Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page From moik (evol.org) - SY Vinyl
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.16.2008, 12:17 AM   #1
moik
empty page

moik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant future
hello,

this is moik. some of you may remember me from the 90's when i used to run a sonic youth website called evol.org.

no?

anyway - my imac died and i am selling some of my sy vinyl on ebay to raise enough for a new one. i have all these records and i don't even have a turntable. i've never played them.

this includes a never played vinyl copy of a thousand leaves that has my web page (evol.org) on the cover and a note from steve shelley inside. also an sy / hole split seven inch, an sy / nirvana seven inch, and several more.

also - I have a couple of posters that were signed by the entire band. these are extra ones that have been in my closet for ten years. check them out if you are interested:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZm0

so what happened to evol.org?

well to be honest i was spending a lot of time on that and also working on a novel. one day i got on a scale and realized i was 285 pounds! that was winter 1999. I decided that if i didn't do something i'd weigh 300 lbs by summer so i started running, working out etc, and have done ten marathons since then. and i read the novel and realized it was only interesting to me - and just barely!

meanwhile, while i was temporarily away from evol.org (and not for very long), my ISP (magick.net) somehow lost my entire site. it just disappeared. then i wasn;t quick enough to renew my registration for the domain name and some company that steals late registered domain names now owns evol.org.

but that is okay - this site is way better and evol.org was a lot of fun while i did it. i am still a huge sonic youth fan and now i am addicted to last.fm.

i am on last.fm as, what else, moik!

http://www.last.fm/user/moik/

but anyway - don't hesitate to checkout my sy vinyl sale. here it is again:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZm0

note to webmasters of sonicyouth.com:

i still have all the content from evol.org if you want it. i know it is archived here and there but i do have a lot of files including pictures of the gear shortly before it was stolen.

moik is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
howdy moik! very, very long time, no see.

to those who weren't around---evol.org was the fuckin' place to be as a sonic youth fan in the mid-late 90s.

glad to know you're doing okay!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2008, 10:26 PM   #3
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
evol.org, that was indeed the place i hurried to during my early days of net browsing for SY info, good to hear from you moik!
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2008, 11:18 PM   #4
moik
empty page

moik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant futuremoik has a brilliant future
what's up chris? i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people on this board don't remember evol.org. if somebody was, say, in college right now, they'd have been like nine or ten years old when evol.org was up and running.

ha ha - i'm 48! but then again i'm the same age (approximately) as the band members.

moik
Old 01.17.2008, 01:12 AM   #5
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
hmm, it's strange to think of it like that! ten years...

i swiped some of your portland '98 pedal pix from a barely salvageable archive.org expedition of your site. if you have some you'd like to contribute to the gear guide, that would be very cool!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2008, 02:01 AM   #6
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by moik
what's up chris? i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people on this board don't remember evol.org. if somebody was, say, in college right now, they'd have been like nine or ten years old when evol.org was up and running.

ha ha - i'm 48! but then again i'm the same age (approximately) as the band members.

moik

Hey Moik

I'm 36 and I was in college back in those days. I remember using the college computer to wait till evol.org will appear on my screen. It was a very heavy page for those days and for my dial up connection.
Anyway, I used to love the stuff there (but not the colors).
Cheers,
Moshe
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2008, 05:49 AM   #7
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Hi Moik, I'm 27 and I'm an addict...
WHAT the hell guys ha ha, looks like some support group starting posts that way!
Now, said my stupid bit, I was a young boy and visited your site every weekend "stealing" the connection in my father's office on sundays when nobody was around. Good ol' times. Thanks for all your past efforts in putting together that site. Nice to see you here, and hear that you took care of yourself and not only of the website he he .
I don't have a turntable either, so I won't be of much help for your auctions, but I'll spread the info to some friends who might be interested.
Take care!
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2008, 06:23 AM   #8
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Hey Moik... I am 47 and remember looking at your site in the dark ages!

I know that I will be interested in some of the items in your sale... but am scared to look as my bank balance is suffering from advanced Sonicitis...

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2008, 06:31 AM   #9
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I love the SY poster in the sale - if I remember rightly, that was on sale on later dates on the DDN tour, after the release of The Whitey Album. I had one (without the signatures!) but God knows what happened to it.

[beg]If your collection includes any Ciccone Youth t-shirts and you want to convert them to cash, please contact me before you contact ebay.[/beg]
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2008, 08:11 AM   #10
saoq
bad moon rising

saoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to behold
wow the evol.org was so much fun. fuck i used to go to your site w/ a shitty 14.4 modem//
how was that statement on the index page? something about "best viewed .... w/ a beer" or smth.
anyways, that was good times
saoq is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2008, 08:38 AM   #11
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
remeber your page as well! used to browse in internet cafes, searching for some sy info. nice one!

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2008, 08:48 AM   #12
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Hey Moik! I remember evol.org! That's awesome that yr still trolling around. Good to hear from you.

Too bad you put that shiz on ebay. I probably would've made an offer on this or that... but I don't like ebay very much. Psh.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2008, 09:16 AM   #13
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoq
how was that statement on the index page? something about "best viewed .... w/ a beer" or smth. anyways, that was good times

good times indeed! evol.org and alt.sonic.youth!
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2008, 09:21 AM   #14
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69

and PAINTBOX FTP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01.17.2008, 10:49 AM   #15
moik
empty page

wow - thanks for all the kind words.

chris - send me yr email address and i'll send you the rest of the gear pics.

if you remember evol.org as a sort of busy, crowded page - that was on purpose. i wouldn't do well in today's world of elegant web design. my thinking was that since sonic youth was "difficult" music (compared to mainstream music) that often morphed into total chaos i would make evol.org similarly difficult - that is to say there was NOISE, the backgrounds were often extremely busy and the print maybe a little hard to read on certain pages. and there were sometimes links that weren't obvious and could easily be missed. kind of annoying at times.

i think it said, on the top:

this page is best viewed with netscape . . . and a beer and a ciggie wouldn't hurt either.

btw - i did that page with a dial up - that's all most people had back then; and i learned html by looking at other pages with "view source." and then copying the html tags into notepad. it was a lot of fun. try view source now and it is clear that not many people write html that way anymore!

yeh, and alt.music.sonic-youth was my obsession back than a lot of fun. the best part was when at one point thurston and lee (mostly thurston) started posting to the forum.

i knew they were real,but most of the regulars thought they were fake, you know, people pretending to be thurston and lee. (thurston was fempriest and lee was eyemote) and there were other people who were fake - pretending to be band members. and thurston (fempriest) was purposely ambiguous as to whether or not it was really him. so here were the biggest sonic youth fans telling thurston to shut up and quit pretending he was thurston - it was pretty funny. i bet it is all archived on google "groups."

anyway, thanks for all your kind words.

m
Old 01.17.2008, 10:53 AM   #16
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I don't know why that just reminded me of this: but does anyone remember back in like 2000 or so when there was that rumor on the sy board that Thurston had gotten into some brutal car accident or something like that? It was weird. Almost urban legendy.
Old 01.17.2008, 10:58 AM   #17
moik
empty page

re: fempriest

this is an example from google archive:
++++++++++++++++++archive+++++++++++++++++

In <3jd7uj$...@cmcl2.NYU.EDU> kmf8...@ACFcluster.nyu.edu writes:
>Alright FEmPriEST, I'm sure you understand why I don't believe that you
>are Thurston Moore. This medium, combined with some inherent psychological
>factors that come with this type of newsgroup, is ripe for this type of
>scam. We all want to believe that Thurston Moore is part of our group,
>enough so that we're willing to be laughably naive. If you're a fake,
>fuck you, you're trash. Indulge your need for attention somewhere else.
>I have one question that will prove if you are Thurston or not. When
>I met you at Kim's--by the way, we talked about touring, vinyl,babies,
>and Charles Gale, I didn't ask for Steve's address--you were wearing a
>Kangol knit hat. I remember it well. Describe the color scheme and
>design and I'll post whether or not your answer is correct.
>kevin

YEAh actually while we're at it I have a question for you too-What college
are you playing at on the last weekend of April? (I do believe you are
Thurston, by the way.)

++++++++++++++++end quote++++++++++++++++++++++

check it out:

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...10&sa=N&hl=en&
Old 01.17.2008, 11:16 AM   #18
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I used to go to evol.org. hi

I will check out yr auctions for I so love sonic youth
Old 01.17.2008, 11:34 AM   #19
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by moik
i bet it is all archived on google "groups."

m

iŽd like to read some of it. any chance someone would know to google it out and paste link?

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2008, 12:13 PM   #20
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69

i'm 33, and I remember alt.sonic.youth i was in my first year or two of college this was back when i first dicovered the web on the schools computer system and the "internet" was this small world and only existed in txt format!!!
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth