Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page best lyricists
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.20.2008, 08:56 AM   #81
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
No More Shall We Part has some of his best lyrics. Listen to them and see how much he's changed since his Birthday Party days:

Big Jesus soulmates Trash Can
fucking rotton business this
bot feet in the bad-boot
siff in the crypt, babay, like a rock
rock-rock-rock
Big-Jesus soul-mates Trash-Can
pumped me fulla Trash at least it smelt like Trash
wears a suit of Gold (got greasy hair)
but God gave me sex appeal
well-well-well-rock
he drives a trash can
he's comin to my town rock rock rock
ro-o-o-o-o-ck!
Big Jesus Oil King down in Texas
drives great holy tanks of gold
screams from heaven's graveyard
American heads will roll in Texas (roll like Daddies meat)
roll under those singing stars of Texas
well-well-well
he drives a trash can
he's coming to my town

is that for better or worse?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 09:07 AM   #82
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
The best rock lyricists are still those who rose to prominence in the '60s: Dylan, Cohen, Morrison and Krieger, Reed, Mitchell, Barrett and Waters, Zappa, Hendrix, Anderson, Sinfield, etc. There have been a few come along since then who are up in that category, but not many.
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 09:09 AM   #83
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
frank zappa? okay. sure.
Old 06.20.2008, 10:22 AM   #84
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
frank zappa? okay. sure.

haha, no kiddin.

hendrix's lyrics were better than he got credit for i think, because people always talk about his guitar playing. but alot of his songs were real poetic likes.

The morning is dead
And the day is, too
There's nothing left here to meet me
But the velvet moon
All my loneliness I have felt today
It's like a little more than enough
To make a man throw himself away

And I continue
To burn the midnight lamp
Alone

Now the smiling portrait of you
Is still hangin' on my frowning wall
It really doesn't, really doesn't bother me too much at all
It's just the ever falling dust
That makes it so hard for me to see
That forgotten earring layin' on the floor
Facing coldly towards the door

I continue
Lord, alone

Loneliness is such a drag

So here I sit to face
That same old fire place
Gettin' ready for the same old explosion
Goin' through my mind
And soon enough time will tell,
About the circus in the wishing well
And someone who will buy and sell for me
Someone to toll my bell

But I continue
Lord, alone
Darlin' can't ya hear me callin' you?
So lonely
Gonna have to blow my mind
Lonely

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 10:26 AM   #85
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Zappa
Muffin man :

The muffin man is seated at the table in the laboratory of the utility muffin
Research kitchen... reaching for an oversized chrome spoon he gathers an
Intimate quantity of dried muffin remnants and brushing his scapular aside
Procceds to dump these inside of his shirt...
He turns to us and speaks:

Some people like cupcakes better. I for one care less for them!

Arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snoot of a fully charged icing
Anointment utensil he poots forths a quarter-ounce green rosette (oh ah yuk
Yuk... lets try that again...!) he poots forth a quarter-ounce green rosette
Near the summit of a dense but radiant muffin of his own design.
Later he says:

Some people... some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say
There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of gods grey
Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!

Girl you thought he was a man
But he was a muffin
He hung around till you found
That he didnt know nuthin

Girl you thought he was a man
But he only was a-puffin
No cries is heard in the night
As a result of him stuffin

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 10:34 AM   #86
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
at your house the smell of our still living human bodies and oven gas
you pray to nothing out loud
two first names and an ampersand
embroidered proudly on a kitchen towel
you're a beautiful and violent work
with a skinny neck of a chinese bird
in a fading ancient painting
and if you're in heaven waiting
you made it there fighting
the tightest kite string
in a bad storm with lightning

and now these few presidents
frowning in my pocket
can persuade no god
to let me let you talk, oh
these few presidents
frowning in my pocket
can persuade no god
to let me let you off

even though i haven't seen you in years
yours is a funeral i'd fly to from anywhere

i thought i had a pebble in my sock
i pulled it off and shook out a wasp
it stumbled out lost, and without a pause
i'm stung as i was, still i stomped it
i thought, there is no paved street worthy
of your perfect scandanavian feet
my crooked chinese fingers groped
the machinery of your throat

and now these few presidents
frowning in my pocket
can persuade no god
to let me let you talk, oh
these few presidents
drowning in my pocket
can persuade no god
to let me let you off

even though i haven't seen you in years
yours is a funeral i'd fly to from anywhere
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 10:35 AM   #87
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
and:
Rain is millions of tiny speech bubbles unused
The collected breaths of mutes
And all our silent exhalations
Where we should've put words
Or words we had no one to tell
Emptied from clouds like clearing horns spit valves
Coming back to us now
To remind us what we meant to say
Or that we meant to say something

Coming down and dying
In one giant quiet
On the streets and cars
Huzzled like jewels in girls' hair
On the fake wool collar of my bomber jacket
And on my glasses and feet

Cut 'em deep and weap out loud
Just dust and just a hair in your mouth
You drink and think you're tonguin' something to shout
But it's just dust and just a hair in your mouth

And now these empty breaths reflect
The feedback of headlights
Push leaves and coffee cups
To lower altitudes and gutters
Rain is confession weather
And we become booths of prayer if we let us

And now these empty breaths reflect
The feedback of headlights
Push leaves and coffee cups
To lower altitudes and gutters
Rain is confession weather
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 10:57 AM   #88
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
Zappa was the best of the '60s humourists as far as lyricists go. The Absolutely Free album, in particular, has some great lyrical snapshots of postwar U.S.; 'Brown Shoes Don't Make It' and 'Status Back Baby' are especially good.
Old 06.20.2008, 12:41 PM   #89
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I've said "NO!" several times to myself in the course of this thread. Bright Eyes I can let pass, but Bob Dylan is just shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 12:52 PM   #90
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Bob Dylan is just shit.

Now that's just silly, isn't it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 12:55 PM   #91
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
I'm 99% sure you're joking, but for the uninitiated, witness the hilarity:

Mars ain’t the kind of place to raise your kids
In fact it’s cold as hell
And there’s no one there to raise them if you did
And all this science I don’t understand
It’s just my job five days a week

I can honestly say that I'm not joking, and that those are great lyrics.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 01:09 PM   #92
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Now that's just silly, isn't it.

By that logic: I have a rhyming dictionary, and a non-sequitur dictionary. I'm also incredibly good at stealing from better writers, and I'm incapable of singing or writing a single chord sequence that's interesting. Can I have an exasperatingly shit but well-paid career forever now please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 01:14 PM   #93
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetengine
The best rock lyricists are still those who rose to prominence in the '60s: Dylan, Cohen, Morrison and Krieger, Reed, Mitchell, Barrett and Waters, Zappa, Hendrix, Anderson, Sinfield, etc. There have been a few come along since then who are up in that category, but not many.
Jim Morrison is horribly overrated.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 01:15 PM   #94
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I can honestly say that I'm not joking, and that those are great lyrics.

what subject do you teach again?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 01:27 PM   #95
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
By that logic: I have a rhyming dictionary, and a non-sequitur dictionary. I'm also incredibly good at stealing from better writers, and I'm incapable of singing or writing a single chord sequence that's interesting. Can I have an exasperatingly shit but well-paid career forever now please?

Have you thought of applying for a job at Vice magazine?

PS. When the supergroup that is Cunt finally gets serious, I nominate you to be the Richard Melzer of the group. What's good enough for Blue Oyster Cult is good enough for us, say I.
Old 06.20.2008, 01:34 PM   #96
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
has no one mentioned nick cave yet????????? im amazed if he hasnt been mentioned

i posted some of cave's lyrics.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 02:22 PM   #97
jetengine
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Jim Morrison is horribly overrated.

Actually, I think there are two or three Morrison-penned pieces that are the best, period, untopped by anyone before or since.
Old 06.20.2008, 03:15 PM   #98
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels

I would assume the latter.
Old 06.20.2008, 07:09 PM   #99
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
I'm fond of a lot Robert Pollard's lyrics. Also, the dudes from Mclusky wrote awesome lyrics. They were genuinely funny too.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2008, 05:18 AM   #100
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Not better or worse, just different.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth