seen that...but they did play Expressway for me (Sorry to the White Cross fans, that would have been nice too).

My story...
Kim, Thurston, Coco, and some other young girl that looked around Coco's age were eating at a little Mexican restaurant down the street from Cain's before the show. I was totally starstruck, they had just gotten their food, and I did not want to bother them outta respect (and prolly cuz I might have peed myself if I had), so I wrote them a short note begging them to play Expressway. I simply mentioned I had seen them many times, did not want to bother their meal, and had yet to see that song live. I told them how it meant the world to me if they would play it, and they did, even dedicating it to me. I know that may mean diddly squat to most of you, but I still can't believe it happened!! This evening was sooooo amazing, and I truly feel complete now...

Thank you, Sonic Youth!

Sincerely,
Kyle
Old 07.17.2009, 01:48 AM   #175
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpuff

The Sprawl was not played at this Tulsa show either... Almost hurts to see it on there, would have liked to have seen that...but they did play Expressway for me (Sorry to the White Cross fans, that would have been nice too).

My story...
Kim, Thurston, Coco, and some other young girl that looked around Coco's age were eating at a little Mexican restaurant down the street from Cain's before the show. I was totally starstruck, they had just gotten their food, and I did not want to bother them outta respect (and prolly cuz I might have peed myself if I had), so I wrote them a short note begging them to play Expressway. I simply mentioned I had seen them many times, did not want to bother their meal, and had yet to see that song live. I told them how it meant the world to me if they would play it, and they did, even dedicating it to me. I know that may mean diddly squat to most of you, but I still can't believe it happened!! This evening was sooooo amazing, and I truly feel complete now...

Thank you, Sonic Youth!

Sincerely,
Kyle

That's a really awesome story. I hope that I'll be able to meet the band as well when I see them in August. Expressway would be great too.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2009, 05:24 AM   #176
stvpttrsn
empty page

stvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant future
...must have been the same place they ate last time round here...yes, thurston dedicated the tune to kyle...great show, two encores...someone may have setlist, I know they also did catholic block and ono soul, I think...

stvpttrsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpuff

My story...

Thank you, Sonic Youth!

Sincerely,
Kyle
stvpttrsn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2009, 02:10 PM   #177
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I waited and waited for a second encore in Dallas, but I eventually left when they turned on all the lights and the sound dude packed up his stuff.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2009, 04:37 PM   #178
Bravewayne
empty page

Bravewayne has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevOK
Yeah, I waited and waited for a second encore in Dallas, but I eventually left when they turned on all the lights and the sound dude packed up his stuff.

I was disappointed with the Dallas show, but I admit I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I have loved this band since Experimental Jet Set, but have yet to see them in concert until Wednesday night.
Sure, they sounded great. But the audience was lackluster -- hardly any dancing. Also, they only played a handful of non-Eternal songs. I like Eternal, but I would really have liked to hear some stuff off Washing Machine, A Thousand Leaves or Rather Ripped. They didn't even play Teenage Riot! Is it rude of me to expect better treatment from my favorite band? I mean ... we do fork over the cash for albums, tickets, memorabilia, and I drove four hours to get to this show. Please, someone, make me feel better!
Oh, and I should note that I will be going to see them again Saturday night in Kansas City. The show was still amazing, and the band is the best. But I am not as excited because I know 95 percent of the show will be from the Eternal.
Bravewayne is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2009, 05:21 PM   #179
cdollaz
little trouble girl

cdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's asses
No, it's fair. I mean, they should play a six-hour show so that everyone, especially you, would get to hear what they want to hear.
cdollaz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2009, 06:59 PM   #180
slothropian
empty page

slothropian has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravewayne
I was disappointed with the Dallas show, but I admit I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I have loved this band since Experimental Jet Set, but have yet to see them in concert until Wednesday night.
Sure, they sounded great. But the audience was lackluster -- hardly any dancing. Also, they only played a handful of non-Eternal songs. I like Eternal, but I would really have liked to hear some stuff off Washing Machine, A Thousand Leaves or Rather Ripped. They didn't even play Teenage Riot! Is it rude of me to expect better treatment from my favorite band? I mean ... we do fork over the cash for albums, tickets, memorabilia, and I drove four hours to get to this show. Please, someone, make me feel better!
Oh, and I should note that I will be going to see them again Saturday night in Kansas City. The show was still amazing, and the band is the best. But I am not as excited because I know 95 percent of the show will be from the Eternal.

It was my first time seeing them too, and I absolutely loved it.

You should have known going in they were going to play a lot of The Eternal. That's what the tour is called, for Christ's sake.

And the songs they did play that were pre-Eternal are incredible songs by their own merit, made even better by the live performance of each.

Your complaints are stupid.
slothropian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth